Round 15: St George Illawarra v Manly

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
Mate I hope he comes good , but he is taking his time , I'm comparing him to other young fullbacks that have had less time than him and one played against us on Sunday , young Hopa , then the young fullback from the Storm only a hand full of games ........ I'm not at all against young Sloan but he needs to get more aggressive with everything he does , when he does make a break head down and go for it as if he is going to score ..... Seen him ease up looking for support the kid is fast enough to go all out and take players on ...... Anyway hope next game he has a blinder then I will love him again ...... Time will tell .......
agreeing kevin corrigan GIF

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Seen him ease up looking for support the kid is fast enough to go all out and take players on
You and I have seen him take players on and burn em thru sheer speed, also seen him do as you say and look for support. The kid has a good footy mind and ball skills and is using them more this season when he feels he cant score himself. I will back him on this.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
You and I have seen him take players on and burn em thru sheer speed, also seen him do as you say and look for support. The kid has a good footy mind and ball skills and is using them more this season when he feels he cant score himself. I will back him on this.
Seems to drift in and out of games. Latrell Mitchell does that too. In his case, I think he isn't fit enough but in Sloans case, not tough enough.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
Take a close look at the replay and other replays this season mate. He spends a lot of time sniffing round the ball carrier. Not his fault if he is not fed the leather as often as he wants.
He spends a lot of time around the ball. The best fullbacks are there for almost every tackle. He's getting better. Big improvement on last year but since the start of the year, no improvement at all, IMO. He needs to improve.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Big improvement on last year but since the start of the year, no improvement at all,
Is that a contradiction of yourself.

DEFENSE- 50% improvement
DEFENSIVE ATTITUDE 90%
INTENT- 50%
BOMB - Safe
Hard to determine how he is doing in organizing the defense.

Edward

SGI Jersey Flegg
Is that a contradiction of yourself.

DEFENSE- 50% improvement
DEFENSIVE ATTITUDE 90%
INTENT- 50%
BOMB - Safe
Hard to determine how he is doing in organizing the defense.
I like Sloan. I agree with you he is improving. At this rate, next year he's going to be much better. This year he's lucky Dragons have no one else otherwise he'd be in NSW Cup.

But he is no safe under bombs. About 25% of the time he doesn't even try to catch them. Lets them bounce.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Seems about right but maybe a bit of an exaggeration. Running the ball, making breaks or line break assists is way, way less than the best fullbacks.
Betting most of these BEST fullbacks are way older and experienced than Sloan. Two that come to mind are Tedesco and Edwards. How long did it take that pair to reach their current level. Changa Langlands was a centre before he was switched to fullback. It is probably the most difficult of all positions as it has so many aspects to master.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
About 25% of the time he doesn't even try to catch them. Lets them bounce.
I have seen that on no more than three occasions this year and in one of those, by his reaction, he was put off by one of our guys in front of him who looked to steady under the ball then pulled out as Sloan closed, then slowed so consequently the ball bounced. Still twice is two times too many, but there is some lite as last week he moved nicely into one as the defense neared, one that he'd have balked at in the past, so he is finally learning that he has to attack the pressure bombs. He is as safe as houses under long kicks as not seen him spill one in more than a season. Like I say he is still a novice in this position. The club has backed this kid, still 21/22, so will I and so should you guys.

Last edited:

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
Betting most of these BEST fullbacks are way older and experienced than Sloan. Two that come to mind are Tedesco and Edwards. How long did it take that pair to reach their current level. Changa Langlands was a centre before he was switched to fullback. It is probably the most difficult of all positions as it has so many aspects to master.
Tedesco and Edwards are. Walsh is younger. Ponga, Tom Trobojevic aren't much older. They've just been very good from a very young age.

Sloan is ok. Not the worst fullback. Very far from the best. Needs to work on his game.

Last edited: