Recruitment and Retention for 2025

Ryan

SGI Jersey Flegg
Lazy maybe surely you can knock that out of him .........
You would think so but how many Rl players have you known who proved it couldn't be knocked of him?
I knew 2 blokes. 1 was an incredibly talented backrower. 1 wasn't a very talented backrower, at least in comparison but was absolutely determined and trained non-stop. Even though the former was bigger, faster, tougher, more skillful, the latter became an Origin and test star. The former played lower grades for Canterbury. Was named on the extended reserves a few times when he was 19 or 20 but that was it.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
Flanno tried to swap Ravalawa with JAC. I guess with Dragons picking up part of his salary. Surprisingly (sarcasm) the Dogs said, "no". If only his last game, which a lot of people probably watched due to the result affecting several teams, wasn't his worst ever.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
You would think so but how many Rl players have you known who proved it couldn't be knocked of him?
I knew 2 blokes. 1 was an incredibly talented backrower. 1 wasn't a very talented backrower, at least in comparison but was absolutely determined and trained non-stop. Even though the former was bigger, faster, tougher, more skillful, the latter became an Origin and test star. The former played lower grades for Canterbury. Was named on the extended reserves a few times when he was 19 or 20 but that was it.
Unfortunately a few

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
Sloan is one of our few players capable of creating something from nothing. And he does not get rag dolled any more. Not been watching?
You certainly have your favourites. No criticism of Kyle Flanangan is allowed. Ben Hunt is the worst thing since the black plague. Sloan can do no wrong.

I know stats can be misleading but only misleading, not wrong. The stats for Kyle and Sloan for this year were just terrible. Sloan is super-talented but is just content to hide as much as possible. Defence has improved a lot but still has more than the occasional shocker in him. Remember the Broncos game? Have you ever seen a worse defensive game by one player? From last year in particular Rava and Feagai (both) had a few absolute shockers but nothing compared to Sloan's game against the Broncos this year.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
You certainly have your favourites. No criticism of Kyle Flanangan is allowed. Ben Hunt is the worst thing since the black plague. Sloan can do no wrong.
We all have our favorites. Kyle is open to criticism as is Tyrell, just that I see improvement in both of them. Illusion and I both think Hunt is the worst thing since the plague. You and others have a hate on Sloan and Lawrie, each to his own mate.

The Broncos match. That the one where Eisenhuth and other middles were lazy leaving Sloan to do too much to cover up? Take a gander at other f/bs playing behind poor defensive middles. Like Sloan does constantly, do they cop flack from their fans, perhaps they are cut some slack.

Last edited:

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
We all have our favorites. Kyle is open to criticism as is Tyrell, just that I see improvement in both of them. Illusion and I both think Hunt is the worst thing since the plague. You and others have a hate on Sloan and Lawrie, each to his own mate.

The Broncos match. That the one where Eisenhuth and other middles were lazy leaving Sloan to do too much to cover up? Take a gander at other f/bs playing behind poor defensive middles. Like Sloan does constantly, do they cop flack from their fans, perhaps they are cut some slack.
I don't hate any Dragons players, not even Hunt. But except for JDB, Su'A and maybe Suli, none of them earned their paycheck.

Liddle and Lomax as well.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Well the club had a win today and thank the lord for that. For those who spruike our up coming 5/8 Lykah King- Togia last October he was actually charged by QPOL in Toowoomba for alcohol related offences at a pub. Well yesterday those charges were officially dropped including an existing Arrest Warrant. But once again it calls into question the club culture. The kid has talent and can make it in 1sts but as I mentioned in another post does the kid have the necessary mental toughness to overcome his demons? Time will tell

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup

I have no problem with you giving it to Hunt. I tend to agree with you. Just saying he's not the only one. You know how I feel about Kyle Flanagan as a Dragons player. I'm sure he's a top bloke but should be a carpenter or house painter.

As for being against Blocka, news to me. But his time has definitely come. No shame in that. Had a good career and made good money.

Edward

SGI Jersey Flegg

Tyrell improved this year. Had a few bad games, like the Broncos game. He needs to improve more. I think I read somewhere on here Flanno has told him he has next year to prove himself otherwise he won't be around the club in 2026.

Just a Mug Fan

SGI Jersey Flegg
Exactly this ......... With him they have achieved records all for the wrong reasons ......... Even with two Rookies in the halves it cant get any worse ....... Just my opinion ..........

It might be that Flanno wants Reed and LKT to be the long-term halves. But Reed needs a year in NSW Cup. If he signs another halfback, that halfback will want 2 or 3 years.

Just a theory.

Flanno wants FG ready players only.
I doubt LKT plays much FG.
He talked up Fifita and Egan and others in the pre-season and they weren't sighted.
He has already started talking up Tonga and Stewart and I'll guess they see little FG too.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
He talked up Fifita and Egan and others in the pre-season and they weren't sighted.
He has already started talking up Tonga and Stewart and I'll guess they see little FG too.
So next year will probably be worse than this year.

It's what Griffin used to do. Stick with underperforming journeymen no matter how bad they played.

But it's worse now because Flanno has options. Like Egan, Couchmans, Stewart and LKT. Even though his journeymen are playing better than Griffin's were.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
The spine of Liddle, Hunt, Flanagan and Sloan isn't going to get the job done. As simple as that. Sneak into the top 8 is the best possible result but even that's unlikely.

Last edited:

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
How about Hunt for JAC and Toby Sexton…
The Young Pope GIF

TheRev

SGI Jersey Flegg
Yep and im mostly with Flanno.. we definitely need more FG ready players in our roster, carrying too many reserve grade quality that dont have that elite fitness to sustain the intensity needed for 80 minutes... they eventually cant keep up the linespeed required and we fall out of the arm-wrestle... obviously not helped by our kicking game either.. but every upgrade we can get over the off-season is huge.

o Fifita - tbf he really gave a shot earlier in the year, built him up.. made a big deal of him being a 1st grader and using the 1st grader carpark etc.. but he just didn't come on like he was meant to.. even by the end of the year he had made improvement.. but it's not what you would expect at his age.. that motor is just non-existent.. but you can understand that at training he would have some mind-blowing moments that would get you optimistic about his chances..

o Egan - was to be fair re-signed at a point where we were struggling to fill our Top30.... and the guy does all the hard work off the ball that fans dont care about but are necessary for team success.. however he also needs to be a running threat not just a defensive player.. and hes had a few good line-breaks this year but im still not sure he will be aggressive or fast enough in the top grade.. but hes also rly young.. I would hope he doesnt see much 1st grade other than later in the year, 'but' if were to cop 1-2 injuries to Sua/Luc.. and depending how RFM/Stewart is going.. its very feasible he is required in 2025.

o Tonga - im pretty sure we will see, its just a matter of 'when'... plus injury luck (either to him, or to his prop buddies) and also whether Flanno can actually land the 1-2 big props that we are after (especially after missing RCG).. but Tonga is ~19...and already passing Fifita even though hes 4yrs behind.. but im not sure about his defensive work under fatigue etc.. like I havent seen enough yet... I feel like a preseason and some early cup games it'll be really interesting to see if his rate of improvement stays moving up.. if it does.. and if Flanno wants bench impact like BMM provided.. I think Tonga will be our guy.

o Stewart - I have been confused about him.. because I havent really seen many moments from him that made me think he truly deserved his NSW Cup jumper.. I felt like the others middles were carrying him in that regard.. and he has 3 more years on his Top30 contract (unusually long contract).. but others I talk too are still optimistic that he could be a real gun.. very tall frame.. maybe hes not a middle but a 2nd rower competing with Egan.. I dont think he can match the couchmans as a Prop.. they just seem fitter and stronger... and I think Latu might go past hjim as a 13 (but its still early days).... I feel like Stewart might be a longer burn.. a lot of forwards are tbf.. its just we do have a lot of guys to fit in the 30.

o LKT - To be clear he is 19 and he shouldnt be expected to be playing NSW Cup or 1sts.. but despite his obvious strengths.. I'm still not 100% convinced that we have found our answer for a longterm 5/8.. I mean maybe.. but im not pinning the clubs hopes on it.... I loved him in SG Ball, but this is a different game, the line speed comes up so fast.. I dont think hes an organising 7.. hes too chilled.. I think hes a 6 or nothing.. I need to see how 2025 shakes out in NSW Cup.. if Hammoud is fit.. see which of them demands the starting 6 jersey.. and if they start to really warm into that level of responsibility.. Also note that Kade Reed might well be the 6 that trumps both of them.. but I imagine he will play 7 in SG/JF next year (replacing Ward). I'm hopeful we pick up 2 good quality 7's to replace Hunt, and 1 of those will be the Cup 7 to partner LKT or Hammoud.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
Yep and im mostly with Flanno.. we definitely need more FG ready players in our roster, carrying too many reserve grade quality that dont have that elite fitness to sustain the intensity needed for 80 minutes... they eventually cant keep up the linespeed required and we fall out of the arm-wrestle... obviously not helped by our kicking game either.. but every upgrade we can get over the off-season is huge.

o Fifita - tbf he really gave a shot earlier in the year, built him up.. made a big deal of him being a 1st grader and using the 1st grader carpark etc.. but he just didn't come on like he was meant to.. even by the end of the year he had made improvement.. but it's not what you would expect at his age.. that motor is just non-existent.. but you can understand that at training he would have some mind-blowing moments that would get you optimistic about his chances..

o Egan - was to be fair re-signed at a point where we were struggling to fill our Top30.... and the guy does all the hard work off the ball that fans dont care about but are necessary for team success.. however he also needs to be a running threat not just a defensive player.. and hes had a few good line-breaks this year but im still not sure he will be aggressive or fast enough in the top grade.. but hes also rly young.. I would hope he doesnt see much 1st grade other than later in the year, 'but' if were to cop 1-2 injuries to Sua/Luc.. and depending how RFM/Stewart is going.. its very feasible he is required in 2025.

o Tonga - im pretty sure we will see, its just a matter of 'when'... plus injury luck (either to him, or to his prop buddies) and also whether Flanno can actually land the 1-2 big props that we are after (especially after missing RCG).. but Tonga is ~19...and already passing Fifita even though hes 4yrs behind.. but im not sure about his defensive work under fatigue etc.. like I havent seen enough yet... I feel like a preseason and some early cup games it'll be really interesting to see if his rate of improvement stays moving up.. if it does.. and if Flanno wants bench impact like BMM provided.. I think Tonga will be our guy.

o Stewart - I have been confused about him.. because I havent really seen many moments from him that made me think he truly deserved his NSW Cup jumper.. I felt like the others middles were carrying him in that regard.. and he has 3 more years on his Top30 contract (unusually long contract).. but others I talk too are still optimistic that he could be a real gun.. very tall frame.. maybe hes not a middle but a 2nd rower competing with Egan.. I dont think he can match the couchmans as a Prop.. they just seem fitter and stronger... and I think Latu might go past hjim as a 13 (but its still early days).... I feel like Stewart might be a longer burn.. a lot of forwards are tbf.. its just we do have a lot of guys to fit in the 30.

o LKT - To be clear he is 19 and he shouldnt be expected to be playing NSW Cup or 1sts.. but despite his obvious strengths.. I'm still not 100% convinced that we have found our answer for a longterm 5/8.. I mean maybe.. but im not pinning the clubs hopes on it.... I loved him in SG Ball, but this is a different game, the line speed comes up so fast.. I dont think hes an organising 7.. hes too chilled.. I think hes a 6 or nothing.. I need to see how 2025 shakes out in NSW Cup.. if Hammoud is fit.. see which of them demands the starting 6 jersey.. and if they start to really warm into that level of responsibility.. Also note that Kade Reed might well be the 6 that trumps both of them.. but I imagine he will play 7 in SG/JF next year (replacing Ward). I'm hopeful we pick up 2 good quality 7's to replace Hunt, and 1 of those will be the Cup 7 to partner LKT or Hammoud.
Agree complety. I'm just hoping LKT is ready to step up because the spine of Liddle, Hunt, Flanno and Sloan isn't going to cut it.

LKT is the only young player remotely capable of making one of those positions his own and that is 5/8.

I wasn't that confident about him until the Canberra last round. In the first half, ball in both hands, running to the line and passing. We missed it all year.

In the second half, Canberra directed a lot of runners at it. He handled it with ease while the more experienced other side was a turnstyle.