Recruitment and Retention for 2025

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
Sloane would be NSW Cup (cant play wing if you get picked up when you run), but we would finally have fullback depth.. Gutho would also fix our backline depth issues covering 1/3/6, but its just rumour at this point.. we have to wait and see.
But he's way, way past his best. That's why Parramatta are moving him.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
Sloane would be NSW Cup (cant play wing if you get picked up when you run), but we would finally have fullback depth.. Gutho would also fix our backline depth issues covering 1/3/6, but its just rumour at this point.. we have to wait and see.
I just read St George are apparently interested in Gutherson and my head almost exploded! Why would Parra are getting rid of him to make way for a young, unproven import only for the Dragons to pick him up to play fullback? Is that what we have become? A last ditch destination for blokes not wanted anywhere else? And fullback is his only possible position. We already have Corey Allen.

TheRev

SGI Jersey Flegg
Gutho is 1/3/6 (i.e. he fixes all our backline depth issues), but more importantly an experienced head to replace Hunt, and if he does start @ fullback, finally we stop leaking points and can stay in games.

Parra will want him gone cause hes on big coin this year and he has the sh1ts @ the club. As of right now hes signed though but watch this space as the Hunt drama unfolds.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
Gutho is 1/3/6 (i.e. he fixes all our backline depth issues), but more importantly an experienced head to replace Hunt, and if he does start @ fullback, finally we stop leaking points and can stay in games.

Parra will want him gone cause hes on big coin this year and he has the sh1ts @ the club. As of right now hes signed though but watch this space as the Hunt drama unfolds.
Crappy 1/3/6. I don't see how he can play 3. He'd get belted in attack and defence. I've never seen anything that would make me think he's a better 6 than LKT. And his time at 1 has come and gone. Why the second last placed team don't want him playing there. They don't want him in the centres either despite one of their first choice centres leaving. They already have a decent 5/8 so obvious he can't play there for Parra.

TheRev

SGI Jersey Flegg
Time will tell, it seems like sadly we're still not having the cut-through we wanted with recruitment.. we're not getting the players we want, nor the ones behind them.. nor the ones behind them.. so we will be signing reserve graders.. As such I suspect for yet another year, we're not going to be able to spend our salary cap.. to me that's a chance to speculate on some short contracts and pay a bit more to give us some options for 2025.. spend the money imo.

In terms of Gutho I will say he has been playing with 3 broken ribs & a torn quad.. I have no idea what sort of impact that had on him late in the season.

And in terms of Hunt, that's a separate transaction, he is still only going if we get a replacement.. but if we cant come up with a deal we are happy with.. what the hell is he gonna do.. we might be past the point of no return.. but trying to be patient while it all plays out.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
Time will tell, it seems like sadly we're still not having the cut-through we wanted with recruitment.. we're not getting the players we want, nor the ones behind them.. nor the ones behind them.. so we will be signing reserve graders.. As such I suspect for yet another year, we're not going to be able to spend our salary cap.. to me that's a chance to speculate on some short contracts and pay a bit more to give us some options for 2025.. spend the money imo.
Young players are the go. LKT for example might not be the best 5/8 next year but will be better than the average reject from other clubs, like Gutherson or Kyle. His defence is already better. Canberra targeted him but he more than held his own. No grabbing around the ankles and holding on like Kyle but with good hits with the shoulder.
In terms of Gutho I will say he has been playing with 3 broken ribs & a torn quad.. I have no idea what sort of impact that had on him late in the season.
Where did you hear that? In any rate, it's not true. With a broken rib even breathing is very painful. With a torn quad, a person can barely walk.
And in terms of Hunt, that's a separate transaction, he is still only going if we get a replacement.. but if we cant come up with a deal we are happy with.. what the hell is he gonna do.. we might be past the point of no return.. but trying to be patient while it all plays out.
Yep

TheRev

SGI Jersey Flegg
Young players are the go.
Not just aiming this at you, but many on this forum seem convinced that every difficult recruitment situation we have is solved by throwing above average 19yr olds into first grade.. problem fixt... its just not how it works, the coaching staff who have won premierships know that.. their not incompetent...

I'm pretty much giving up trying to explain it.. the good clubs are good because they let their kids develop properly through the grades.. and when they hit first grade they are ready to go, the Storm is the perfect example.. these 'rookies' coming in have been destroying reserve grade for years.. yes there is the very occasional exception.. but only if there is a glut of injuries, and its a few games (not an entire season).. if you want to destroy a kids career.. play him before he's ready.. a couple of losses and missed tackles.. and fans are calling for 'next'.

Where did you hear that? In any rate, it's not true. With a broken rib even breathing is very painful. With a torn quad, a person can barely walk.
This is why he's the captain, they talked about it in the presser after the match you can google it, or here is the physio talking about it: https://x.com/nrlphysio/status/1832301678554485137

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
Not just aiming this at you, but many on this forum seem convinced that every difficult recruitment situation we have is solved by throwing above average 19yr olds into first grade.. problem fixt... its just not how it works, the coaching staff who have won premierships know that.. their not incompetent...
100% agree but that will work before recruiting 30 year-olds not wanted by their current clubs or any others.
I'm pretty much giving up trying to explain it.. the good clubs are good because they let their kids develop properly through the grades.. and when they hit first grade they are ready to go, the Storm is the perfect example.. these 'rookies' coming in have been destroying reserve grade for years.. yes there is the very occasional exception.. but only if there is a glut of injuries, and its a few games (not an entire season).. if you want to destroy a kids career.. play him before he's ready.. a couple of losses and missed tackles.. and fans are calling for 'next'.
Fair enough. We have Sloan and Allen. Both in first grade for more than 2 years. Both well into their 20s. We don't need Gutherson.
This is why he's the captain, they talked about it in the presser after the match you can google it, or here is the physio talking about it: https://x.com/nrlphysio/status/1832301678554485137
Parra are lying because they want someone to pick up the last year of his 900k contract. Making excuses for his poor form. The worst possible was bruised ribs and that would have to be lightly bruised with painkilling injections and a lot of padding.

I don't buy it anyway. For one reason or another he's always been a media favourite. Even more than Hunt. They always exaggerated what he did well and glossed over his bad play. They are pushing for the Dragons to sign him. No indication at all the Dragons are interested.

Red T

SGI Jersey Flegg
I think Sloan will be great on the wing with another pre season behind him.

I cannot see Gutho coming off the bench. So he comes here but only if Parramatta chip in.

Jason Ryles said he was a Parramatta fan when he was a boy. Maybe that is why he rejected St George !

He is making a lot of big calls but I think they will struggle next year.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup

I cannot see Gutho coming off the bench. So he comes here but only if Parramatta chip in.

Jason Ryles said he was a Parramatta fan when he was a boy. Maybe that is why he rejected St George !

I can't see Sloan making it on the wing. Maybe centre. I can't see Gutherson coming to the Dragons to play NSW Cup.

I think Ryles was promised the Melbourne job with Bellamy planning to retire. But then Bellamy changed his mind.

Eric

Staff

I can't see Sloan making it on the wing. Maybe centre. I can't see Gutherson coming to the Dragons to play NSW Cup.

I think Ryles was promised the Melbourne job with Bellamy planning to retire. But then Bellamy changed his mind.
For 450k with Parra chipping in the same amont for the first year, he wouldn't be the worst signing. Like an enhanced Jack Bird. If Sloan is screwing up at fullback, there's that option and there is 5/8 or centre. Again, not a first choice starter but in case of injuries or Fegai or Kyle Flanno or LKT not cutting it. Need some decent depth in the backs. He's a back up goal kicker as well.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
For 450k with Parra chipping in the same amont for the first year, he wouldn't be the worst signing. Like an enhanced Jack Bird. If Sloan is screwing up at fullback, there's that option and there is 5/8 or centre. Again, not a first choice starter but in case of injuries or Fegai or Kyle Flanno or LKT not cutting it. Need some decent depth in the backs. He's a back up goal kicker as well.
Wouldn't be the worst. Wouldn't be good either.

Edward

SGI Jersey Flegg
A backline version of Eisenhuth. Eisenhuth goes ok but we need more than ok. 3/4 of the team goes ok.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup

I'll back you there. In my personal experiences albeit only in what is now known as NSW Cup/ Reserve grade coaching it was never ever encouraged by those coaches and assistant coaches that our club had to rush the next big thing through. Now yes that cost us some good players who became 1st grade players who were enticed away from the club with the promise of being chosen automatically for 1sts in the other club which also came with its financial gains. In saying that rushing through youngsters/ rising stars into 1sts does those players and the club a disservice. There is a big step up from playing back then in your U21 team then Reserve grade team to 1sts both physically and mentally. I always found patience and good communication with those players always stood both the players and club in good stead. Natural talent will only get you so far. Flanagan and his assistant coaches will know who is capable of playing 1sts and guide and develop the skillset of those players. This will ultimately enhance their careers.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
I'll back you there. In my personal experiences albeit only in what is now known as NSW Cup/ Reserve grade coaching it was never ever encouraged by those coaches and assistant coaches that our club had to rush the next big thing through. Now yes that cost us some good players who became 1st grade players who were enticed away from the club with the promise of being chosen automatically for 1sts in the other club which also came with its financial gains. In saying that rushing through youngsters/ rising stars into 1sts does those players and the club a disservice. There is a big step up from playing back then in your U21 team then Reserve grade team to 1sts both physically and mentally. I always found patience and good communication with those players always stood both the players and club in good stead. Natural talent will only get you so far. Flanagan and his assistant coaches will know who is capable of playing 1sts and guide and develop the skillset of those players. This will ultimately enhance their careers.
I 100% agree as well. But even worse is relying on 30 year-olds no other club wants. Think McGuire, Macca, Eisenhuth, RFM, BMM and more. I think all of them went alright but how much good has signing them made?

Ryan

SGI Jersey Flegg
I 100% agree as well. But even worse is relying on 30 year-olds no other club wants. Think McGuire, Macca, Eisenhuth, RFM, BMM and more. I think all of them went alright but how much good has signing them made?
A balance is required but I think everyone will over the last 15 years, since Bennett not since Price, Dragons have gone too far one way and not nearly far enough the other. At present we have too many journeyman or fringe first graders but not really any in the backs. Maybe except for Suli but he was good this year and is still young. Kyle Flanno as well but we all know why he was recruited. Allen as well. Actually, maybe we shouldn't go after Gutho unless Kyle or Allen are cleared form the books.

I don't think there is any chance of that.