Recruitment and Retention for 2023

Ryan

SGI Jersey Flegg
I rate the Feagai's but yesterday really underlined their lack of pace.
  • Tyrell Sloan keep
  • Ben Murdoch-Masila bye
  • Cody Ramsey ?
  • Francis Molo bye
  • Jack de Belin retire?
  • Jack Bird (MO) ?
  • Jaiyden Hunt bye
  • Jaydn Su’A keep
  • Mathew Feagai ?
  • Max Feagai ?
  • Moses Suli ?
  • Paul Turner bye
  • Talatau Amone ?
  • Zane Musgrove ?
De Belin might be ok for one more year and surely be eligible for long-service salary cap dispensation. He must be eligible for that already.

Eric

Staff
Matt Lodge is going to be on the move again. When it first came out he was leaving the Warriors, I was very much in favour of signing him. Not anymore. His form from what I've seen isn't very good but not that bad either. Makes me think even more the stories about him and the effect he has on team unity and morale are true.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
A red V member just told me that he has received an email to the effect that there is a forum on next Tuesday where Ryan and Webb will be present.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Interesting. Was it scheduled randomly or well in advance?
My understanding was that this wasn't on the cards just the board meeting announced last month for this month but the member backlash especially through various social media platforms have instigated this.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup

DRAGONS DUO WANT OUT

The Dragons struggles are starting to take their toll with reports of players wanting out. Anthony Griffin’s side site 16th on the ladder prompting speculation the embattled coach could be shown the door within weeks. Now Nine’s Danny Weidler reports there could be others trying to make an exit. “There’s been a bit of talk coming out (of Kogarah) that a couple of players may not necessarily want to be there,” Weidler said on Monday 100% Footy. “I’m hearing that Jaydn Su’A is getting linked to a couple of clubs. That will obviously get denied by Su’A, but that’s what’s going on.”

Weidler then said he had heard rumours that Jack Bird had been calling rival clubs. “Jack has somehow got wind of me chasing that story up and rang me today (and) got on the front foot and said he is going to be a Dragon and is staying a Dragon,” he said. “There’s definitely been something going on, but Jack wants it to be made clear he is staying with the Dragons.”

Eric

Staff

DRAGONS CONTRACTED PLAYERS​

OFF CONTRACT END OF SEASON 2023

• Billy Burns - bye
  • Jack de Belin (PO 2024) - One more year, 2025
  • Tyrell Fuimaono - Where's he gone? Another who fell out with Griffin?
  • Nick Lui-Toso - Like what I saw but that isn't much. Obviously
  • Moses Mbye - bye
  • Tautau Moga - bye
  • Mikaele Ravalawa (PO, 2024) - Don't re-sign him unless he can make a successful transition into the forwards.
  • Josh Kerr - Good riddence

OFF CONTRACT END OF SEASON 2024

• Talatau Amone - Good luck from now. Better improve a lot.
  • Jack Bird (MO, 2025) - Might be good to keep around as a utility.
  • Mathew Feagai - Sadly, not what we hoped.
  • Max Feagai - as above.
  • Jaiyden Hunt - I guess he just doesn't have enough stamina.
  • Francis Molo (PO, 2024) - bye
  • Michael Molo - Better than his more fancied brother.
  • Ben Murdoch-Masila - bye
  • Zane Musgrove - Liked what I saw so far. Why he was dropped is a mystery to me.
  • Cody Ramsey - Good luck in the first 10 rounds next year. Has the speed we dearly need. Needs to bulk up to play on the wing.
  • Tyrell Sloan - I think, or hope, a new coach will get the best out of him.
  • Jaydn Su‘A - Not sure.
  • Moses Suli - Might be a spot for him on the wing with a fast winger outside of him.
  • Paul Turner - bye
(who knows what will happen so far in the future)

OFF CONTRACT END OF SEASON 2025

• Toby Couchman,
  • Viliami Fifita
  • Ben Hunt
  • Jayden Sullivan
  • Jacob Liddle (PO, 2026)

OFF CONTRACT END OF SEASON 2026

• Zac Lomax
  • Blake Lawrie

DEVELOPMENT LIST

• Jackson Shereb 2024 - Hope he comes good but doubtful at this stage.
  • Alec Tuitavake 2024 - Who is he?
  • Connor Muhleisen 2023 - Not going so well in NSW Cup. Maybe Declan Purcell is going to be the long-term hooker.
  • Josh Coric 2024 - Stay
  • Sione Fainu 2023 - Stay

Ryan

SGI Jersey Flegg

DRAGONS CONTRACTED PLAYERS​

OFF CONTRACT END OF SEASON 2024

• Talatau Amone - Good luck from now. Better improve a lot.
  • Jack Bird (MO, 2025) - Might be good to keep around as a utility.
  • Mathew Feagai - Sadly, not what we hoped.
  • Max Feagai - as above.
  • Jaiyden Hunt - I guess he just doesn't have enough stamina.
  • Francis Molo (PO, 2024) - bye
  • Michael Molo - Better than his more fancied brother.
  • Ben Murdoch-Masila - bye
  • Zane Musgrove - Liked what I saw so far. Why he was dropped is a mystery to me.
  • Cody Ramsey - Good luck in the first 10 rounds next year. Has the speed we dearly need. Needs to bulk up to play on the wing.
  • Tyrell Sloan - I think, or hope, a new coach will get the best out of him.
  • Jaydn Su‘A - Not sure.
  • Moses Suli - Might be a spot for him on the wing with a fast winger outside of him.
  • Paul Turner - bye
(who knows what will happen so far in the future)
Feagai's have both shown they have the talent but just seems they are not committed enough. Defence last weekend showed that again.

Eric

Staff
Alex McKinnon making a lot of sense here! I'm a Ben Hunt fan. Have been since day 1. When he was playing poorly, I always put it down to Paul McGregor's coaching. And Hunt's form since Mary was sent packing has vindicated me. But the bottom line is that the team isn't winning with him. What would be the point having him even if he was Reg Gasnier, Johhny Raper and Graham Langlands rolled into one if he wasn't leading the team to success?

OPINION

Everyone thinks the Dragons No. 1 priority is to keep Ben Hunt - but I say it’s time to part ways with the champion playmaker. There are a lot of quality players on the market FOR 2024 and the Dragons already have money to spend, they’ll have even more if they move on Hunt.

Hunt is a great player but they haven’t won with him and St George Illawarra shouldn’t be looking for short-term success, they need a full rebuild under a veteran coach. They need an experienced coach to come in and build the club around their young talent in Junior Amone, Jayden Sullivan and Tyrell Sloan.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
Alex McKinnon making a lot of sense here! I'm a Ben Hunt fan. Have been since day 1. When he was playing poorly, I always put it down to Paul McGregor's coaching. And Hunt's form since Mary was sent packing has vindicated me. But the bottom line is that the team isn't winning with him. What would be the point having him even if he was Reg Gasnier, Johhny Raper and Graham Langlands rolled into one if he wasn't leading the team to success?

OPINION

Everyone thinks the Dragons No. 1 priority is to keep Ben Hunt - but I say it’s time to part ways with the champion playmaker. There are a lot of quality players on the market FOR 2024 and the Dragons already have money to spend, they’ll have even more if they move on Hunt.

Hunt is a great player but they haven’t won with him and St George Illawarra shouldn’t be looking for short-term success, they need a full rebuild under a veteran coach. They need an experienced coach to come in and build the club around their young talent in Junior Amone, Jayden Sullivan and Tyrell Sloan.

Nice idea. Who is going to replace Amone, Sloan and Hunt?

QDF

SGI Jersey Flegg
Agree. It is kind of weird. I can only guess the club's happy with the young guys already in the squad or who will be from the next year. The backline is already pretty much set for a number of years. Only Hunt won't be around in 5 years, either at St George Illawarra or another club, and we have a replacement for him ready to go.

The forwards are the opposite. Su'a will be around. A few others might be veterans in 5 years but just as likely they'll be veterans in the NSW Cup or ESL. Been big wraps on two backrowers expected to be in the squad next year but no guarantee at all they'll make it in the NRL yet. Hunt and especially Coric are young but ditto for the guarantee about making it in the NRL.

So to cut a long story short, I honestly have no idea. Seems like a massive gamble relying on several young players yet to prove themselves in the NRL to make a the majority of the forward pack within 2 years.
Have to wait and see,
Flanno will want a say in some players. Two or three forwards & a couple of backs for sure. A fullback a certainty. Hope Ramsey is ready for a preseason.

QDF

SGI Jersey Flegg
Ramsey fullback. Or Triegh Stewart. Neither is as talented as Sloan but they don't go missing for all or a very large part of games.
Take Ramsey over Sloane any day of the week.
Sloane needs to grow a backbone. He's just to scared to tackle. Don't think I've ever seen a worst
tackling style in my life, it's that bad.Just refuses to use his shoulders. This kid has had enough chances.
His woeful defence has cost use many games this season. He must go. Lacks ticker. Waste of time & money.