Recruitment and Retention for 2023

Illusion

SGI Jersey Flegg
Ramsey fullback. Or Triegh Stewart. Neither is as talented as Sloan but they don't go missing for all or a very large part of games.
Yep , if I had a choice of a fullback that we could get , it would be Drinkwater from the Cowboys , and can play a couple of positions ....... Do you guys remember I think , he was a 7 that signed for us from Manly , Drinkwater was his name .......

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
Take Ramsey over Sloane any day of the week.
Sloane needs to grow a backbone. He's just to scared to tackle. Don't think I've ever seen a worst
tackling style in my life, it's that bad.Just refuses to use his shoulders. This kid has had enough chances.
His woeful defence has cost use many games this season. He must go. Lacks ticker. Waste of time & money.
I agree. It's so unfortunate because he's certainly talented. He can get a chance to toughen up and learn how to tackle in reserve grade. Tackling and running into the defence is about courage and commitment, not talent. Slaon has all the talent, none of the courage or commitment.

Illusion

SGI Jersey Flegg
I agree. It's so unfortunate because he's certainly talented. He can get a chance to toughen up and learn how to tackle in reserve grade. Tackling and running into the defence is about courage and commitment, not talent. Slaon has all the talent, none of the courage or commitment.
Yep needs to harden up .......

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
Yep , if I had a choice of a fullback that we could get , it would be Drinkwater from the Cowboys , and can play a couple of positions ....... Do you guys remember I think , he was a 7 that signed for us from Manly , Drinkwater was his name .......
Pretty sure he's signed long term with NQ. That was the reason Tabuai-Fidow went to the Dolphins.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
Agree. It is kind of weird. I can only guess the club's happy with the young guys already in the squad or who will be from the next year. The backline is already pretty much set for a number of years. Only Hunt won't be around in 5 years, either at St George Illawarra or another club, and we have a replacement for him ready to go.

The forwards are the opposite. Su'a will be around. A few others might be veterans in 5 years but just as likely they'll be veterans in the NSW Cup or ESL. Been big wraps on two backrowers expected to be in the squad next year but no guarantee at all they'll make it in the NRL yet. Hunt and especially Coric are young but ditto for the guarantee about making it in the NRL.

So to cut a long story short, I honestly have no idea. Seems like a massive gamble relying on several young players yet to prove themselves in the NRL to make a the majority of the forward pack within 2 years.
This didn't age well. The backline might be young but needs a complete overhaul. I think only 2 will be there is 2 years. Lomax and Amone or Sullivan. I know Suli is playing well but he doesn't do much except run hard. Needs to make the transition into the backrow or gone. Just my opinion.

Eric

Staff

St George Illawarra Dragons​

ROSTER SPOTS LEFT: 2
HEALTH CHECK: B
Jack de Belin (head knock, R16), Cody Ramsey (illness, season), Tyrell Fuimaono (hip, indefinite), Jack Bird (rested, R17)

WHO THEY NEED TO SIGN​

Luke Thompson. He is on the verge of coming back from a serious foot injury but the Dragons are looking to adding to their forward stocks. Long-term the Dragons should look to sign Connor Watson from the Roosters. Despite being sidelined for another month because of injury, he would give Jacob Liddle some much needed competition at the back end of the year and next.

According to DT.
No thanks regarding Connor Watson. But thanks for the pitch. Yes please regarding Luke Thompson.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
We have 6 Top 30s that need booting, BMM, Fuimono, Turner, Billy Burns, Tui Losa, Moga.. any more. Kerr leaving opens another spot while the Fegais may be also be out the door as their defense is not First standard. If the case that is 9 new Top 30 spots to fill. Josh Coric should fill one.

Reactions: QDF

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
We have 6 Top 30s that need booting, BMM, Fuimono, Turner, Billy Burns, Tui Losa, Moga.. any more. Kerr leaving opens another spot while the Fegais may be also be out the door as their defense is not First standard. If the case that is 9 new Top 30 spots to fill. Josh Coric should fill one.
Fuimaono, Burns, Tui Loso, Moga all off contract. Don't mind the first as a minimum wage depth signing.

Eric

Staff
Is it time to change this thread to 2024?
I agree but in my personal opinion, this thread is already 79 pages. With a new coach, a new start, a lot of turnover coming, I think it might be time for a new thread. Just my opinion. Go ahead and do that or keep this one going and I'll change it to 2024 in a few weeks.