Recruitment and Retention for 2025

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
I dont rate any of our 19yr old's as first choice first-grade players... nor our first drop injury cover, we need 3 experienced halves in our 30 by start of season.
Definitely agree we need an experienced game manager who has a point to prove

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
Munster, 20 debut, 21 regular, 23 five-eighth.
Luai, 21 debut, 22 regular, 23 five-eighth.
Close enough. Munster did it in a strong team and I think Penrith were on the way up also. We are in a hole. I don't think our 5/8 can pass while running. Maybe it would be better if he was the halfback. Either way, we need LKT to step up from round 1 next year. Unless a decent 5/8 can be recruited.

And I know Munster was a fullback at first. I think more difficult than 5/8 unless the 5/8 can't tackle which LKT can do.

DragonsTragic

SGI Jersey Flegg
Proof some of these journos don't watch the game:

Proszenko noted Sexton “has done a magnificent job” this season, but feels Canterbury’s poor form in the final weeks of the season indicated an upgrade at halfback might be exactly what Cameron Ciraldo’s side needs to take them to the next level.

“But if you look at that last game, I think that was a bit of a wake-up call to some of the club where it’s a game that they dominated (and) if they had an experienced guy like Ben Hunt, potentially that might have been the difference and just got them over the line against Manly,” he said.

When has Ben Hunt ever been the difference in a tough, close game?

Ryan

SGI Jersey Flegg
Proof some of these journos don't watch the game:

Proszenko noted Sexton “has done a magnificent job” this season, but feels Canterbury’s poor form in the final weeks of the season indicated an upgrade at halfback might be exactly what Cameron Ciraldo’s side needs to take them to the next level.

“But if you look at that last game, I think that was a bit of a wake-up call to some of the club where it’s a game that they dominated (and) if they had an experienced guy like Ben Hunt, potentially that might have been the difference and just got them over the line against Manly,” he said.

When has Ben Hunt ever been the difference in a tough, close game?
He played well in the game against Melbourne. But yeah, I get your point. Has happened far too rarely considering the money he is on. But he could have a bit more support with better go-forward for the forwards and faster outside backs.

Illusion

SGI Jersey Flegg
Don't be nervous we have achieved nothing as club since he has been here so if he left it would be impossible to have a worse result than we have been having. Let flanno rebuild and give him time to do so
Exactly this ......... With him they have achieved records all for the wrong reasons ......... Even with two Rookies in the halves it cant get any worse ....... Just my opinion ..........

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
Exactly this ......... With him they have achieved records all for the wrong reasons ......... Even with two Rookies in the halves it cant get any worse ....... Just my opinion ..........
It might be that Flanno wants Reed and LKT to be the long-term halves. But Reed needs a year in NSW Cup. If he signs another halfback, that halfback will want 2 or 3 years.

Just a theory.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
Bulldogs apparently not going to sack JAC because they would have to pay him out and he'd be able to sign with another club immediately. They want to get rid of him but only have to part of the money for his last year. Maybe they would be open to a straight swap with Lawrie.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
Broncos are going to have to let Staggs and/or Cobbo go. Dragons should make a play for Staggs. Cobbo is good but we have an entire backline full of big but not very fast outside backs.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Well 1 player that won't be pulling on the big red v is young Volkman. I don't know the ins and outs of how we treated him but we have been hit with a breach notice and a $40k fine suspended for 2 yrs. Paints a poor picture for those outside looking in.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Lazy maybe surely you can knock that out of him .........
I'm not so sure. I had the pleasure to play with and coach some exciting aboriginal players, they would leave you in awe at what they could do on the park, run like the wind, tough as a buffalos hide, you wouldn't waste your time taking them high, you couldn't hurt their noggins. However away from the park and training things were different. One thing that was hard to get through to a great number was trying to change their mental mindset and some bad habits that would creep into their psyche. Just based on my own personal experiences and I'm not racist it's just the way it was in the 80s and 90s. May be different now but to my eye not much has changed.