Round 10: Wests Tigers vs St George Illawarra Dragons

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
I've got an idea. Not great but nothing to lose now so lets put it on the bus and see if it gets off at ANZ stadium in September!
  • Amone to fullback. He'll have no choice but to run!
  • Lomax to 5/8. Why not? He has excellent ball skills.
  • Sloan to NSW Cup to work on his game. He may have all the talent in the world but after yesterday, he needs to be sent back to work on his game.

Eric

Staff
I've got an idea. Not great but nothing to lose now so lets put it on the bus and see if it gets off at ANZ stadium in September!
  • Sloan to NSW Cup to work on his game. He may have all the talent in the world but after yesterday, he needs to be sent back to work on his game.
I'm sold!

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
You are then taking both out of their comfort zone and expecting them to perform in unfamiliar positions. Our attack and structure is already disjointed. Dont need any more.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Lomax is big enough to play lock second row .......
So if he aint playing centre or fullback he comes off the bench to replace Bird. I'd have it the other way round, Bird on for him. Zac w'd probably make a handy edge forward if moved to the pack. But hey I for one wont call for that.

Illusion

SGI Jersey Flegg
So if he aint playing centre or fullback he comes off the bench to replace Bird. I'd have it the other way round, Bird on for him. Zac w'd probably make a handy edge forward if moved to the pack. But hey I for one wont call for that.
Either way Zac needs to be in the team , somewhere , centre , fullback , lock ..... what I'm rying to get across is if Sloan needs more time to fit in , then maybe Lomax starts at fullback then , we ease Sloan in to fullback , then move Zac into the forwards and give one of the forwards a break ...... If that all makes sense and this is the time to do it , we ain't playing finals ......

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
According to the stat's our most potent attacking combo last season was Lomax /Rav. It is my personal opinion that because Lomax is one of the head honchos in the anti Griffin brigade the coach like most coaches would have done is to move him to a position that he was not accustomed to playing. As an old coach I can safety say that yes you can move players around to benefit a team such as winger/fullback, or in the engine room. What you rarely can get away with is in my opinion the coach get square decision on Lomax. Lomax is a right foot stepper and he leads in defence with his strong shoulder also being his right. Now imagine being asked to write left handed if all our lives we have used our right. This move was always doomed to failure and that is exactly what we are seeing in our on field performances.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
I would try Lomax at fullback , Sloan ( until he develops a bit more , needs to be around top grade ) on the wing for a few games , nothing to lose there .......
A big no from me Sloan is not a return the ball hard runner. He is a fullback or nothing else in my view. Sloan is not performing at his best under this coach. I said in another post that I would be extremely interested in how he goes under another coach. He is lacking confidence but has shown enough ability to take the final step in cementing a permanent starting position but time is running out for him under this coach

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
He's big enough but if anyone is going to be moved into the forwards, surely it would be Suli or Rava.

Ryan

SGI Jersey Flegg
Sloan is worrying me. I think everyone remembers Duff. Used to do some incredible things in attack but used to go missing much more often. That is exactly Sloan right now.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
Sloan is worrying me. I think everyone remembers Duff. Used to do some incredible things in attack but used to go missing much more often. That is exactly Sloan right now.
There are more similarities than that.
  • Struggles under the high ball.
  • Positions himself to not be able to make one on one tackles after linebreaks.
  • Looks scared and tries to avoid running into the defence line. Slowly jogs and immediately surrenders when it can't be avoided.

Illusion

SGI Jersey Flegg
There are more similarities than that.
  • Struggles under the high ball.
  • Positions himself to not be able to make one on one tackles after linebreaks.
  • Looks scared and tries to avoid running into the defence line. Slowly jogs and immediately surrenders when it can't be avoided.
"Slowly jogs and immediately surrenders when it can't be avoided" This was the same with Dufty , doing that he get pushed back 10 m or over the side line ...... Run at them hard , let them have to make a tackle , not lift you and push you back ........

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
"Slowly jogs and immediately surrenders when it can't be avoided" This was the same with Dufty , doing that he get pushed back 10 m or over the side line ...... Run at them hard , let them have to make a tackle , not lift you and push you back ........
Exactly! Run and the chance of getting smashed is far less!

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
Exactly! Run and the chance of getting smashed is far less!
100%. It's a big problem. I don't think a new coach will put up with it. He'll get one warning not to do that.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Slowly jogs and immediately surrenders
Dont tell me you too are crucifying the kid. He showed against the Roosters he deserves to be on the big stage. Some even saying he was best on the paddock. All emerging footy players have little flaws they need to work on, Sloan is working on them. So guys cut him some slack.

Illusion

SGI Jersey Flegg
Dont tell me you too are crucifying the kid. He showed against the Roosters he deserves to be on the big stage. Some even saying he was best on the paddock. All emerging footy players have little flaws they need to work on, Sloan is working on them. So guys cut him some slack.
No way I think he will turn out to be a gem , was only about , surrendering to a tackle , which with more game time he will work that out ...... Needs to go Into the tackle hard , make the opposition have to brace themselves and make the tackle ......

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
I'm not crucifying him. I really hope he comes good but the fact is that at this early stage, he is very similar to Dufty who did some extraordinary things in attack but was overall not first grade standard.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
No way I think he will turn out to be a gem , was only about , surrendering to a tackle , which with more game time he will work that out ...... Needs to go Into the tackle hard , make the opposition have to brace themselves and make the tackle ......
I see your point, I did see him surrender to a tackle.. once only. Fast learner as he is now doing the opposite. For a man with a such a small build he is fairly strong, wirey I suppose your call him.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
I see your point, I did see him surrender to a tackle.. once only. Fast learner as he is now doing the opposite. For a man with a such a small build he is fairly strong, wirey I suppose your call him.
You are too easy on him. He's 20 and a professional. He has a huge amount of talent and few things he has to work on urgently if he isn't to be dropped.