Round 23 v Gold Coast Titans

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
Almost every week these days there is some 18~20 year-old making a debut. For the teams which are going well and are guaranteed a spot in the 8 or teams no chance of making it, giving some promising young players a turn.

Griffin's development players are a 25 year-old, 28 year-old, and two 24 year-olds...... But it's ok because the team is going so well, only one has been required for more than 1 game the whole season.
It's really hard to understand WTF he is doing. I guess he had visions of a tough, dependable, veteran, no nonsense forward pack with some exciting outside backs but it's just gone hopelessly wrong.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
Titans won't beat us this weekend.
Disagree. Their problem is defence. Dragons might have JDB or Lawrie barge over from close range or Ben Hunt score a solo try on the back of strong runs by JDB and Lawrie from close range but they have speed to burn and can score tries from anywhere on the field.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup

St George Illawarra Dragons vs Gold Coast Titans at Wollongong Stadium, 2.00pm AEDT

St George Illawarra Dragons team:

1. Cody Ramsey
  2. Mathew Feagai
  3. Moses Mbye
  4. Zac Lomax
  5. Tautau Moga
  6. Talatau Amone
  7. Ben Hunt
  8. Jack de Belin
  9. Andrew McCullough
  10. Blake Lawrie
  11. Josh Mcguire
  12. Jaydn Su’A
  13. Jack Bird
  14. Michael Molo
  15. Aaron Woods
  16. Tyrell Fuimaono
  17. Billy Burns

Unchanged team. Has he given up on not being given his marching orders at the end of the season and is now basically telling the club, "I don't care about the present or the future of this team."
Oh boy. One of the comp's best locks cant get a look in for his favored position yet one of our biggest underachievers can. Is Griffin expecting Bird to produce a typical JDB workhorse game. He couldn't walk in Jack's shadow. Griffin refuses to drop him as he is still believes that he is actually a good footy player. At least Bird is out of the centres. Been saying Mbye will do a better job. Is Suli now done for the season.

Last edited:

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
Oh boy. One of the comp's best locks cant get a look in his favored position yet one of our biggest underachievers can. Is Griffin expecting Bird to produce a typical JDB workhorse game. He just refuses to drop him.. still under the misapprehension that he is actually a good footy player. At least Bird is out of the centres. Been saying Mbye is better suited there. Is Suli now done for the season.
I liked his idea or using Bird at dummy half last game. It should have been the case all season. Bird coming off the bench to give Macca a break or being a good utility in the event of an injury. IMO Bird is a good interchange utility. Specially if he trained to play hooker for limited minutes.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
Therein lies the absurdity coaching policy of this man. And guess what folks we are stuck with him for a further season. Oh joy!!
I hope you are wrong. Apparently there are performance clauses in his contract which make any payout for the last year very minimal. He obviously isn't going to be able to activate those clauses.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
.. and betting these guys are no longer kids. They all need to be given DCs for next season instead of keeping them on training wheels. The one good thing tho is we are tying our best juniors to the club with these contracts, ensuring them they have a future here.
I don't know much about Bailey Atrobus. I think he's played in the outside backs and second row. Is he still young enough to play Flegg? Not sure. Been big wraps on Jackson Shereb for a while. He's a big, fast, edge backrower.
Dont tip against it. They walloped the Sea Eagles last week. Someone said that Tanah Boyd has never made the step from juniors to top grade. Well now he has going on his performances the past two games. He gew up in the halves and is back there and unless mistaken he and Brimson look like forming a lethal combo for the future.
I also think GC will win. Boyd had a blinder last week. Would be ironic if a solution to their halfback problem was right under their nose.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Would be ironic if a solution to their halfback problem was right under their nose.
Been saying the same.
M Molo, J Reuben
How are this pair on DCs over Coric and Sherab. Molo is a good player yet he is happy to stay here on a DC salary. Is Reuben a local junior. Impressed in the one game I saw him. But if he is 24 and yet to play Firsts he cant be viewed long term.

Last edited:

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
There is no reason at all Hook couldn't select this team:
  1. Sloan
  2. Ramsey
  3. Feagai
  4. Lomax
  5. Feagai
  6. Amone
  7. Sullivan
  8. Lawrie
  9. Hunt
  10. McGuire
  11. Su'a
  12. Burns
  13. JDB
Interchange:
14. M. Molo
15. F. Molo
16. Bird
17. Mbye

All except Michael Molo in the top 30. If Matt Feagai is injured, I'd pick Rueben in his place. If Reuben's contract says he needs to get a bonus after playing 2 first grade games, pick Moga but that's so ridiculous we can rule it out.
That is my team too.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Took a look at the Titan's last match. I think we can beat them after all. I saw nothing in their attack that betters ours nor their defense. They certainly dont have a tackler the calibre of JDB. Little between their half Tannah Boyd and Ben that I can see while A J Brimson looks to a have more ball in hand skill than Junior at this stage of their careers. The Titan forwards resemble ours for metres gained, making the advantage line and impact post line. Tho I have not seen any stats to confirm this . If there is one stand out for them it is David Fifita .

Last edited:

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Disagree. Their problem is defence. Dragons might have JDB or Lawrie barge over from close range or Ben Hunt score a solo try on the back of strong runs by JDB and Lawrie from close range but they have speed to burn and can score tries from anywhere on the field.
So is ours defence Iean. But traditionally they don't beat us away from home

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Took a look at the Titan's last match. I think we can beat them after all. I saw nothing in their attack that betters ours nor their defense. They certainly dont have a tackler the calibre of JDB. Little between their half Tannah Boyd and Ben that I can see while A J Brimson looks to a have more ball in hand skill than Junior at this stage of their careers. The Titan forwards resemble ours for metres gained, making the advantage line and impact post line. Tho I have not seen any stats to confirm this . If there is one stand out for them it is David Fifita .
Fifita is an ideal example of if your pack is not going forward it doesn't matter who is in your backline

Eric

Staff
Maybe you can't see it but I can assure you, there is a massive difference in their salaries.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
Hunt is a far superior hooker. Not sure about halfback. We might find out this weekend. A win will mean an automatic 3 Dally M points for Hunt which might put him over the line for Dally M player of the year.
Who cares about the performance of the team as long as Hunt gets that Dally M award.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
Do you and others on this forum really believe that our skipper deserves the Dally M? How many matches have we won this year?
He had a few good games early in the season and since has automatically gotten 3 points if the Dragons win. I've been saying ever since round 4 or 5 that IMO Hunt was trying to do too much himself and his lack of delegating is hurting the team. He's gotten better as the season has gone on but IMO the problem has persisted until now.

For example, why does he kick off rather than Lomax? Obviously the coach has told him to do it but why? Lomax is a far better place kicker. I think Lomax might also be a better drop kicker.