Round 13: St George Illawarra Dragons vs Dolphins

Illusion

SGI Jersey Flegg
Our forwards dont get any roll on , we cant get out of our half , not just tonight , but most times ...... Notice we get tackled and end up on their backs , no fast play the balls ....... Seems oppositions dont have that problem , they play the ball fast ........ Anyway said all along that big spoon is getting closer .......

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
As jodragon40 jodragon40 keeps saying, need a big, hard running prop to get the team going forward. The reason they have been dominating field position is because every set they are making 60m to out 40m!
Honestly even in my coaching days back in the 90s there was a well known saying that forwards win games the backline decides by how much nothing has changed. We so desperately need 2 big bodied quality bookends to become competitive again. No new coach is going to be able to get anymore out of the current squad

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
I hate to bring it up again but Amone and Sloan are a problem. They were both better than last week. Amone getting embarrassed by Milford seemed to fire him up and he started running the ball! I think he ran it more than any game in the last 1.5 years. But keeps choosing the wrong options. That pass we challenged on and got away with, Amone to Hunt summed it up. Hard and behind him even though he was only 2m away!

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
Honestly even in my coaching days back in the 90s there was a well known saying that forwards win games the backline decides by how much nothing has changed. We so desperately need 2 big bodied quality bookends to become competitive again. No new coach is going to be able to get anymore out of the current squad
Agree but wish I didn't.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
I picked the Dragons because of my heart but watching the highlights just now we are going to be wooden spoon recipients for the 1st time as a joint venture. The defensive line was horrendous the intensity pretty poor and we just don't have the quality in our current 17.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Our forwards dont get any roll on , we cant get out of our half , not just tonight , but most times ...... Notice we get tackled and end up on their backs , no fast play the balls ....... Seems oppositions dont have that problem , they play the ball fast ........ Anyway said all along that big spoon is getting closer .......
Wrestling back in my day wasn't such a big issue. When we ran our attacking structures both non contact or soft contact at training we drummed into our forwards especially when tackled try to fall on your gut or at the very least side and roll forward use your non carrying arm to lift yourself up and forward and play the ball quickly. We use to video and time such training practices, play it back to those players that were being easily rolled over and practice practice practice until it became 2nd nature. It's obviously harder these days but not impossible. Our forwards just don't appear to have that particular skill set

Eric

Staff
This team is just such a let down. Need a massive roster overhaul. At least the coach hooked Bird. We all saw what he did for the Dolphins prop to score untouched but by the time he was hooked, I was only half watching the game. Did he do something similar? Once again, just hang an arm out and let a ball carrier run straight passed him?

I don't even blame Bird. He's being asked to play 80 in the forwards when he obviously isn't up for that. Ditto BMM. If the coach told BMM, "you are going to be on for 40~50min. 20~25min each side of halftime. Rip TF in!", I think he'd be ok. JDB also being asked to play 80min. He had a pretty bad game last night. Sin-bin was justified, he ran straight through their line and for 20m only to have the ball stolen and threw a wayward pass late in the game. But FFS, look at the work he does! He carries this pack and is being asked to do it on the middle for 80min!

Illusion

SGI Jersey Flegg
This team is just such a let down. Need a massive roster overhaul. At least the coach hooked Bird. We all saw what he did for the Dolphins prop to score untouched but by the time he was hooked, I was only half watching the game. Did he do something similar? Once again, just hang an arm out and let a ball carrier run straight passed him?

I don't even blame Bird. He's being asked to play 80 in the forwards when he obviously isn't up for that. Ditto BMM. If the coach told BMM, "you are going to be on for 40~50min. 20~25min each side of halftime. Rip TF in!", I think he'd be ok. JDB also being asked to play 80min. He had a pretty bad game last night. Sin-bin was justified, he ran straight through their line and for 20m only to have the ball stolen and threw a wayward pass late in the game. But FFS, look at the work he does! He carries this pack and is being asked to do it on the middle for 80min!
As for our forwards , not just last night , how many of them would be starters in other teams ........ ?

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup

Sloan was better last night. Ran the ball a few times. Not a lot compared to almost every other fullback but more usual. Looked dangerous when he did. But Amone........ Enough is enough. Needs to work on his game in the NSW Cup and Sullivan takes his place at 5/8.