Round 13: St George Illawarra Dragons vs Dolphins

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Your favourites, Amone and Sloan didn't have good games. Sorry to say.
Only saw 40 mins, but they both held their own. Amone created the first try and looked busy with the ball. Sloan was actually given the ball when he went looking for it and and he too looked busy. The lack of structure comes from a quality play maker, game manager which we lack. Gotta chuckle when I hear scribes saying ''without Hunt we are rudderless''. Got news for you fellars with Hunt we are rudderless too.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
Only saw 40 mins, but they both held their own. Amone created the first try and looked busy with the ball. Sloan was actually given the ball when he went looking for it and and he too looked busy. The lack of structure comes from a quality play maker, game manager which we lack. Gotta chuckle when I hear scribes saying ''without Hunt we are rudderless''. Got news for you fellars with Hunt we are rudderless too.
Agree with that. Though Sullivan or Amone need to demand the ball on the last tackle.

Amone was better in the second half. Must have been fired up after being embarrassed by Milford in the first half. But he still took the wrong options. That challenge we incredibly go away with summed it up for me. Hunt had defenders right in front of him. Like 50cm away and Amone, 2m away still passed to him, behind him, up around his shoulder and hard. After almost 2 years in first grade, that suggests to me, he isn't cut out to be a 5/8. maybe should try centre or fullback.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
If the coach told BMM, "you are going to be on for 40~50min. 20~25min each side of halftime. Rip TF in!",
Spot on. Sorry to say but Carr is as blind as Griffin in giving this log full minutes, (ditto Bird) or have they both been under orders, makes sense given that Carr surely can see he is our forward weak link by hiding deep in our back line and clogging our attack. He rarely hits 100 RM, lucky to make 70m, unlike our other edgie S'ua. Piss him off and give Couchman a crack in his place.

Last edited:

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Hunt had defenders right in front of him.
He tries his arse off effort wise, all part of his learning to be a ball player. Looked to me he tried to put Hunt into a gap, execution a touch off. Like I say, our coaches expect too much from this bloke by trying to turn him from a dangerous runner into a play maker. HE IS NOT A NATURAL ORGANISER. Going back to Ressies will be a retrograde step.

Last edited:

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
He tries his arse off effort wise, all part of his learning to be a ball player. Looked to me he tried to put Hunt into a gap, execution a touch off. Like I say coaches expect too much from this bloke by trying to turn him from a dangerous runner into a play maker. HE IS NOT A NATURAL ORGANISER. Going back to Ressies will be a retrograde step.
Agree but after last night, and after almost 2 years, I doubt he's ever going to learn to be a ball player.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
JDB spoilt his copybook with that late low hit which had him binned. On report too. Without Jack we are dead in the water before we run onto the field.
BTW did they score while he was off as yet to see replay.

Illusion

SGI Jersey Flegg
Yep agree and have said it many times , Hunt is a good individual player , and stands out in an ordinary team , but as you say the guy has had a long time in the 7 and continues to be as you say " rudderless " Just on Sully not a great game last night , but we are judging him and the young guys on a few games ( Sully , Sloan ) , Amone a year or so ...... Hunt was payed and still is being payed big money to steer the team around , when was the last time you seen him pin the opposition in their own half in goal and get repeated sets once we get in front ? Good player but not a Reynolds , Cleary type of player ....... We need a new pack that make ground , and a 7 that can control a game ........ Throw Sloan , Sully , Amone in a top 6 team not a bottom 3 team and they wont struggle .......

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Yep agree and have said it many times , Hunt is a good individual player , and stands out in an ordinary team , but as you say the guy has had a long time in the 7 and continues to be as you say " rudderless " Just on Sully not a great game last night , but we are judging him and the young guys on a few games ( Sully , Sloan ) , Amone a year or so ...... Hunt was payed and still is being payed big money to steer the team around , when was the last time you seen him pin the opposition in their own half in goal and get repeated sets once we get in front ? Good player but not a Reynolds , Cleary type of player ....... We need a new pack that make ground , and a 7 that can control a game ........ Throw Sloan , Sully , Amone in a top 6 team not a bottom 3 team and they wont struggle .......
We are on the same page mate.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Hunt was payed and still is being payed big money to steer the team around , when was the last time you seen him pin the opposition in their own half in goal and get repeated sets once we get in front ?
.. and win us close games. In a good proportion of our 13 matches we were equal try scorers, one more well orchestrated four/six pointer by Hunt and we'd have come away with a win and now be sitting comfortably on the ladder.

Last edited:

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
.. and win us close games. In a good proportion of our 13 matches we were equal try scorers, one more well orchestrated four/six pointer by Hunt and we'd have come away with a win and now be sitting comfortably on the ladder.
Wish you were right. And might be right. But I think we can all agree that right now in this team, Amone and Sloan aren't cutting it.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Yet to watch the replay but hearing that Sloan looked good at first receiver. Words such as ''decisive, sharp, excellent service wide'' being bandied around. Carr give him a crack in the halves.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Liddle lifted his game, 79m but only 4 runs, most in the first half. One of which almost led to an early long range try with the three amigos also prominent. With go forward we actually look a good footy team...

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
We were in touch at half time, then within minutes after oranges due to our slow sliding defense and Feagai leaving his wing exposed we were out of it. Being scored against just before the break and just after is a criminal offense in footy.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
He's hardly another Cameron Smith but Liddle is by far the best hooker at the club right now. God knows why Griffin demoted and then dropped him.
...quicker than Smith but without his distribution skills. His acceleration catches markers napping.Needs to work on his ball in hand work, may take tips from Hunt who looks a good distributor.