Round 17: St George Illawarra vs The Dolphins

Dave03

SGI Jersey Flegg
Flanno is picking his best side to make the finals. Imo he doesn't really care about future development at this stage, well not blooding them to the detriment of making finals. It might change in the last 4-6 weeks of the season but I doubt it.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
Flanno is picking his best side to make the finals. Imo he doesn't really care about future development at this stage, well not blooding them to the detriment of making finals. It might change in the last 4-6 weeks of the season but I doubt it.
Agree. I just think Ryan Couchman and Sione Finau are better than who Flanno is picking now. Much better in fact. And I can't understand how Flanno thinks differently. And he's only giving Toby very limited time.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Bird on the bench fixes that.
This guy is rubbish in any position. Brown is a known utility so why has he not played lately to solve the utility problem we faced when losing Suli mid game. Why the f*ck did we bring the bloke here from England for him not to play when needed?

Dave03

SGI Jersey Flegg
Then someone sitting on his fat arse and sipping chardonay in our boardroom, please tell me why we pay Flanagan big bucks to keep us in mediocrity.

We've already won more games than last season, we have multiple rep players & there's been some good team performances. We're also in finals contention right now, most people favoured us for the spoon. I don't agree with everything Flanno has done but we've improved on last season. Imo the dislike for Flanno is a bit over the top considering the team performance.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
We've already won more games than last season, we have multiple rep players & there's been some good team performances. We're also in finals contention right now, most people favoured us for the spoon. I don't agree with everything Flanno has done but we've improved on last season. Imo the dislike for Flanno is a bit over the top considering the team performance.
Analysis = true

But I also think the team could be much better with the players Flanno can choose but isn't.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
I don't agree with everything Flanno has done but we've improved on last season.
Minimal improvement at best on last season. May have won one more game over same time frame but we are still very inconsistent and conceding massive points mostly from second half meltdowns. Flanagan is not improving our attitude, discipline or will to win, plus he continues picking 'his choices' over superior players. So I say the over the top criticism of him is very much warranted.

Last edited:

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
Show me the proof we have improved on last season. May have won one more game over same time frame but take a gander at some of the losses and massive points conceded. Flanagan is not improving our attitude, discipline or will to win, plus he continues picking 'his choices' over superior players. So I say the over the top criticism of him is very much warranted.
Hmmmm That's true as well.

Dave03

SGI Jersey Flegg
Show me the proof we have improved on last season. May have won one more game over same time frame but take a gander at some of the losses and massive points conceded. Flanagan is not improving our attitude, discipline or will to win, plus he continues picking 'his choices' over superior players. So I say the over the top criticism of him is very much warranted.

Proof is in the performances, we're 2 games clear of last seasons wins & we're about half way through this season. Lomax, Sua have played origin this year, another improvement on last year. Yes defence has been poor in some games but it's also been good in other games. Show me proof of the superior players that are overlooked. We've been able to recruit Luciano Leilua & Damien Cook, another positive compared to last year when no one was coming to us. This is on top of Su'a re-signing with us.

It's not perfect & I think it's foolish to expect perfection in his 1st season as our head coach but it's hell of a lot better than last year. So no, I don't agree with your criticism of Flanno is warranted.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Bennetts Dolphins put 38 points on us last game and we replied with a big fat zero, zilch, nothing. Their 17 came hungry and we were as meek as lambs.
That game team list and the forwards we picked this week are largely the same, while the outside backs are completely different with no Suli, Bird or Rava, instead we have the failed Fegais in their places.

Last edited:

Edward

SGI Jersey Flegg
Proof is in the performances, we're 2 games clear of last seasons wins & we're about half way through this season. Lomax, Sua have played origin this year, another improvement on last year. Yes defence has been poor in some games but it's also been good in other games. Show me proof of the superior players that are overlooked. We've been able to recruit Luciano Leilua & Damien Cook, another positive compared to last year when no one was coming to us. This is on top of Su'a re-signing with us.

It's not perfect & I think it's foolish to expect perfection in his 1st season as our head coach but it's hell of a lot better than last year. So no, I don't agree with your criticism of Flanno is warranted.
Going better than last year but have better players to choose from. Should be going better than we are. Flanno has done ok with the team he has but why the Couchman's haven't both been in since round 1 and getting much more minutes than Toby is getting is bizarre.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
We've been able to recruit Luciano Leilua & Damien Cook,
Only two quality players out of his recruits, even tho Cook has probably played his best footy. As for the reps, Lomax made it very clear he was not happy being moved to the wing but he had no choice. The guy does not know how to not put in less than 100% every time he slips on a Red V jumper. His rep promotion was long overdue. S'ua credited his new attitude and form to Dean Young, not Shane Flanagan and the likely reason he committed to another two years.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
Only two quality players out of his recruits, even tho Cook has probably played his best footy. As for the reps, Lomax made it very clear he was not happy being moved to the wing but he had no choice. The guy does not know how to not put in less than 100% every time he slips on a Red V jumper. His rep promotion was long overdue. S'ua credited his new attitude and form to Dean Young, not Shane Flanagan and the likely reason he committed to another two years.
Cook was quality. Might still be but for how much longer? The rest of this year and the next 2 years? Doubt it.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Zac starred for the Blues bagging 18 points with a double and 5 goals, which has now put himself front and centre for a Kangaroo berth end of season. Like I say his elevation to reps has been overdue.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
My expected improvement has occurred which to those doomsayers who thought we would collect the wooden spoon being put in their place and eating humble pie. However we are not in contention for playing semi finals football again this season. We lack go forward against the top 8 teams, and more importantly we lack creativity and speed in our halves and backs. I selected us to finish between 12th and 15th this season and I am confident that will be the case. Cook will bring some much needed speed and direct play next season but we need 1 big bodied bookend and some extra speed in our backline before we can talk about September football again. I dont believe that our current halves combination can manage a game sufficiently to make us a competitive top 8 team. The coach in my view has done the best he could do with the squad he inherited . Fingers crossed for 2025.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Riccio banging on about how Zac should shake the hand of Flanagan when he returns to Dragons training for moving him to wing. Get a grip, Zac should instead give him a swift kick up the date hole for not battling to keep him a Dragon.

Zac is playing no differently now than when at centre Riccio. Still has to go looking for the leather, still has blokes in front him when he does get it. Probably the only difference being on the flank is when following bombs as he has more room to move and to better time his leap to pluck balls from the air AFL style, like he did when he first started with us as a kid, this season and again last nite.

Last edited: