Round 17: St George Illawarra vs The Dolphins

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
Team Tips:
The Dragons have a much longer back up this week after playing the first game in Round 14 after the Origin series opener. All three of the club’s Origin representatives, Ben Hunt, Jaydn Su’A and Zac Lomax, all backed up then, so they will almost certainly feature in Round 17. Jack Bird is also due to return and is a strong chance of replacing Max Feagai in the centres with Moses Suli likely sidelined for another week due to a hamstring injury. Hame Sele is a chance of taking the field, having been battling a shoulder injury.

No to Bird in the centres. He's the utility player we need on the bench. Need Zac in the centres or both Feagai's in the centres and Finau on the wing. With the improved form of Frank Molo and Lawrie starting on the bench that will be 3 of our main 4 problem areas mostly fixed. The other problem is Kyle Flanagan. He's not first grade standard but Flanno can't see it, won't hear of it, isn't doing anything about it.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
Team Tips:
The Dragons have a much longer back up this week after playing the first game in Round 14 after the Origin series opener. All three of the club’s Origin representatives, Ben Hunt, Jaydn Su’A and Zac Lomax, all backed up then, so they will almost certainly feature in Round 17. Jack Bird is also due to return and is a strong chance of replacing Max Feagai in the centres with Moses Suli likely sidelined for another week due to a hamstring injury. Hame Sele is a chance of taking the field, having been battling a shoulder injury.

No to Bird in the centres. He's the utility player we need on the bench. Need Zac in the centres or both Feagai's in the centres and Finau on the wing. With the improved form of Frank Molo and Lawrie starting on the bench that will be 3 of our main 4 problem areas mostly fixed. The other problem is Kyle Flanagan. He's not first grade standard but Flanno can't see it, won't hear of it, isn't doing anything about it.
What are the 4 problem areas?

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
What are the 4 problem areas?
  1. Slow backline. Finau on the wing, Bird not in the backline helps to fix the problem.
  2. Lack of go forward with props. Molo playing better then Lawrie coming on helps fix that.
  3. Lack of a utility on the bench. Bird on the bench fixes that.
  4. Kyle Flanno not first grade standard.

TheRev

SGI Jersey Flegg
o I think SFinau will be a starter on the wing if not this year then next... esp if we let go of 3-4 outside backs like I suspect we will.

o Not sure what to do with Bird.. I dont think he can fill in at hooker which is one of the main reasons we need a 14.. but.. hes a good fit for most any other position. It'll be rly interesting heading into 2025.. cause Flanno was happy to let him go which means hes ready to move on now.. and you would hope that Flanno does find a like for like replacement for Lomax (or atleast similar), it just depending if the player can handle centre.

Eric

Staff
  1. Slow backline. Finau on the wing, Bird not in the backline helps to fix the problem.
  2. Lack of go forward with props. Molo playing better then Lawrie coming on helps fix that.
  3. Lack of a utility on the bench. Bird on the bench fixes that.
  4. Kyle Flanno not first grade standard.
And my pet hate, no decent ball player/playmaker.

Eric

Staff
o I think SFinau will be a starter on the wing if not this year then next... esp if we let go of 3-4 outside backs like I suspect we will.

o Not sure what to do with Bird.. I dont think he can fill in at hooker which is one of the main reasons we need a 14.. but.. hes a good fit for most any other position. It'll be rly interesting heading into 2025.. cause Flanno was happy to let him go which means hes ready to move on now.. and you would hope that Flanno does find a like for like replacement for Lomax (or atleast similar), it just depending if the player can handle centre.
I thought Bird might able to full in at hooker for 15~20min game. If he trains for it. Why not?

TheRev

SGI Jersey Flegg
I thought Bird might able to full in at hooker for 15~20min game. If he trains for it. Why not?
Hopefully he will surprise me, but I have 2 concerns:
1) I didnt know if his crook knees could handle the game time and training required
2) I've noticed this year he really struggles to throw an accurate pass.. like I've been wanting him to stop throwing them wherever possible to reduce errors.. I dont really understand it as a guy who has played 5/8.

Eric

Staff
Hopefully he will surprise me, but I have 2 concerns:
1) I didnt know if his crook knees could handle the game time and training required
2) I've noticed this year he really struggles to throw an accurate pass.. like I've been wanting him to stop throwing them wherever possible to reduce errors.. I dont really understand it as a guy who has played 5/8.
You're right. Maybe it's time Bird chased a deal in the ESL. He might go okay in the forwards over there.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup

Dragons team:

1. Tyrell Sloan
  2. Zac Lomax
  3. Moses Suli
  4. Max Feagai
  5. Mathew Feagai
  6. Kyle Flanagan
  7. Ben Hunt
  8. Francis Molo
  9. Jacob Liddle
  10. Jack de Belin
  11. Raymond Faitala-Mariner
  12. Jaydn Su’A
  13. Tom Eisenhuth
  14. Blake Lawrie
  15. Ben Murdoch-Masila
  16. Toby Couchman
  17. Luciano Leilua

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
It's very doubtful Suli will play, in fact I doubt he plays next week.
The following are on the extended bench. No Sione Finau. What did he do wrong in his one first grade game?
  • Michael Molo
  • Christian Tuipulotu
  • Ryan Couchman
  • Jesse Marschke
  • Jack Bird
  • Fa’amanu Brown

TheRev

SGI Jersey Flegg
Losing Suli is so big for is.. he makes for that 1-2 punch with the 2nd rowers.

Im also surprised SFinau isnt ahead of CTui, but with the Feagais and perhaps Rava gone end of year, I think he is very close for 2025.

Eric

Staff
Losing Suli is so big for is.. he makes for that 1-2 punch with the 2nd rowers.

Im also surprised SFinau isnt ahead of CTui, but with the Feagais and perhaps Rava gone end of year, I think he is very close for 2025.
Very close for 2025 agree but what's wrong with him right now? Was really good in his one first grade game.