Recruitment and Retention for 2025

Dave03

SGI Jersey Flegg
They tried Brimson in the halves. Just didn't work out. I think he will be the one given permission to look elsewhere. Campbell goes pretty well at 5/8.

I'm pretty sure they re-signed him this season to a big long term contract. I can't see them giving up on him now.

Dave03

SGI Jersey Flegg
If Cook wasn't recruited, I could have gone along with that but now, not sure that's a good idea. But LKT is a must to start at 5/8.

Hopefully unless you're an A-grade player in our team then your spot isn't guaranteed. I want the likes of LKT/Flanno/Sloan/CT/all the middles bar JDB to fight for a top 17 spot in the off-season. I think flanno will be very tough & get their competitive spirit out of them. They've had a season to understand Flanno & vice versa, now the real coaching begins.

The only locks in the team at the moment should be:

3. Suli
1 or 4. Holmes
7. Hunt
9. Cook
11. Sua
12. Luciano
13. JDB
14. Liddle

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
Hopefully unless you're an A-grade player in our team then your spot isn't guaranteed. I want the likes of LKT/Flanno/Sloan/CT/all the middles bar JDB to fight for a top 17 spot in the off-season. I think flanno will be very tough & get their competitive spirit out of them. They've had a season to understand Flanno & vice versa, now the real coaching begins.

The only locks in the team at the moment should be:

3. Suli
1 or 4. Holmes
7. Hunt
9. Cook
11. Sua
12. Luciano
13. JDB
14. Liddle
Fully agree!

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Why? I honestly believe he's a 5/8 who can't pass while running. I'm probably wrong because that is just ridiculous but after watching LKT in his one run on game running to the defence and passing, not catching and passing immediately or running, not even looking like passing as Kyle does, I wondered.
When I speak of a game manager I am speaking about a player that can read the ebbs and flows of the game. A player who is in the position to change or adjust a game plan on the field depending on the circumstances and be able to communicate that to the other players on the field. An example would be that we have no go forward instead of waiting for 5 one out hit ups kick earlier in the tackle count to turn the opposition around and not allow them to dictate the play. Flanagan is not that type of player neither is Hunt unfortunately. Just my views.

Dave03

SGI Jersey Flegg
How do you guys feel about LKT's lack of pace? it worries me tbh. I hope he's working with some speed coaches, he also needs to develop one elite skill in the next few seasons if he wants to become a regular 1st grade 5/8th.

TheRev

SGI Jersey Flegg
How do you guys feel about LKT's lack of pace? it worries me tbh. I hope he's working with some speed coaches, he also needs to develop one elite skill in the next few seasons if he wants to become a regular 1st grade 5/8th.
Yup this is my concern.. probably better to use the word 'acceleration' though (its the same issue as Lomax, his top speed is fine, its just getting there).. if LKT is the next Cam Munster or Luke Brooks then its all good, his skill set will make up for that speed.. and hes faster than Kyle.. but for a young 6 with decent feet and who runs good lines.. but not able to accelerate through a gap.. he is missing the biggest weapon... and it will put a lot of pressure on the other parts of his game to be immaculate.

It was a non issue @ SG Ball level where the defence was much slower and he had speed up before hitting the line.... but his next job is to find some consistency at NSW Cup level, thats where he needs to improve in 2025, he has to keep growing, and prove that he is no where near his ceiling.

Someone like Hammoud or Reed will be hot on his heels also.. both I think are much quicker off the mark, Reed would also bring a big kicking game.. but we wont know till next year, and injuries willing etc.

Edward

SGI Jersey Flegg
I thought he showed some decent toe for a 5/8. I'd guess he's faster than Munster.

Acceleration might be an issue.

Illusion

SGI Jersey Flegg
Yup this is my concern.. probably better to use the word 'acceleration' though (its the same issue as Lomax, his top speed is fine, its just getting there).. if LKT is the next Cam Munster or Luke Brooks then its all good, his skill set will make up for that speed.. and hes faster than Kyle.. but for a young 6 with decent feet and who runs good lines.. but not able to accelerate through a gap.. he is missing the biggest weapon... and it will put a lot of pressure on the other parts of his game to be immaculate.

It was a non issue @ SG Ball level where the defence was much slower and he had speed up before hitting the line.... but his next job is to find some consistency at NSW Cup level, thats where he needs to improve in 2025, he has to keep growing, and prove that he is no where near his ceiling.

Someone like Hammoud or Reed will be hot on his heels also.. both I think are much quicker off the mark, Reed would also bring a big kicking game.. but we wont know till next year, and injuries willing etc.
Haven't seen enough of him to think he will be a long term 5/8 and if speed is a problem then not sure as the games getting quicker ........ This is why a player like Martin from the Warriors for me would be a good fit for a couple of years , very talented player ........

Dave03

SGI Jersey Flegg

I think Hammoud could be our long term halfback, he's got a few good qualities & leadership to boot. He's also played with the gun SG ball side, so having that chemistry in top grade would be helpful too. I'm bullish on him but long way to go, like all young players.

I think our current recruitment should be aimed at signing players to max 3 year contracts as it would give us time to see which younger players we can persist with in 1st grade & where our deficiencies lie. We've got soo many great youngsters coming through the grades.

Flanno in the podcast said they've already got a 2-3 year plan set up. He knows what is coming through the system, it's just ensuring we've got the right environment for their development. Young players aren't patient, they either want 1st grade opportunities or be in a winning/finals challenging environment imo.

TheRev

SGI Jersey Flegg
I think Hammoud could be our long term halfback, he's got a few good qualities & leadership to boot. He's also played with the gun SG ball side, so having that chemistry in top grade would be helpful too. I'm bullish on him but long way to go, like all young players.

I think our current recruitment should be aimed at signing players to max 3 year contracts as it would give us time to see which younger players we can persist with in 1st grade & where our deficiencies lie. We've got soo many great youngsters coming through the grades.

Flanno in the podcast said they've already got a 2-3 year plan set up. He knows what is coming through the system, it's just ensuring we've got the right environment for their development. Young players aren't patient, they either want 1st grade opportunities or be in a winning/finals challenging environment imo.
It's a tricky situation.. we have some free Development Positions next year (I think LKT will take 1 of them), 2026 however, we have 5 out of 6 positions already taken.. not including LKT or Hammoud.. plus there will be others come up by then... its gonna get tricky to manage.. and I assume we have to sit down with LKT's management in the next month or 2 to sort it (and he will no doubt be asking for Top30 by 2026 at the latest).. I dunno.. he played a lot more first grade than anyone could have expected (due to having 3 halves suspended or injured) which might put some pressure on those negotiations.. im not sure what we will do, or how hard Flanno wants to go to back him.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
It's a tricky situation.. we have some free Development Positions next year (I think LKT will take 1 of them), 2026 however, we have 5 out of 6 positions already taken.. not including LKT or Hammoud.. plus there will be others come up by then... its gonna get tricky to manage.. and I assume we have to sit down with LKT's management in the next month or 2 to sort it (and he will no doubt be asking for Top30 by 2026 at the latest).. I dunno.. he played a lot more first grade than anyone could have expected (due to having 3 halves suspended or injured) which might put some pressure on those negotiations.. im not sure what we will do, or how hard Flanno wants to go to back him.
LKT might take Birds top 30 spot.

TheRev

SGI Jersey Flegg
I dont see LKT as being our back up half (i.e. our Marschke).. I think someone like Ilias or Boyd is the backup half, i.e. an experienced first grader who could still lead us to finals if we copped an injury.. its difficult to make the call until we know if we can offload Hunt though...

For LKT I think ideally a Dev position for 2025 and the debate is around Top30 for 2026.. I'd prefer to talk about it next season and see how he's travelling, but his management may want it locked in sooner. But you have to understand if we lock him in, we are going to have a lot of trouble fitting/retaining Hammoud... every early signing has consequence.

Note: As for Birds spot, it got used up by Eisenhuth temporarily.. remember we are still chasing an outside back and a big prop for our last 2 spots... those are in negotiation now.. im sure we will clear more spots shortly.. its nothing we have heard publicly though.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
I dont see LKT as being our back up half (i.e. our Marschke).. I think someone like Ilias or Boyd is the backup half, i.e. an experienced first grader who could still lead us to finals if we copped an injury.. its difficult to make the call until we know if we can offload Hunt though...

For LKT I think ideally a Dev position for 2025 and the debate is around Top30 for 2026.. I'd prefer to talk about it next season and see how he's travelling, but his management may want it locked in sooner. But you have to understand if we lock him in, we are going to have a lot of trouble fitting/retaining Hammoud... every early signing has consequence.

Note: As for Birds spot, it got used up by Eisenhuth temporarily.. remember we are still chasing an outside back and a big prop for our last 2 spots... those are in negotiation now.. im sure we will clear more spots shortly.. its nothing we have heard publicly though.
He went from SG Ball to FG in one season. I think the club has high hopes in him. He spent most of last season in NSW Cup.

Probably go with Flanno to start the season but pressure should be on. Maybe give them both a chance in the trials.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Agree didn't see too much of him in 1sts but if you are lacking speed then to be honest you need other skills which a 5/8 is required to have to remain there. Time will tell.