Round 3 vs North Queensland Cowboys

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup

St George Illawarra Dragons vs North Queensland Cowboys at Netstrata Jubilee Stadium, 5.30pm AEDT

Last week’s Dragons team: 1. Tyrell Sloan 2. Zac Lomax 3. Moses Suli 4. Jack Bird 5. Mikaele Ravalawa 6. Kyle Flanagan 7. Ben Hunt 8. Francis Molo 9. Jacob Liddle 16. Raymond Faitala-Mariner 11. Tom Eisenhuth 12. Jaydn Su’A 13. Jack de Belin 10. Blake Lawrie 14. Connor Muhleisen 15. Michael Molo 17. Luciano Leilua

Team Tips: Francis Molo has been hit with a one-game ban which will see Ben Murdoch-Masila or Viliami Fifita return to the side. They could both return as Shane Flanagan flagged changes after his side was flogged 38-0 by the Dolphins on Sunday. Hame Sele (hamstring) was a late scratching on the weekend and could return against the Cowboys.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Last week’s Dragons team: 1. Tyrell Sloan 2. Zac Lomax 3. Moses Suli 4. Jack Bird 5. Mikaele Ravalawa 6. Kyle Flanagan 7. Ben Hunt 8. Francis Molo 9. Jacob Liddle 16. Raymond Faitala-Mariner 11. Tom Eisenhuth 12. Jaydn Su’A 13. Jack de Belin 10. Blake Lawrie 14. Connor Muhleisen 15. Michael Molo 17. Luciano Leilua
They should all get the chop.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
In my view a bit harsh on the backline. As I consistently say if your engine room isn't going forwards you can have the Kangaroo backline it won't matter. That's exactly what we saw last week. Bennett identified our weakness and it's not too hard to spot, running 2nd rowers/locks at prop and he used that. End result 38 zip

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
Hunt isn't getting the chop. Didn't have a good game on Sunday but he's hardly alone. There were worse.
  • Bird should no longer be in the centres. Make way for Sione Finau on the wing, Lomax in the centres. I'd have him on the bench.
  • Frank Molo is suspended so Fifta is the obvious replacement.
  • Connor Muhleisen has to go but who is going to take his place?
  • As above for Kyle Flanagan.
  • Leilua needs to get fitter in the NSW Cup. Play 80min in the NSW Cup for a couple of weeks and then take it from there.
  • Mike Molo is serviceable but don't we need more? In my view, I'd have Toby Couchman and Sele come in for Eisenhuth and Leilua. That and Finau is easy.
  • No idea what to do about Connor Muhleisen and Kyle Flanagan. I guess they get another chance due to lack of options.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
Hunt isn't getting the chop. Didn't have a good game on Sunday but he's hardly alone. There were worse.
  • Bird should no longer be in the centres. Make way for Sione Finau on the wing, Lomax in the centres. I'd have him on the bench.
  • Frank Molo is suspended so Fifta is the obvious replacement.
  • Connor Muhleisen has to go but who is going to take his place?
  • As above for Kyle Flanagan.
  • Leilua needs to get fitter in the NSW Cup. Play 80min in the NSW Cup for a couple of weeks and then take it from there.
  • Mike Molo is serviceable but don't we need more? In my view, I'd have Toby Couchman and Sele come in for Eisenhuth and Leilua. That and Finau is easy.
  • No idea what to do about Connor Muhleisen and Kyle Flanagan. I guess they get another chance due to lack of options.
And Ryan Couchman for M. Molo.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
Has Liddle been dropped? Poor guy keeps getting scapegoated. I think he was ok. Couchmans just can't get a look in. Giffin mark 2.
Must be injured. Not even in the extended squad.

Dragons team:​

1. Tyrell Sloan
  2. Zac Lomax
  3. Moses Suli
  4. Jack Bird
  5. Mikaele Ravalawa
  6. Kyle Flanagan
  7. Ben Hunt
  8. Jack de Belin
  9. Jesse Marschke
  10. Blake Lawrie
  11. Luciano Leilua
  12. Jaydn Su’A
  13. Tom Eisenhuth
  14. Connor Muhleisen
  15. Michael Molo
  16. Raymond Faitala-Mariner
  17. Viliami Fifita

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Two changes because of suspension and injury
Jesse to debut at 9
Vili back in
What is your opinion of Vili? I watched him live in the Titans game and was impressed by his communication especially on our tryline in the 1st half. He didn't shirk his defensive responsibilities making 10 tackles didnt miss one that I recall. I know he didn't get too many minutes but 4 hit ups for 47m was promising to my eye, he moved well laterally. He's a fair size height wise about 6' 4 in the old measurements, off season weights sessions will help him develop his physique. Obviously short stints, 10 - 15 mins in both halves will be the goal considering the fatigue factor playing 1st grade. Barring injuries I see him as a viable prop forward moving into next season and beyond. Your thoughts?

Just a Mug Fan

SGI Jersey Flegg
What is your opinion of Vili? I watched him live in the Titans game and was impressed by his communication especially on our tryline in the 1st half. He didn't shirk his defensive responsibilities making 10 tackles didnt miss one that I recall. I know he didn't get too many minutes but 4 hit ups for 47m was promising to my eye, he moved well laterally. He's a fair size height wise about 6' 4 in the old measurements, off season weights sessions will help him develop his physique. Obviously short stints, 10 - 15 mins in both halves will be the goal considering the fatigue factor playing 1st grade. Barring injuries I see him as a viable prop forward moving into next season and beyond. Your thoughts?
I've got no idea about his stats, i just watch the games
Vili handled himself well. He has size which is an advantage but he is also a very skillful player. Soft hands, good offload, but that will take a few years to transpire in FG.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Must be injured. Not even in the extended squad.

Dragons team:​

1. Tyrell Sloan
  2. Zac Lomax
  3. Moses Suli
  4. Jack Bird
  5. Mikaele Ravalawa
  6. Kyle Flanagan
  7. Ben Hunt
  8. Jack de Belin
  9. Jesse Marschke
  10. Blake Lawrie
  11. Luciano Leilua
  12. Jaydn Su’A
  13. Tom Eisenhuth
  14. Connor Muhleisen
  15. Michael Molo
  16. Raymond Faitala-Mariner
  17. Viliami Fifita
We do ourselves no favours starting JDB at prop. Leilua wont be fit enough to play more than 25 min each half. Ive been impressed with Marschke, has speed off the mark ball playing 5/8 obviously offers more in attack from dummy half than Muhleisen, dont know his defensive prowess. I understand the coaches thinking in relation to Lomax on the wing bringing back the kick 1st up but Im not sold on Bird in the centres but our premiership winning coach is at the moment. I would like to see the big ex Manly winger, Tuipulotu get a run in the near future, his return the ball and running stats are very good once he goes through his gears avg 127m per game, and Lomax revert back to the centres Just my views.

Last edited:

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Ultra conservatism continues. Our promising juniors aren't ready for regular first grade until their mid 20s. Usually at another club because our coaches prefer underperforming veteran journeymen.
They are both resigned until the end of the 25 season, only 20 yrs old. Yes they have fallen down the pecking order but you need to nurture them and continue to upskill them. I'd say we may see 1 or both later in the season or 2025.

Edward

SGI Jersey Flegg
If they are good enough, they are old enough. Just my views.
I haven't seen anything to suggest they aren't already among the best forwards at the club. They run hard, make metres, don't fall off tackles. I think they can offload as well.

I think it was last year. Cowboys young forwards and fast backs made our veterans look old and slow.