Round 19: Dragons vs Brisbane Broncos

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
I was at the game and he took a lot of those bombs right in front of me glad it was him and not me. He had no protection but stood his ground. Last year would of dropped most of them. Yes he has defensive problems but he can improve just like his catching has. Just has to continue to bulk up. I think he can grow into a great full back just have to give him time. We're all saying let's use our own juniors but when we do you bag him. Come on give him a go.
True but some of that defence is just sooooo bad, you can forgive fans being fed up with him.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
I lifted this from my other league forum. Any of your guys slagging off Sloan take a note of this during the game. I Missed it but will try to see it in the replay.

The amount of pressure the Broncs placed on Sloan in last night's game was EPIC. Even Ginnane commented on it during the game. Even when he was supporting a break, the Broncs defenders made sure he couldn't get to a good position to support line breaks. It was so obvious, the intense scrutiny Sloan had on him. It is amazing he played an okayish game.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
some of that defence is just sooooo bad
Mate he is not the only one with similar defense. Just that he is signaled out because he is the last line. What about some of the shoddy stuff from the so called tackling machine, Eisenhuth. I could tackle better than that when I was 14 and just quietly better than Sloan too.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
Mate he is not the only one with similar defense. Just that he is signaled out because he is the last line. What about some of the shoddy stuff from the so called tackling machine, Eisenhuth. I could tackle better than that when I was 14 and just quietly better than Sloan too.
Eisenhuth should be the first replaced. All the more so because unlike Kyle Flanno, there are several possible replacements.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
I was at the game and he took a lot of those bombs right in front of me glad it was him and not me. He had no protection but stood his ground. Last year would of dropped most of them. Yes he has defensive problems but he can improve just like his catching has. Just has to continue to bulk up. I think he can grow into a great full back just have to give him time. We're all saying let's use our own juniors but when we do you bag him. Come on give him a go.
Was there as well and I agree with the bombs being defused he has undoubtedly been doing extra training in this area and it has worked. I cannot for the life of me understand why our defensive system is so poor that he was unprotected by his own team mates as he went up for those catches. So as I have said a coaches job is to try and achieve equality in a players strengths and weaknesses so a tick in this area. He was injecting himself around the ball carrier in the 1st half making himself available. Now we need to work on his defensive positioning when the opposition is in our 20m area and also work on his ability to tackle one on one and how to attack the ball on the line and hold up the ball carrier. I was behind him when he let that little replacement hooker over which was cringeworthy and again when Suli slowed Staggs down but failed to make the tackle and Sloan missed him. It's technique. You can teach technique as long as the player understands what you are trying to achieve and has the ability to change . Time will tell if Sloan can change his technique and defensive positional play. The trip home to the Goldie was a good one on this rare occasion.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Eisenhuth should be the first replaced. All the more so because unlike Kyle Flanno, there are several possible replacements.
Seriously? I disagree. I was there and yes Eisenhuth missed tackles mainly because of fatigue. At best Eisenhuth is a 50 min player anything over that and he is too tired. So let us compare last night stats. Eisenhuth played for 57 min made 45 tackles missed 6. Molo played 36 min made 23 missed 6, Liddle made 43 missed 5 but played 80, Su'a made 28 missed 3 Flanagan made 23 missed 5 and of course Sloan made 4 missed 4. When your making more tackles the chances are you are going to miss more tackles that's the nature of the game. Defensively Molo would be the first to be replaced. Although Su'a is very good attacking wise defensively he's not good. We have mentioned Sloan not good enough at the moment in defence one on one. On a brighter note Couchman was again outstanding to my eye he will be one of our mainstays in our pack for many years to come. Just my views

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
💯 Glad someone else can see his enormous potential. Jesus the kid did his best during the horses barnstorming last 30. Blame the shoddy middles with three making a piddling 38 tackles between them, one Murdoch-Masila made a staggering 4. Sloan is still a work in progress in the multi faceted full back role. His intent has increased two fold, note his kick returns and taking of the bomb, took a couple of hi pressure screamers last week. His defensive attitude has improved, needs work still on his technique. Surely between Deano and JDB that can be sorted. Yes needs to add kilos and muscle to give him more confidence against a bigger one on one opponent.
Agree, the ball is in his court. Another 5kg of muscle wouldn't hurt the issue is for anyone that has ever coached you can't bombard a player with trying to work on his weaknesses all at once. You have to priorities

Last edited:

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
Seriously? I disagree. I was there and yes Eisenhuth missed tackles mainly because of fatigue. At best Eisenhuth is a 50 min player anything over that and he is too tired. So let us compare last night stats. Eisenhuth played for 57 min made 45 tackles missed 6. Molo played 36 min made 23 missed 6, Liddle made 43 missed 5 but played 80, Su'a made 28 missed 3 Flanagan made 23 missed 5 and of course Sloan made 4 missed 4. When your making more tackles the chances are you are going to miss more tackles that's the nature of the game. Defensively Molo would be the first to be replaced. Although Su'a is very good attacking wise defensively he's not good. We have mentioned Sloan not good enough at the moment in defence one on one. On a brighter note Couchman was again outstanding to my eye he will be one of our mainstays in our pack for many years to come. Just my views
Simple solution. Ryan Couchman is better on every respect. Plays longer at a higher level. Egan is a better defender too. Neither cause the defence much trouble.

But Frank Molo needs a kick up the pants as well.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
True but some of that defence is just sooooo bad, you can forgive fans being fed up with him.
Fans can be such a fickle bunch of people. Everyone suddenly becomes an armchair critic and an expert in coaching. In my personal views any person that has been able to pull on a 1st grade jersey has achieved what 98% of registered players only dreams about and they should be congratulated on their achievement.

Last edited:

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Simple solution. Ryan Couchman is better on every respect. Plays longer at a higher level. Egan is a better defender too. Neither cause the defence much trouble.

But Frank Molo needs a kick up the pants as well.
If it was that simple wouldn't it be great. There are a myriad of reasons why this won't happen overnight. In attack Eisenhuth is what we call a set player. He gets the ball to a position on the field so that you can execute your attacking structures his job is not to score tries. Every single team has such a player or players in their pack.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
Fans can be such a fickle bunch of people. Everyone suddenly becomes an armchair critical and an expert in coaching. In my personal views any person that has been able to pull on a 1st grade jersey has achieved what 98% of registered players only dreams about and they should be congratulated on their achievement.
Analysis = true

But they are paid big money to play well.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
If it was that simple wouldn't it be great. There are a myriad of reasons why this won't happen overnight. In attack Eisenhuth is what we call a set player. He gets the ball to a position on the field so that you can execute your attacking structures his job is not to score tries. Every single team has such a player or players in their pack.
One major reason. Flanno is incredibly stubborn. No reason Ryan C or Egan couldn't do what you described.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
One major reason. Flanno is incredibly stubborn. No reason Ryan C or Egan couldn't do what you described.
You have to understand that any rising star has to be nurtured, learning their trade off players such as Eisenhuth and co. The rigours, standards, speed toughness of playing 1sts can and does take its toll on young players. Some are exceptional and can fit in especially in their first full season when there qualities are not known to the opposition but then the majority don't. There is always the 2nd year jinx where all of a sudden you become a focus and that's when you get found out and your weaknesses are exposed. Couchman x 2 Egan will get their chance we are rebuilding our culture and these youngsters will be a big part of creating a winning culture but all in good time be patient my friend it's a virtue.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
You have to understand that any rising star has to be nurtured, learning their trade off players such as Eisenhuth and co. The rigours, standards, speed toughness of playing 1sts can and does take its toll on young players. Some are exceptional and can fit in especially in their first full season when there qualities are not known to the opposition but then the majority don't. There is always the 2nd year jinx where all of a sudden you become a focus and that's when you get found out and your weaknesses are exposed. Couchman x 2 Egan will get their chance we are rebuilding our culture and these youngsters will be a big part of creating a winning culture but all in good time be patient my friend it's a virtue.
Analysis = true

But doesn't mean Ryan Couchman in particular isn't ready. Should give him a chance. Since Toby came in and started getting decent minutes IMO he's only behind JDB and Su'A as Dragons best forward.

TheRev

SGI Jersey Flegg
Agree, the Couchmans are only 20.5yrs old, and Toby is getting a good amount of gametime now for a young one, Ryan has been a little unlucky as 18th man a few times.. hes been 1 injury short of a bench spot.. and now we are running Bird as a utility again so there is 1 less spot. I do hope he gets atleast 2-3 games this year, even if its swapping out for Toby (or whoever), probably factor in that we are still technically in the hunt for finals.. which none of us thought we would be at this stage.. which is freaking amazing.

Egan is still finding his feet in NSW Cup, honestly he doesnt have any of the threat that RFM, Leilua or Sua have.. if he does make it, hes one I think needs an extra year or 2, hes not one of those teenage superstars.. I feel like we need to assess him early next year after another pre-season see if he is continuing to grow in NSW Cup... Nick will be there next year also.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Agree, the Couchmans are only 20.5yrs old, and Toby is getting a good amount of gametime now for a young one, Ryan has been a little unlucky as 18th man a few times.. hes been 1 injury short of a bench spot.. and now we are running Bird as a utility again so there is 1 less spot. I do hope he gets atleast 2-3 games this year, even if its swapping out for Toby (or whoever), probably factor in that we are still technically in the hunt for finals.. which none of us thought we would be at this stage.. which is freaking amazing.

Egan is still finding his feet in NSW Cup, honestly he doesnt have any of the threat that RFM, Leilua or Sua have.. if he does make it, hes one I think needs an extra year or 2, hes not one of those teenage superstars.. I feel like we need to assess him early next year after another pre-season see if he is continuing to grow in NSW Cup... Nick will be there next year also.
It's understandable that people get excited about the prospects of our young rising stars and want them to take the places of established 1st graders who may not live up to fans expectations but the reality is the longer you give these youngsters time, experience and allow their bodies to grow into men the better the chances of them being able to make it in 1st grade.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup

Egan is a great defender.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
What about the hi pressure bombs Sloan defused, one after the other. Twice he was crunched because of slack cover but never spilled the leather, plus his pinpoint spotting when to chime in to make the extra man has resulted in a crop of tries past few weeks and another one today.

Last edited:

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Seriously? I disagree. I was there and yes Eisenhuth missed tackles mainly because of fatigue. At best Eisenhuth is a 50 min player anything over that and he is too tired.
Thats no bloody excuse, the six he missed were vital as they gave the ponies plenty of field position and a probable two tries, one on the line was a piss weak attempt in the extreme. Fox had him making 34 tackles, where does the 46 come from. I agree he is expendable, with both Couchman boys providing better value.

Last edited: