Recruitment and Retention for 2025

Red T

SGI Jersey Flegg
Grubs said they were not going to release JAC but it looks like they will, especially as they probably would have beaten Manly if he had played. But he won’t get 550K at his new club. He will look for a long term deal. First we have to get rid of Rava and Blocker. I think Flanno will take him at the right price. He took Ben Barba from grubbies and he played fullback when Shonkies won their maiden (and hopefully only) premiership.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Yep and im mostly with Flanno.. we definitely need more FG ready players in our roster, carrying too many reserve grade quality that dont have that elite fitness to sustain the intensity needed for 80 minutes... they eventually cant keep up the linespeed required and we fall out of the arm-wrestle... obviously not helped by our kicking game either.. but every upgrade we can get over the off-season is huge.

o Fifita - tbf he really gave a shot earlier in the year, built him up.. made a big deal of him being a 1st grader and using the 1st grader carpark etc.. but he just didn't come on like he was meant to.. even by the end of the year he had made improvement.. but it's not what you would expect at his age.. that motor is just non-existent.. but you can understand that at training he would have some mind-blowing moments that would get you optimistic about his chances..

o Egan - was to be fair re-signed at a point where we were struggling to fill our Top30.... and the guy does all the hard work off the ball that fans dont care about but are necessary for team success.. however he also needs to be a running threat not just a defensive player.. and hes had a few good line-breaks this year but im still not sure he will be aggressive or fast enough in the top grade.. but hes also rly young.. I would hope he doesnt see much 1st grade other than later in the year, 'but' if were to cop 1-2 injuries to Sua/Luc.. and depending how RFM/Stewart is going.. its very feasible he is required in 2025.

o Tonga - im pretty sure we will see, its just a matter of 'when'... plus injury luck (either to him, or to his prop buddies) and also whether Flanno can actually land the 1-2 big props that we are after (especially after missing RCG).. but Tonga is ~19...and already passing Fifita even though hes 4yrs behind.. but im not sure about his defensive work under fatigue etc.. like I havent seen enough yet... I feel like a preseason and some early cup games it'll be really interesting to see if his rate of improvement stays moving up.. if it does.. and if Flanno wants bench impact like BMM provided.. I think Tonga will be our guy.

o Stewart - I have been confused about him.. because I havent really seen many moments from him that made me think he truly deserved his NSW Cup jumper.. I felt like the others middles were carrying him in that regard.. and he has 3 more years on his Top30 contract (unusually long contract).. but others I talk too are still optimistic that he could be a real gun.. very tall frame.. maybe hes not a middle but a 2nd rower competing with Egan.. I dont think he can match the couchmans as a Prop.. they just seem fitter and stronger... and I think Latu might go past hjim as a 13 (but its still early days).... I feel like Stewart might be a longer burn.. a lot of forwards are tbf.. its just we do have a lot of guys to fit in the 30.

o LKT - To be clear he is 19 and he shouldnt be expected to be playing NSW Cup or 1sts.. but despite his obvious strengths.. I'm still not 100% convinced that we have found our answer for a longterm 5/8.. I mean maybe.. but im not pinning the clubs hopes on it.... I loved him in SG Ball, but this is a different game, the line speed comes up so fast.. I dont think hes an organising 7.. hes too chilled.. I think hes a 6 or nothing.. I need to see how 2025 shakes out in NSW Cup.. if Hammoud is fit.. see which of them demands the starting 6 jersey.. and if they start to really warm into that level of responsibility.. Also note that Kade Reed might well be the 6 that trumps both of them.. but I imagine he will play 7 in SG/JF next year (replacing Ward). I'm hopeful we pick up 2 good quality 7's to replace Hunt, and 1 of those will be the Cup 7 to partner LKT or Hammoud.
A very Good coaching summary

Eric

Staff
Yep and im mostly with Flanno.. we definitely need more FG ready players in our roster, carrying too many reserve grade quality that dont have that elite fitness to sustain the intensity needed for 80 minutes... they eventually cant keep up the linespeed required and we fall out of the arm-wrestle... obviously not helped by our kicking game either.. but every upgrade we can get over the off-season is huge.

o Fifita - tbf he really gave a shot earlier in the year, built him up.. made a big deal of him being a 1st grader and using the 1st grader carpark etc.. but he just didn't come on like he was meant to.. even by the end of the year he had made improvement.. but it's not what you would expect at his age.. that motor is just non-existent.. but you can understand that at training he would have some mind-blowing moments that would get you optimistic about his chances..

o Egan - was to be fair re-signed at a point where we were struggling to fill our Top30.... and the guy does all the hard work off the ball that fans dont care about but are necessary for team success.. however he also needs to be a running threat not just a defensive player.. and hes had a few good line-breaks this year but im still not sure he will be aggressive or fast enough in the top grade.. but hes also rly young.. I would hope he doesnt see much 1st grade other than later in the year, 'but' if were to cop 1-2 injuries to Sua/Luc.. and depending how RFM/Stewart is going.. its very feasible he is required in 2025.

o Tonga - im pretty sure we will see, its just a matter of 'when'... plus injury luck (either to him, or to his prop buddies) and also whether Flanno can actually land the 1-2 big props that we are after (especially after missing RCG).. but Tonga is ~19...and already passing Fifita even though hes 4yrs behind.. but im not sure about his defensive work under fatigue etc.. like I havent seen enough yet... I feel like a preseason and some early cup games it'll be really interesting to see if his rate of improvement stays moving up.. if it does.. and if Flanno wants bench impact like BMM provided.. I think Tonga will be our guy.

o Stewart - I have been confused about him.. because I havent really seen many moments from him that made me think he truly deserved his NSW Cup jumper.. I felt like the others middles were carrying him in that regard.. and he has 3 more years on his Top30 contract (unusually long contract).. but others I talk too are still optimistic that he could be a real gun.. very tall frame.. maybe hes not a middle but a 2nd rower competing with Egan.. I dont think he can match the couchmans as a Prop.. they just seem fitter and stronger... and I think Latu might go past hjim as a 13 (but its still early days).... I feel like Stewart might be a longer burn.. a lot of forwards are tbf.. its just we do have a lot of guys to fit in the 30.

o LKT - To be clear he is 19 and he shouldnt be expected to be playing NSW Cup or 1sts.. but despite his obvious strengths.. I'm still not 100% convinced that we have found our answer for a longterm 5/8.. I mean maybe.. but im not pinning the clubs hopes on it.... I loved him in SG Ball, but this is a different game, the line speed comes up so fast.. I dont think hes an organising 7.. hes too chilled.. I think hes a 6 or nothing.. I need to see how 2025 shakes out in NSW Cup.. if Hammoud is fit.. see which of them demands the starting 6 jersey.. and if they start to really warm into that level of responsibility.. Also note that Kade Reed might well be the 6 that trumps both of them.. but I imagine he will play 7 in SG/JF next year (replacing Ward). I'm hopeful we pick up 2 good quality 7's to replace Hunt, and 1 of those will be the Cup 7 to partner LKT or Hammoud.
I was thinking maybe Egan has to abandon life as a backrower and look to become like an upgraded Eisenhuth. His defence is JDB-like and does a lot of it. As a backrower, I don't see his path into first grade for a few years at least. But as you said, he's still very young. Way too early to write him off as a backrower.

To that end, I thought the plan was always for Stewart to be a backrower. I think he has a lot of promise as a backrower. Needs to put a few more kgs on but that will be easy for someone with his frame.

I agree about LKT. A 5/8 or nothing. He reminds me a bit of Josh Schuster. He'll probably need to watch his diet to ensure he doesn't get too big because, I don't rate him as a forward.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
I was thinking maybe Egan has to abandon life as a backrower and look to become like an upgraded Eisenhuth. His defence is JDB-like and does a lot of it. As a backrower, I don't see his path into first grade for a few years at least. But as you said, he's still very young. Way too early to write him off as a backrower.

To that end, I thought the plan was always for Stewart to be a backrower. I think he has a lot of promise as a backrower. Needs to put a few more kgs on but that will be easy for someone with his frame.

I agree about LKT. A 5/8 or nothing. He reminds me a bit of Josh Schuster. He'll probably need to watch his diet to ensure he doesn't get too big because, I don't rate him as a forward.
Stay off the piss will help him

TheRev

SGI Jersey Flegg
Glad we are looking around.. Peter Parr has been mentioned I saw on twitter, but they thought he was applying for the CEO role.. but hes perhaps more qualified for the GM of Footy role (Harans gig), but he already has that job.. so we shall see.. really not something we can have an opinion on, just curious.. and hope we start to get some recruits both on and off the field soon =)

AyiosYiorgos

SGI Jersey Flegg
Glad we are looking around.. Peter Parr has been mentioned I saw on twitter, but they thought he was applying for the CEO role.. but hes perhaps more qualified for the GM of Footy role (Harans gig), but he already has that job.. so we shall see.. really not something we can have an opinion on, just curious.. and hope we start to get some recruits both on and off the field soon =)
Wonder who was responsible for the Ponga club statement about not wanting to play in the Pacific tournament?

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup

NRL OFF-CONTRACT CLASS BY POSITION 2025

FULLBACK

Corey Allan, Tom Chester, Kade Dykes, Clayton Faulalo, Clinton Gutherson, Albert Hopoate, William Kennedy, Daine Laurie, Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad, Ryan Papenhuyzen, Will Pryce, Sean Russell, James Tedesco, Taine Tuaupiki, Reece Walsh, Blake Wilson

Papenhuyzen might be worth signing if possible. Walsh will have a new deal within the next week. Albert Hopoate too but remains to be seen if he's better than Sloan.

WING

Josh Addo-Carr, Selwyn Cobbo, Robert Derby, Haze Dunster, Jojo Fifita, Sione Finau, Tony Francis, Robert Jennings, Alex Johnston, Edward Kosi, Israel Leota, Ken Maumalo, Marcelo Montoya, Ronaldo Mulitalo, Tyrone Munro, Xavier Savage, Charlie Staines, Sam Stonestreet, Christian Tuipulotu, Semi Valemei, Dallin Watene-Zelezniak

Josh Addo-Carr, Selwyn Cobbo, Haze Dunster, Jojo Fifita, Tyrone Munro, Xavier Savage all worth looking at.

CENTRE

Grant Anderson, Braidon Burns, Josh Feledy, Asu Kepaoa, Zac Laybutt, Ali Leiataua, Haizyn Mellars, Fletcher Myers, Brent Naden, Adam Pompey, Jordan Samrani, Aaron Schoupp, Harley Smith-Shields, Kotoni Staggs, Tommy Talau, Robert Toia, Viliami Vailea, Bronson Xerri

Only Staggs worth looking at.

FIVE-EIGHTH

Adam Doueihi, Kieran Foran, Te Maire Martin, Jaeman Salmon, Josh Schuster, Cody Walker

If LKT doesn't kick on next year, Adam Doueihi and Josh Schuster worth looking at.

HALFBACK

Jake Arthur, Daniel Atkinson, Tanah Boyd, Daly Cherry-Evans, Jake Clifford, Tom Duffy, Kyle Flanagan, Jackson Hastings, Bailey Hayward, Ben Hunt, Drew Hutchison, Lachlan Ilias, Sean O’Sullivan, Jonah Pezet, Adam Reynolds, Brad Schneider, Toby Sexton, Blake Taaffe, Chad Townsend, Braydon Trindall, Sam Walker

I'm not in favour of offering Trindall big money after only one good year and Sam Walker is overrated so I'd put our hopes in a junior like Reed.

PROP

Bunty Afoa, Tom Ale, Paul Bryan, Toby Couchman, Iszac Fa’asuamaleaui, Viliami Fifita, Wiremu Greig, Emre Guler, Tuku Hau Tapuha, Thomas Hazelton, Jack Hetherington, Jaiyden Hunt, Corey Jensen, Tui Kamikamica, Oregon Kaufusi, Kitione Kautoga, Josh Kerr, Josh King, Ben Liyou, Shaquai Mitchell, Davvy Moale, Michael Molo, Mark Nicholls, Josiah Pahulu, Keenan Palasia, Josh Papalii, Alex Seyfarth, Toafofoa Sipley, Sebastian Su’a, Daniel Suluka-Fifita, Ryan Sutton, Leo Thompson, Sam Tuivaiti, Lazarus Vaalepu, Xavier Willison

Iszac Fa’asuamaleaui, Keenan Palasia and Xavier Willison

HOOKER

Jayden Brailey, Gordon Chan Kum Tong, Bronson Garlick, Harrison Graham, Brendan Hands, Siliva Havili, Riley Jones, Danny Levi, Soni Luke, Joey Lussick, Cameron McInnes, Tyler Moriarty, Blake Mozer, Cory Paix, Reece Robson, Brandon Smith, Tyson Smoothy, Luke Sommerton, Tom Starling, Jake Turpin

Don't need one. Liddle and Cook is a good combo for the next 2 years.

SECOND ROW

Fletcher Baker, Kenneath Bromwich, Ethan Bullemor, Egan Butcher, Bryce Cartwright, Ben Condon, Ryan Couchman, Matt Doorey, Dylan Egan, Raymond Faitala-Mariner, Ryan Foran, Jackson Ford, Mavrik Geyer, Jack Gosiewski, Jacob Halangahu, Harrison Hassett, Jacob Host, Felise Kaufusi, Connelly Lemuelu, Trent Loiero, Ben Lovett, Dylan Lucas, Toni Mataele, Dean Matterson, Luca Moretti, Briton Nikora, Kai Pearce-Paul, D’Jazirhae Pua’Avase, Preston Riki, Dan Russell, Simi Sasagi, Kelma Tuilagi, Brandon Tumeth, Teig Wilton

Don't need any.

LOCK

Josh Curran, Jack de Belin, Adam Elliott, Chris Faagutu, Tohu Harris, Kobe Hetherington, Aitasi James, Kurt Mann, Justin Matamua, Kurtis Morrin, Joe Ofahengaue, Fonua Pole, Riley Price, Hohepa Puru, Dylan Walker

Need to re-sign the Couchman's and that's enough.

Last edited:

Eric

Staff

NRL OFF-CONTRACT CLASS BY POSITION 2025

FULLBACK

Corey Allan, Tom Chester, Kade Dykes, Clayton Faulalo, Clinton Gutherson, Albert Hopoate, William Kennedy, Daine Laurie, Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad, Ryan Papenhuyzen, Will Pryce, Sean Russell, James Tedesco, Taine Tuaupiki, Reece Walsh, Blake Wilson

Papenhuyzen might be worth signing if possible. Walsh will have a new deal within the next week. Albert Hopoate too but remains to be seen if he's better than Sloan.

WING

Josh Addo-Carr, Selwyn Cobbo, Robert Derby, Haze Dunster, Jojo Fifita, Sione Finau, Tony Francis, Robert Jennings, Alex Johnston, Edward Kosi, Israel Leota, Ken Maumalo, Marcelo Montoya, Ronaldo Mulitalo, Tyrone Munro, Xavier Savage, Charlie Staines, Sam Stonestreet, Christian Tuipulotu, Semi Valemei, Dallin Watene-Zelezniak

Josh Addo-Carr, Selwyn Cobbo, Haze Dunster, Jojo Fifita, Tyrone Munro, Xavier Savage all worth looking at.

CENTRE

Grant Anderson, Braidon Burns, Josh Feledy, Asu Kepaoa, Zac Laybutt, Ali Leiataua, Haizyn Mellars, Fletcher Myers, Brent Naden, Adam Pompey, Jordan Samrani, Aaron Schoupp, Harley Smith-Shields, Kotoni Staggs, Tommy Talau, Robert Toia, Viliami Vailea, Bronson Xerri

Only Staggs worth looking at.

FIVE-EIGHTH

Adam Doueihi, Kieran Foran, Te Maire Martin, Jaeman Salmon, Josh Schuster, Cody Walker

If LKT doesn't kick on next year, Adam Doueihi and Josh Schuster worth looking at.

HALFBACK

Jake Arthur, Daniel Atkinson, Tanah Boyd, Daly Cherry-Evans, Jake Clifford, Tom Duffy, Kyle Flanagan, Jackson Hastings, Bailey Hayward, Ben Hunt, Drew Hutchison, Lachlan Ilias, Sean O’Sullivan, Jonah Pezet, Adam Reynolds, Brad Schneider, Toby Sexton, Blake Taaffe, Chad Townsend, Braydon Trindall, Sam Walker

I'm not in favour of offering Trindall big money after only one good year and Sam Walker is overrated so I'd put our hopes in a junior like Reed.

PROP

Bunty Afoa, Tom Ale, Paul Bryan, Toby Couchman, Iszac Fa’asuamaleaui, Viliami Fifita, Wiremu Greig, Emre Guler, Tuku Hau Tapuha, Thomas Hazelton, Jack Hetherington, Jaiyden Hunt, Corey Jensen, Tui Kamikamica, Oregon Kaufusi, Kitione Kautoga, Josh Kerr, Josh King, Ben Liyou, Shaquai Mitchell, Davvy Moale, Michael Molo, Mark Nicholls, Josiah Pahulu, Keenan Palasia, Josh Papalii, Alex Seyfarth, Toafofoa Sipley, Sebastian Su’a, Daniel Suluka-Fifita, Ryan Sutton, Leo Thompson, Sam Tuivaiti, Lazarus Vaalepu, Xavier Willison

Iszac Fa’asuamaleaui, Keenan Palasia and Xavier Willison

HOOKER

Jayden Brailey, Gordon Chan Kum Tong, Bronson Garlick, Harrison Graham, Brendan Hands, Siliva Havili, Riley Jones, Danny Levi, Soni Luke, Joey Lussick, Cameron McInnes, Tyler Moriarty, Blake Mozer, Cory Paix, Reece Robson, Brandon Smith, Tyson Smoothy, Luke Sommerton, Tom Starling, Jake Turpin

Don't need one. Liddle and Cook is a good combo for the next 2 years.

SECOND ROW

Fletcher Baker, Kenneath Bromwich, Ethan Bullemor, Egan Butcher, Bryce Cartwright, Ben Condon, Ryan Couchman, Matt Doorey, Dylan Egan, Raymond Faitala-Mariner, Ryan Foran, Jackson Ford, Mavrik Geyer, Jack Gosiewski, Jacob Halangahu, Harrison Hassett, Jacob Host, Felise Kaufusi, Connelly Lemuelu, Trent Loiero, Ben Lovett, Dylan Lucas, Toni Mataele, Dean Matterson, Luca Moretti, Briton Nikora, Kai Pearce-Paul, D’Jazirhae Pua’Avase, Preston Riki, Dan Russell, Simi Sasagi, Kelma Tuilagi, Brandon Tumeth, Teig Wilton

Don't need any.

LOCK

Josh Curran, Jack de Belin, Adam Elliott, Chris Faagutu, Tohu Harris, Kobe Hetherington, Aitasi James, Kurt Mann, Justin Matamua, Kurtis Morrin, Joe Ofahengaue, Fonua Pole, Riley Price, Hohepa Puru, Dylan Walker

Need to re-sign the Couchman's and that's enough.
Priorities are Jojo Fifita to finally get a few fast outside backs I keep banging on about and Xavier Willison to get that big prop jodragon40 jodragon40 keeps banging on about.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
Saifiti confirmed to have signed with the Dolphins. So what is going in with RCG? Did he backflip on the Dragons only to have another club backflip on him?

TheRev

SGI Jersey Flegg
Saifiti confirmed to have signed with the Dolphins. So what is going in with RCG? Did he backflip on the Dragons only to have another club backflip on him?
Definitely seems like whatever the sure thing was.. its fallen through.. unless hes the JFH replacement for the Panthers, in which case its a next week announcement..

If it has fallen through, im very curious what relationship is left between Flanno and RCG or Flanno and his manager.. sounds like they may have d**ked us.. though the grapevine indicated that there was still a very very slim chance it might still happen... its not 0%.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
Definitely seems like whatever the sure thing was.. its fallen through.. unless hes the JFH replacement for the Panthers, in which case its a next week announcement..

If it has fallen through, im very curious what relationship is left between Flanno and RCG or Flanno and his manager.. sounds like they may have d**ked us.. though the grapevine indicated that there was still a very very slim chance it might still happen... its not 0%.
I think his split from Penrith was an unhappy affair for both parties. Some of the Penrith players couldn't stand him is the unconfirmed story I heard.

Plus they've been talking up Lindsay Smith to take over from JFH.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup

I'd love for him to sign for a significant amount less than he was first offered.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
I have a dream. Shortly after November 1, it's going to be announced Lawrie and Rava have found themselves homes in the ESL. Willerson, JAC, Jojo Fifita are going to announce immediate transfers to the Dragons and RCG also signed.