Round 13: St George Illawarra Dragons vs Dolphins

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
Agree , my biggest concern with him , and it can be fixed , is to stop surrendering in tackles , and getting pushed back , needs to go hard into the tackle then to ground .......
I agree. He still needs to work a lot on his defence as well. But just walking up to the defence, surrendering and getting pushed back is infuriating!

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Agree , my biggest concern with him , and it can be fixed , is to stop surrendering in tackles , and getting pushed back , needs to go hard into the tackle then to ground .......
Agree is sending the wrong message to the opposition. To be honest I have seen him do both the meek surrender and the opposite, refusing to be put to ground. Has surprised me at his strength for such a slite bloke.

Last edited:

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
Agree is sending the wrong message to the opposition. To be honest I have seen him do both the meek surrender and the opposite, refusing to be put to ground. Has surprised me at his strength for such a slite bloke.
He is strong for his size. He's shown it when running the ball. Which is why it's so strange that he does it so rarely.

Anyway, I agree he needs a chance under a new coach. But I also agree, he's nearly on his last chance.

Eric

Staff
My personal opinion is that you 3 are too soft on him. It looked like he wasn't trying last week. A veteran, proven couch would have hooked him, IMO. I'd drop him for a week as a shot across the bow.

Then if he repeated that, I'd sink him at the Dragons. Making mistakes is one thing but not trying is unacceptable.

Illusion

SGI Jersey Flegg
My personal opinion is that you 3 are too soft on him. It looked like he wasn't trying last week. A veteran, proven couch would have hooked him, IMO. I'd drop him for a week as a shot across the bow.

Then if he repeated that, I'd sink him at the Dragons. Making mistakes is one thing but not trying is unacceptable.
Id rather persevere a little longer and put a bomb under him , than have Bird or Mybe take the position ....... If he does it again replace him at half time , Remember the young 7 from South was replaced at half time by the coach ....... Must have spoke to him and the next week was out there playing and has ever since ....... I know where your coming from , but these young players these days are over sensitive , throwing him in lower grade at this stage aint going to do him any good ...... Lets just go a bit longer and see if he improves , if not then change things .......

Eric

Staff
Id rather persevere a little longer and put a bomb under him , than have Bird or Mybe take the position ....... If he does it again replace him at half time , Remember the young 7 from South was replaced at half time by the coach ....... Must have spoke to him and the next week was out there playing and has ever since ....... I know where your coming from , but these young players these days are over sensitive , throwing him in lower grade at this stage aint going to do him any good ...... Lets just go a bit longer and see if he improves , if not then change things .......
My problem is, surely he's been given many bombs already. How many more before he's dropped?

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Seems to me the biggest beef from some on here is his lack of desire to have the ball in his hands. I dont believe that is the case as he can be often seen sniffing round the ball carrier. The kid wants the leather in his hands as he knows he possesses ball skills. Surely so do our coaches so is up to them to relay to our halves and hooker to give him more ball when he comes sniffing.
If we ever get an engine room that we need the kid will shine but until then he will continue to be ordinary

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Surely so do our coaches so is up to them to relay to our halves and hooker to give him more ball

Did my above post not resonate with any of you, other than Illusion.This 20 year old is still a rookie on training wheels, he needs time to adjust to this level. For crying out loud a good coach should see this, not a bad one like Griffin and dump him, killing his remaining confidence. When he matures he will be a match winner for us.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
is up to them to relay to our halves and hooker to give him more ball
I have thought that at times but that didn't happen last week. He chose to pass whenever he could. Looked like he was trying to avoid running the ball as much as possible.

Ryan

SGI Jersey Flegg
Dragons by 2

First try: Jayden Sullivan
MOM: Jack de Belin (and make him the new captain period.)

Eric

Staff
As jodragon40 jodragon40 keeps saying, need a big, hard running prop to get the team going forward. The reason they have been dominating field position is because every set they are making 60m to out 40m!