Round 19: Dragons vs Brisbane Broncos

Just a Mug Fan

SGI Jersey Flegg
Analysis = true

But doesn't mean Ryan Couchman in particular isn't ready. Should give him a chance. Since Toby came in and started getting decent minutes IMO he's only behind JDB and Su'A as Dragons best forward.

It's understandable that people get excited about the prospects of our young rising stars and want them to take the places of established 1st graders who may not live up to fans expectations but the reality is the longer you give these youngsters time, experience and allow their bodies to grow into men the better the chances of them being able to make it in 1st grade.
My theory on what I know and how the cap works.

Ryan and Toby have big upgrade clauses in their contracts when they reach around 20 FG, which will affect next year's cap.

I believe it's the reason Toby missed out on games at the backed of last year and the same reason Ryan is not getting selected now.
Effectively Tobys up grade was put back a year and Ryan's another year.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup

Ryan and Toby have big upgrade clauses in their contracts when they reach around 20 FG, which will affect next year's cap.

I believe it's the reason Toby missed out on games at the backed of last year and the same reason Ryan is not getting selected now.
That makes a lot of sense. But wouldn't it piss off Ryan no end to know he's not getting selected not because of form or ability but because club wants to prevent a big upgrade on his salary?

Red T

SGI Jersey Flegg
Sloane ! They better give Sloane some wrestling classes ! He tries—but he is not a good defender. Plus his attack seems to have gone—the slightest touch and he is a man down ! Three tries this week and two last week because of bad defending…..

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup

I was of the same belief. People need to understand that every contract especially for those players who have been identified coming through our junior pathways have clauses. I.E. Couchman plays in 10 FG games then that automatically triggers a financial clause in his contract and that has to be added to next season salary cap

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
That makes a lot of sense. But wouldn't it piss off Ryan no end to know he's not getting selected not because of form or ability but because club wants to prevent a big upgrade on his salary?
That is the reality of running a business these days

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Sloane ! They better give Sloane some wrestling classes ! He tries—but he is not a good defender. Plus his attack seems to have gone—the slightest touch and he is a man down ! Three tries this week and two last week because of bad defending…..
I would suggest that now he is far more competent and confident in this aspect of his skillset the next weakness will now attract more attention.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
I was of the same belief. People need to understand that every contract especially for those players who have been identified coming through our junior pathways have clauses. I.E. Couchman plays in 10 FG games then that automatically triggers a financial clause in his contract and that has to be added to next season salary cap
Fair enough. So who TF is all our salary cap being spent on? Is Kyle Flanno on a mil a year?

Just a Mug Fan

SGI Jersey Flegg
Fair enough. So who TF is all our salary cap being spent on? Is Kyle Flanno on a mil a year?

I'm not sure perhaps Just a Mug Fan Just a Mug Fan may have some insight
So explain the unexplainable.

I'll start with, I regularly talk to players, mangers, and staff in recruitment and coaching and I still don't get it all.

Fans like to throw out this figure a player is on or sign this player for this amount, when in reality they have no idea what they are talking about.
I know what about half a dozen players are on and the media has never got them right.

Clubs have half a dozen people working on the cap and still get it wrong, you have teams like Parra and Knights needing to shed players for next year and a couple of club every year previous.
Bonuses, upgrades and especially ratchet clauses can add up and blow a cap.

CAP SPREAD
Some clubs have a few marquee players then a few middle players and then a lot of base players. These teams go well if they have no injuries.
We are more of a club with 1 marquee and a lot of middle depth taking up the cap, very few base players.
When you consider we had Zac Bird Mat Blocka out but were still able to bring in players with 50 game experience, that's the middle players that use the bulk of the cap.

We were under the cap last year 200k so we front loaded some players say 20k each if they accept it. That helps with this year, but we still have to deal with upgrades, Hunts 8% ratchet clause and players like Dan Russell last year who was getting around 5k bonus per game.

That just the easy part of the cap.

Ryan

SGI Jersey Flegg

I'll start with, I regularly talk to players, mangers, and staff in recruitment and coaching and I still don't get it all.

Fans like to throw out this figure a player is on or sign this player for this amount, when in reality they have no idea what they are talking about.
I know what about half a dozen players are on and the media has never got them right.

Clubs have half a dozen people working on the cap and still get it wrong, you have teams like Parra and Knights needing to shed players for next year and a couple of club every year previous.

CAP SPREAD
Some clubs have a few marquee players then a few middle players and then a lot of base players. These teams go well if they have no injuries.
We are more of a club with 1 marquee and a lot of middle depth taking up the cap, very few base players.
When you consider we had Zac Bird Mat Blocka out but were still able to bring in players with 50 game experience, that's the middle players that use the bulk of the cap.

We were under the cap last year 200k so we front loaded some players say 20k each if they accept it. That helps with this year, but we still have to deal with upgrades, Hunts 8% ratchet clause and players like Dan Russell last year who was getting around 5k bonus per game.

WTF is Hunts 8% clause? 8% less if he proves to be an average at best halfback??

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup

CAP SPREAD

I did try to explain something similar back in the pandemic period that there are clauses in each players contracts including the dreaded backend contracts that actually affects the next season salary cap but that didn't end too well for me. I'm glad that you could clarify that area. Cheers

Last edited:

TheRev

SGI Jersey Flegg
Incredible to think we were only 200k under last years cap, with so few marquees or even 'hotly contested' mid-tier or youngsters.. certainly compared to most other NRL clubs.

What will be interesting for 2025, is how much we have cap space we have spare to write off some of contracts like Lawrie and perhaps Bird, Rava, Fifita.. depends how many he wants out.. but there could also be some players who request releases.. SFinau comes to mind, been rly unlucky to be injured through this origin period where we needed wingers.. but he rly should have had a few games by now.. and hes on the market Nov 1st. It sux a bit because I think he could be a 1st choice winger next season but he might get signed elsewhere before we ever find out.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
Thats no bloody excuse, the six he missed were vital as they gave the ponies plenty of field position and a probable two tries, one on the line was a piss weak attempt in the extreme. Fox had him making 34 tackles, where does the 46 come from. I agree he is expendable, with both Couchman boys providing better value.
Whitney Houston Agree GIF

TheRev

SGI Jersey Flegg
We can criticise Flanno but we are in the mix for the finals. Who would have thought that at the start of the season ?👏
^ This is me 100%, I dont buy into all the negative stuff.. this is the first coach ive backed in many years.... I might not agree with 100% of selections, but the guy has infinitely more football insight than I ever will... as he tries to manage us out of the decade-long hole we have found ourselves.

I actually thought this roster would have us Bottom-2... and anything better was success.. but we should well surpass that, even factoring in a tough couple of losses that are probably coming with a cleary led penrith and the storm.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
^ This is me 100%, I dont buy into all the negative stuff.. this is the first coach ive backed in many years.... I might not agree with 100% of selections, but the guy has infinitely more football insight than I ever will... as he tries to manage us out of the decade-long hole we have found ourselves.

I actually thought this roster would have us Bottom-2... and anything better was success.. but we should well surpass that, even factoring in a tough couple of losses that are probably coming with a cleary led penrith and the storm.
Have overachieved so far. My only problem is that I think the squad could be achieving more. Also worried about next year. Does Flanno think goalkicking is going to secure Kyle's spot in the team?

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
We can criticise Flanno but we are in the mix for the finals. Who would have thought that at the start of the season ?👏
I love a punt as far back as I can remember. Love the gee Gees even owned and trained dish lickers in my life. So I love using analogies that combine my love of the punt with my love of the game. Flanagan is like that premiership winning jockey. He has been given a ride on a horse in the Melb Cup. This horse cannot possibly win the race. The challenge is for him to use his guile, expertise to get the best out of his mount as not to embarrass himself, the horse, the trainer or the owners. The horse runs above his starting price and finishes just behind the place getters. Everyone is excited for the horse and its improvement for another crack at the big prize next year. Flanagan is that jockey, the Dragons that horse.