Round 17: St George Illawarra vs The Dolphins

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
We lack go forward against the top 8 teams, and more importantly we lack creativity and speed in our halves and backs.
So where is the improvement. We are still inconsistent, cant close out games, still being hammered from second half meltdowns, still embarrassing our fans. Not the spoon, but we aint getting close to the finals either, unless Flanagan makes changes for the better and stops selecting his bias choices..

Last edited:

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Martin and Crighton should be in the middle or not at all. Blues selectors have better edgies to choose from than this pair. How about our own Luch. Need someone more agile than Robson and a bigger prop with more impact than Jake Turbo.

Last edited:

Eric

Staff
My expected improvement has occurred which to those doomsayers who thought we would collect the wooden spoon being put in their place and eating humble pie. However we are not in contention for playing semi finals football again this season. We lack go forward against the top 8 teams, and more importantly we lack creativity and speed in our halves and backs. I selected us to finish between 12th and 15th this season and I am confident that will be the case. Cook will bring some much needed speed and direct play next season but we need 1 big bodied bookend and some extra speed in our backline before we can talk about September football again. I dont believe that our current halves combination can manage a game sufficiently to make us a competitive top 8 team. The coach in my view has done the best he could do with the squad he inherited . Fingers crossed for 2025.
If my memory serves, JoDragon has been saying for a while he doesn't expect a serious, finals quality side until 2025.

I was more optimistic but I always am in regard to the Dragons. About now, I hope JoDragon is right.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
If my memory serves, JoDragon has been saying for a while he doesn't expect a serious, finals quality side until 2025.

I was more optimistic but I always am in regard to the Dragons. About now, I hope JoDragon is right.
You are correct in 2021 I indicated that 2025 would be our best shot at making the top 8 again. In saying that I don't think we will be a competitive top 8 team next season.

Eric

Staff
So where is the improvement. We are still inconsistent, cant close out games, still being hammered from second half meltdowns. Still embarrassing our fans. Perhaps not the spoon, but we aint getting close to the finals either, unless Flanagan makes changes for the better and stops selecting his bias choices..
The thing that annoys me is the selections. Griffin, largely his own fault, didn't have many options. Flanno has more options but going with his favourites regardless of how they or Cup player potential replacements are going.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
So where is the improvement. We are still inconsistent, cant close out games, still being hammered from second half meltdowns. Still embarrassing our fans. Perhaps not the spoon, but we aint getting close to the finals either, unless Flanagan makes changes for the better and stops selecting his bias choices..
In my view this coach has done his best with what we have. At the very least we have improved our defensive capabilities, missed tackles generally speaking has improved by 50%. The coach has shown he has different game plans for the opposition and has contingency plans unlike his predecessor's. He has resisted the temptation to rush our rising stars into 1sts before they are both physically and mentally ready which he has been criticised for. In saying that he has the credentials to continue to improve our playing group but will need to entice a couple of good quality players to the club, time will tell if he can.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
The thing that annoys me is the selections. Griffin, largely his own fault, didn't have many options. Flanno has more options but going with his favourites regardless of how they or Cup player potential replacements are going.
Look no criticism here against your views you are certainly entitled to them. However unless you have coached or played at this level there are a myriad of reasons why you just can't simply make rushed and rash decisions about the future of our young rising stars. Yes some clubs have succesfully introduced young stars into their 1sts teams this year and generally speaking they have been very good. However anyone on this forum or others that have tasted 1sts grade will tell you it's the 2nd season in 1sts when you are no longer the unknown finds you out. Just my personal views.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
finals quality side until 2025.
Only Cook of any note, so where are these quality players for '25 Flanagan has promised. Now Stephano is on the open market fat chance us getting him over the big guns. Same as was the case with Fonau-Blake, Dearden and the others we targeted. Even the effing wooden spooners are recruiting better than us.

Eric

Staff
Look no criticism here against your views you are certainly entitled to them. However unless you have coached or played at this level there are a myriad of reasons why you just can't simply make rushed and rash decisions about the future of our young rising stars. Yes some clubs have succesfully introduced young stars into their 1sts teams this year and generally speaking they have been very good. However anyone on this forum or others that have tasted 1sts grade will tell you it's the 2nd season in 1sts when you are no longer the unknown finds you out. Just my personal views.
I haven't (played or coached at that level) but it seemed to me the Couchman's were ready last year. And recently Finau has shown he is a better winger than either Feagai, Rava or CT but he is behind all of them. He's 22 now! as if he needs another 3 years to be ready for first grade. Then we have the delicate issue of why Kyle Flanno was recruited in the first place and why there is no pressure on him.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
improved our defensive capabilities, missed tackles generally speaking has improved by 50%.
That is mainly down to Dean Young not Flanagan. The head coach has not improved our attitude, inconsistency, discipline or our desire 'to not give in until the final siren'. Those were Youngs own words at the start of the season.

Last edited:

Edward

SGI Jersey Flegg
That is mainly down to Dean Young not Flanagan. The head coach has not improved our attitude, inconsistency, discipline or our desire 'to not give in until the final siren'. Those were Youngs own words at the start of the season.
Probably a team effort among the coaching staff but I'm not happy with Flanno either. Recruiting Kyle Flanno was one thing but Eisenhuth, RFM, Luicano as well? I like all 3 of those and think all 3 have something to offer but all 3 of them? When we already have a number of long-term NRL forwards or veterans on the books. Really, really bad recruitment. Should have recruited one of them and then a few young lower graders stuck behind big names at their clubs. Also ESL and Rugby Union.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
I haven't (played or coached at that level) but it seemed to me the Couchman's were ready last year. And recently Finau has shown he is a better winger than either Feagai, Rava or CT but he is behind all of them. He's 22 now! as if he needs another 3 years to be ready for first grade. Then we have the delicate issue of why Kyle Flanno was recruited in the first place and why there is no pressure on him.
I dont disagree with you. I never coached or played 1sts either but reserves give you a perspective on what is required. You do deal with the 1sts coaching and training staff and if they are professional will converse with you together you identify what that particular player needs to progress. Natural talent will only take you so far. I believe unlike the old school coach that we did have that this coach can have us playing semi finals football again next year

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
I believe unlike the old school coach that we did have that this coach can have us playing semi finals football again next year
Boy, that is optimistic. Fat chance unless we add speed and class to our outside backs, buy or promote a quality big prop, a utility back and above all, a game manager.

Last edited:

Eric

Staff
Luch is the only one of the three I rate. You can see it in his passion for the RedV which he first wore as a kid before we let him go. He was a Saints junior too, Hurstville United, I recall.
Me too. I tell you, for a tackling machine, Eisenhuth misses a lot! And RFM has the occasional good game. I think he's had 2 in 14 games.

Eric

Staff
I dont disagree with you. I never coached or played 1sts either but reserves give you a perspective on what is required. You do deal with the 1sts coaching and training staff and if they are professional will converse with you together you identify what that particular player needs to progress. Natural talent will only take you so far. I believe unlike the old school coach that we did have that this coach can have us playing semi finals football again next year
Sounds reasonable. Just as long as we don't revisit the Price and McGregor eras where merely making the finals is a huge accomplishment.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
Seen photo of Zac leg from before the game, it was a mess then, Flanno wants him to play but I can't see him backing up. He also has issue with his shoulder.
Well done for getting through the Origin game but a shame if he can't back up on Sunday.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Sounds reasonable. Just as long as we don't revisit the Price and McGregor eras where merely making the finals is a huge accomplishment.
Agree I would hope 20262027 a competitive top 8 team depending upon recruitment and retention