12. Jaydn Su’A
  13. Tom Eisenhuth
  14. Hame Sele
  15. Luciano Leilua
  16. Toby Couchman
  17. Ben Murdoch-Masila
  18. Mathew Feagai
Blocka dropped
I get Flanno being hard on Blocka but what TF have Sele and BMM done that's so good!!??

TheRev

SGI Jersey Flegg
o Sele should be better after last weeks hitout, would be nice to see him get a few weeks consecutive football... BMM is just a big body, I like having him come on, its obviously much better if we are in the arm wrestle by that point so he can be a point of difference.

o Feel like Leilua off the bench is a much better situation for us also.. we got forced into starting him against the Broncos, it wasnt ideal.. I know its a long way away but im rly curious to see what Leilua looks like after a pre-season with us.

o And I think Flanno is going to gamble on a 4 forward bench again... he did it last time we played Penrith (tbf most of their forwards played that day).. 4 or 5 big backs.. 4 forwards on the bench.. just try to bash them.. I dont think it comes off.. but I think Flanno believe its our best chance of pulling off a win.. if we get injuries to the backs.. well.. such is life.

o The one thing I get scared about is grubbers.. I dont think we handle them well currently, and thats even with a speedman in Sloan.. its something that I am sure we will get tested with over the next 3 weeks.. the dogs are also pretty handy with grubbers also.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
I get Flanno being hard on Blocka but what TF have Sele and BMM done that's so good!!??
Not to mention the tackling machine Eisenhuth who doesn't make a great deal but misses quite a few tackles.

Don't mean to be negative on him. He goes ok. Just better options available.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
o Sele should be better after last weeks hitout, would be nice to see him get a few weeks consecutive football... BMM is just a big body, I like having him come on, its obviously much better if we are in the arm wrestle by that point so he can be a point of difference.

o Feel like Leilua off the bench is a much better situation for us also.. we got forced into starting him against the Broncos, it wasnt ideal.. I know its a long way away but im rly curious to see what Leilua looks like after a pre-season with us.

o And I think Flanno is going to gamble on a 4 forward bench again... he did it last time we played Penrith (tbf most of their forwards played that day).. 4 or 5 big backs.. 4 forwards on the bench.. just try to bash them.. I dont think it comes off.. but I think Flanno believe its our best chance of pulling off a win.. if we get injuries to the backs.. well.. such is life.

o The one thing I get scared about is grubbers.. I dont think we handle them well currently, and thats even with a speedman in Sloan.. its something that I am sure we will get tested with over the next 3 weeks.. the dogs are also pretty handy with grubbers also.
Surprised Bird isn't on the bench.

As for the grubbers, lack of speed will also make it hard to score off them.

Dave03

SGI Jersey Flegg
Imo that's our strongest team named this season. I really hope Lawrie &/or Bird aren't late inclusions.

Is RFM just a game by game proposition with his injury? Or has he fully recovered now. I agree with other that Leilua off the bench has more impact.

I finally understand the no utility pick on the bench since Leilua can cover 5/8th, Flanno can cover hooker & Su'a can move into the centres. I think it's a reason why Feagai is in the side as he can cover wing. There's no real need for a utility.

Dave03

SGI Jersey Flegg

Dragons team:

1. Tyrell Sloan
  2. Zac Lomax
  3. Moses Suli
  4. Max Feagai
  5. Christian Tuipulotu
  6. Kyle Flanagan
  7. Ben Hunt
  8. Francis Molo
  9. Jacob Liddle
  10. Jack de Belin
  11. Raymond Faitala-Mariner
  12. Jaydn Su’A
  13. Tom Eisenhuth
  14. Hame Sele
  15. Luciano Leilua
  16. Toby Couchman
  17. Ben Murdoch-Masila
  18. Mathew Feagai
Blocka dropped

I think our bench is stronger.

Rest of the reserves
19. Blake Lawrie
20. Jack Bird
21. Fa'amanu Brown
22. Mikaele Ravawala

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
I think our bench is stronger.

Rest of the reserves
19. Blake Lawrie
20. Jack Bird
21. Fa'amanu Brown
22. Mikaele Ravawala
Not a bad idea if Rava could play in the middle. Otherwise definitely need another prop and you would drop Toby Couchman?

Edward

SGI Jersey Flegg
Like BMM bench impact, I thought Sele had a great game & Lawrie is injured. Worried about Cleary exposing Sloans defensive positioning & goal line defence.
Toby Couchman has much more impact than BMM. Sometimes it seems to me people think BMM has impact because someone his size who moves pretty well should have but if you look at his stats for run metres, tackle breaks, post contact metres, he really doesn't have much impact.

TheRev

SGI Jersey Flegg
Short minutes BMM bowls right through a tired defensive line, he runs off the back fence, totally changes the momentum of a game.

Longer minutes id favour Toby or Ryan, they dont dent the line but they have huge motors and footwork.

Edward

SGI Jersey Flegg
Short minutes BMM bowls right through a tired defensive line, he runs off the back fence, totally changes the momentum of a game.

Longer minutes id favour Toby or Ryan, they dont dent the line but they have huge motors and footwork.
I think Toby Couchman causes the opposition defence far more trouble at any stage of the game and at any level of fatigue. And he does it for longer. And tackles better. Based on NSW Cup, I think Ryan would do that too.

Dave03

SGI Jersey Flegg

Yep, he has more impact per carries. They both play different roles in our fwd pack. You need to judge stats per the players role.

Statistically CT would have better games than Suli but they play different roles in our backline.

Toby is a better player but we shouldn't be underselling BMM impact either.

Dave03

SGI Jersey Flegg
I hope there's no late changes, it looks like Matt F & Lawrie will be our 2 reserves since they aren't named in the NSW cup side.

Edward

SGI Jersey Flegg
Yep, he has more impact per carries. They both play different roles in our fwd pack. You need to judge stats per the players role.

Statistically CT would have better games than Suli but they play different roles in our backline.

Toby is a better player but we shouldn't be underselling BMM impact either.
True. But we shouldn't be underselling Ryan Couchman's or Blake Lawries impact either. If coach wants to keep BMM in the 17, good but in that case drop Eisenhuth for Ryan Couchman.

It just seems like Flanno prefers his multi-club veterans than good young players. No matter how well the young players play in NSW Cup.

Last edited:

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
True. But we shouldn't be underselling Ryan Couchman's or Blake Lawries impact either. If coach wants to keep BMM in the 17, good but in that case drop Eisenhuth for Ryan Couchman.

It just seems like Flanno prefers his multi-club veterans than good young players. No matter how well the young players play in NSW Cup.
Some will say, "No, trust Flanno because we have improved a lot." It's true but how much improvement will there be next year and how much better could the team be this year?

Dave03

SGI Jersey Flegg

Flanno might not be picking R.Couchman in the top 17 because it'll mean he hits X amount of games played which would increase his salary cap for next year, ditto with other youngsters not getting game. That's my view on it. I don't doubt R. Couchmans ability but I'm not too fussed about his non-selection yet compared to the guys in the team.

Imo guys like BMM, Eisenhuth, RFM etc are only getting games this season while Flanno is pushing for a top 8 spot. Next year after he's had another pre-season with our younger players, he'll start playing them in 1st grade more regularly.

It's also been mentioned that Flanno doesn't like picking younger players going back to his Sharks days, so I could be totally wrong too.

Edward

SGI Jersey Flegg
Flanno might not be picking R.Couchman in the top 17 because it'll mean he hits X amount of games played which would increase his salary cap for next year, ditto with other youngsters not getting game. That's my view on it. I don't doubt R. Couchmans ability but I'm not too fussed about his non-selection yet compared to the guys in the team.

Imo guys like BMM, Eisenhuth, RFM etc are only getting games this season while Flanno is pushing for a top 8 spot. Next year after he's had another pre-season with our younger players, he'll start playing them in 1st grade more regularly.

It's also been mentioned that Flanno doesn't like picking younger players going back to his Sharks days, so I could be totally wrong too.
I understand the theory. Everyone is scratching their heads about the continued non-selection. But I tell you, if Ryan isn't getting picked because it will mean his salary will go up, he'd justifiably be absolutely furious and agitating for an immediate release.

Dave03

SGI Jersey Flegg
I understand the theory. Everyone is scratching their heads about the continued non-selection. But I tell you, if Ryan isn't getting picked because it will mean his salary will go up, he'd justifiably be absolutely furious and agitating for an immediate release.

I doubt he'd be furious & wanting an immediate release, I'm sure the players are also aware of salary cap workings. If he doesn't get opportunities next year then I can see him wanting to move clubs. I think we just need some patience with Flannos selections.

Dave03

SGI Jersey Flegg
The team trained at Homebush Stadium yesterday, fucked if I know why.
There was a lot of yellow vest so the bye is very timely.

Just a theory but do they play finals at homebush? It might be a tactic to show the boys they could be playing at this ground which means they're playing finals. They've been pretty vocal about wanting to play finals this year & this would be another way to motivate the boys a little bit more.

TheRev

SGI Jersey Flegg
I think the number of games thing is made up, its really just lack of injuries holding Ryan out.. hes been 18th man a few times now.

We are sitting here with just Allan and Marshke out, most clubs have between 4 to 10 players out.. imagine what that looks like in terms of reserve graders being promoted.

Edward

SGI Jersey Flegg
I doubt he'd be furious & wanting an immediate release, I'm sure the players are also aware of salary cap workings. If he doesn't get opportunities next year then I can see him wanting to move clubs. I think we just need some patience with Flannos selections.
Disagree with that. Someone being kept back from first grade based solely on his salary rising if he does while the same coach runs around trying to sign every veteran no other club wants? Does that sound right to you?

It's a good theory. People have no idea but this scenario is one I can't agree with.