Eric

Staff
It is fact. I'm talking about Molo jnr, Gosiewski, Hunt to name 3. My understanding is if they run on the field even for 1 min of a 1st grade game it's counted and I believe they can't play 6 or more. I could be wrong about that number but if they exceed a certain number of appearances then they cannot be selected for NSW Cup same with NSW Cup to Jersey Flegg or because I'm old and suffering from brain fade it may be the other way around.
Molo jnr, Gosiewski, Hunt, Max Feagai, Sloan have been in NSW Cup almost the entire season. No way if they were chosen for a few games of NRL in the remaining weeks they'd be unavailable for NSW Cup finals.

I don't know what the rule is but I know it's more than one or two games in NRL or 4 or 5 games in NRL (regarding Sloan). It would be Woods in particular Burns and Moga who would be in danger of not qualifying for NSW Cup finals.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
If you want my guess, I'd say your mates relative who works at the club really doesn't know and is just repeating what the DT reported. What is your mates relatives position there? A role in which he would have any input into the team and contracts? If so, he has a motive to make excuses for his part in a disaster. If not, he almost certainly wouldn't know. What do you think?
I've known both all my life and have no reason to doubt what he told me. I can put my hand on my heart and tell you that his son is an employee or contracted by the St George RLC. So in the DT was it reported that the Dragons had salary cap issues or has had a freeze put on signing any new players?

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Molo jnr, Gosiewski, Hunt, Max Feagai, Sloan have been in NSW Cup almost the entire season. No way if they were chosen for a few games of NRL in the remaining weeks they'd be unavailable for NSW Cup finals.

I don't know what the rule is but I know it's more than one or two games in NRL or 4 or 5 games in NRL (regarding Sloan). It would be Woods in particular Burns and Moga who would be in danger of not qualifying for NSW Cup finals.
Ok I know that there are restrictions possibly you may have to play a certain number of NSW Cup games to be eligible. If I was wrong I apologise.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
I've known both all my life and have no reason to doubt what he told me. I can put my hand on my heart and tell you that his son is an employee or contracted by the St George RLC. So in the DT was it reported that the Dragons had salary cap issues or has had a freeze put on signing any new players?
I see. Well the DT article (apparently) said (I didn't read it. Only heard them talking about it on NRL 360) the club was in salary cap trouble because of Lomax (on less than 800k a year) and JDB (on less than 700k a year). That is a good deal for JDB. Not for Lomax the way he has played this year but not close to as bad as other clubs have it for their big money players. If any players other than Hunt were on huge money, the media would be all over it.

Eric

Staff
I see. Well the DT article (apparently) said (I didn't read it. Only heard them talking about it on NRL 360) the club was in salary cap trouble because of Lomax (on less than 800k a year) and JDB (on less than 700k a year). That is a good deal for JDB. Not for Lomax the way he has played this year but not close to as bad as other clubs have it for their big money players. If any players other than Hunt were on huge money, the media would be all over it.
700k is a steal for de Belin.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
So is it plausible that if there is a salary cap freeze that would mean that if a player is entitled to be paid a bonus payment under his current contract for being selected for 1st this therefore means the coach then cannot select that player hence the apparently ludicrous team selections?

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Considering that because of COVID-19 this year's salary cap was reduced to 9.4m per club. If we have Hunt on 1.2m, JDB on 700k, Lomax 800k that's 2.7m gone on 3 players. No wonder we are in trouble.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
So is it plausible that if there is a salary cap freeze that would mean that if a player is entitled to be paid a bonus payment under his current contract for being selected for 1st this therefore means the coach then cannot select that player hence the apparently ludicrous team selections?
It's absolutely plausible as far as I know. It's just something I don't buy. I just think it's News LTD making excuses for their man Griffin. As for what your friend told you, I believe you 100%. I'm just questioning who gave him or her the info and who game him or her the info.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
Considering that because of COVID-19 this year's salary cap was reduced to 9.4m per club. If we have Hunt on 1.2m, JDB on 700k, Lomax 800k that's 2.7m gone on 3 players. No wonder we are in trouble.
All players had their salaries reduced by the proportion the cap was reduced.

Look at the players on the books at other teams and the money they are reported to be on and compare them to the Dragons.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
It's absolutely plausible as far as I know. It's just something I don't buy. I just think it's News LTD making excuses for their man Griffin. As for what your friend told you, I believe you 100%. I'm just questioning who gave him or her the info and who game him or her the info.
Well that's your prerogative if I believed everything I was told in my life I'd be looking a bit silly by now. If we are to accept that there is a freeze and the club cannot pay bonuses as per contracts then the coach would have an excuse for these selections. I think there has to be a reason why we are seeing the same team running around even after copping 3 floggings in the last month with no changes.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
All players had their salaries reduced by the proportion the cap was reduced.

Look at the players on the books at other teams and the money they are reported to be on and compare them to the Dragons.
Ok but if it's in the contract that in year 3 you get 800k then that's not the case in this instance because of covid?

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
Well that's your prerogative if I believed everything I was told in my life I'd be looking a bit silly by now. If we are to accept that there is a freeze and the club cannot pay bonuses as per contracts then the coach would have an excuse for these selections. I think there has to be a reason why we are seeing the same team running around even after copping 3 floggings in the last month with no changes.
What your friend told you or what his relative told him or what his or her co-worker told him or her and so-on may be right. I just don't think it is. I don't have any other explanation other than the coach really believes this is the best team he can pick. He wants big, slow guys slogging it up and suffocating the Shonkies attack for 80min while grounding out a win. They did it for 60min against NQ. It stands to reason they can do it for 80min against the Shonkies.

I don't agree with it. I think it was you who said about how NQ simply adapted their game and found another gear when they found themselves getting dragged down to the Dragons level. The Shonkies will do it too though probably not as easily as NQ did.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
Ok but if it's in the contract that in year 3 you get 800k then that's not the case in this instance because of covid?
Talking about contracts, I really don't know. I'm merely looking at the money our players are reported as being on compared to several other clubs. Looking at it that way, no way are the Dragons in salary cap trouble.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
What your friend told you or what his relative told him or what his or her co-worker told him or her and so-on may be right. I just don't think it is. I don't have any other explanation other than the coach really believes this is the best team he can pick. He wants big, slow guys slogging it up and suffocating the Shonkies attack for 80min while grounding out a win. They did it for 60min against NQ. It stands to reason they can do it for 80min against the Shonkies.

I don't agree with it. I think it was you who said about how NQ simply adapted their game and found another fear when they found themselves getting dragged down to the Dragons level. The Shonkies will do it too though probably not as easily as NQ did.
I think this is the best team available to him. Why would he pick Bird at centre otherwise with Feagai capable of playing that position. We are no chance of beating the Sharks with this team. In fact if the players are unavailable because bonuses cannot be paid I would suggest we won't win again until round 23 against the Titans and we will just cling to 11th at the end of the season. Hurts to say this.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
I think this is the best team available to him. Why would he pick Bird at centre otherwise with Feagai capable of playing that position. We are no chance of beating the Sharks with this team. In fact if the players are unavailable because bonuses cannot be paid I would suggest we won't win again until round 23 against the Titans and we will just cling to 11th at the end of the season. Hurts to say this.
I agree with this. Titans game might be tough with this team but at least Ramsey will be back, maybe pushing Mbye to centre and Bird to the forwards.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Talking about contracts, I really don't know. I'm merely looking at the money our players are reported as being on compared to several other clubs. Looking at it that way, no way are the Dragons in salary cap trouble.
I have previously broken down the payments required to the top 30 contracted players. So players 18 -30 minimum base salary $52.5k so 13 x = $682.5k but 18 - 25 would be on better than that plus bonus payments. We already established 3 players of the remaining 17 are on 2.7m, so we have spent minimum 3.4m of the allocated 9.4m. So if we say the remaining 14 are left to divy up the remaining salary cap of 6m evenly that equates to 428k each and that is just not the case. So you can see why we are in salary cap trouble. I think that gives credibility to what I have been told.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
I agree with this. Titans game might be tough with this team but at least Ramsey will be back, maybe pushing Mbye to centre and Bird to the forwards.
Most probably I would have made a change at the very least moving Mbye to centre, Bird back where he belongs in the forwards with a looser fitting jersey and Sloan at fullback just to try something different.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
Most probably I would have made a change at the very least moving Mbye to centre, Bird back where he belongs in the forwards with a looser fitting jersey and Sloan at fullback just to try something different.
This is very important for Bird at present. He looks ridiculous. Like he should be a fast food oook rather than a first grade NRL player.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Relax! Of course I'm not questioning your credibility. I'm questing the info you got from basically the friend of a friend which is the same as News LTD. said and we know they have an ulterior motive to make excuses for this coach.
Just to reinterate it is my friends son.