Round 6 v Newcastle Knights

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
The cards have fallen in the right places for Amone and Sloan to come back against a severely weakened opposition. Hook also eluded to some players playing well in the NSW Cup.

St George Illawarra Dragons vs Newcastle Knights

Last week’s Dragons team: 1. Moses Mbye 2. Mathew Feagai 3. Moses Suli 4. Zac Lomax 5. Mikaele Ravalawa 6. Jack Bird 7. Ben Hunt 8. Francis Molo 9. Andrew McCullough 10. Aaron Woods 11. Tariq Sims 12. Jaydn Su’A 13. Jack de Belin 14. Talatau Amone 15. Josh Kerr 16. Blake Lawrie 17. Jackson Ford

Team Tips: Anthony Griffin’s fortnight of experimenting with his spine should end this week following losses to the Eels and Rabbitohs. Fullback Tyrell Sloan and five-eighth Talatau Amone should come back into the starting lineup against Newcastle. “We will have a look at it, but for Tyrell it is a development for him. We had a couple play pretty well in the twos today so we will have a look,” Griffin said. Josh McGuire (suspension) and Tyrell Fuimaono (suspension) are available but if the starting side reshuffles there might not be room for both.

Last week’s Knights team: 1. Kalyn Ponga 2. Dominic Young 3. Dane Gagai 4. Bradman Best 5. Enari Tuala 6. Jake Clifford 7. Adam Clune 8. Jacob Saifiti 9. Chris Randall 10. Daniel Saifiti 11. Tyson Frizell 12. Brodie Jones 13. Kurt Mann 14. Phoenix Crossland 15. Sauaso Sue 16. Leo Thompson 17. Jirah Momoisea

Team Tips: Former Origin winger Edrick Lee could play his first game in 18 months to help cover a $3 million injury crisis. The Knights casualty ward has ballooned to nine players with Adam Clune in doubt to face the Dragons. Clune injured his knee against the Sea Eagles last week but the halfback will delay surgery and attempt play through the pain. Phoenix Crossland will partner Jake Clifford if Clune is ruled out. Adding to the Knights woes is an anticipated extended stint on the sideline for winger Dominic Young (knee) and Jirah Momoisea (elbow). The duo are awaiting scan results and could be out for at least a month.

Young’s omission against the Dragons will catapult Lee into the frame for his first game since October, 2020. Tyson Frizell (ankle) could be unavailable alongside Jayden Brailey (Achilles), David Klemmer (knee), Lachlan Fitzgibbon (knee), Mitch Barnett (suspension) and Bailey Hodgson (elbow).

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
The cards have fallen in the right places for Amone and Sloan to come back against a severely weakened opposition. Hook also eluded to some players playing well in the NSW Cup.

Last week’s Dragons team: 1. Moses Mbye 2. Mathew Feagai 3. Moses Suli 4. Zac Lomax 5. Mikaele Ravalawa 6. Jack Bird 7. Ben Hunt 8. Francis Molo 9. Andrew McCullough 10. Aaron Woods 11. Tariq Sims 12. Jaydn Su’A 13. Jack de Belin 14. Talatau Amone 15. Josh Kerr 16. Blake Lawrie 17. Jackson Ford

Team Tips: Anthony Griffin’s fortnight of experimenting with his spine should end this week following losses to the Eels and Rabbitohs. Fullback Tyrell Sloan and five-eighth Talatau Amone should come back into the starting lineup against Newcastle. “We will have a look at it, but for Tyrell it is a development for him. We had a couple play pretty well in the twos today so we will have a look,” Griffin said. Josh McGuire (suspension) and Tyrell Fuimaono (suspension) are available but if the starting side reshuffles there might not be room for both.

Last week’s Knights team: 1. Kalyn Ponga 2. Dominic Young 3. Dane Gagai 4. Bradman Best 5. Enari Tuala 6. Jake Clifford 7. Adam Clune 8. Jacob Saifiti 9. Chris Randall 10. Daniel Saifiti 11. Tyson Frizell 12. Brodie Jones 13. Kurt Mann 14. Phoenix Crossland 15. Sauaso Sue 16. Leo Thompson 17. Jirah Momoisea

Team Tips: Former Origin winger Edrick Lee could play his first game in 18 months to help cover a $3 million injury crisis. The Knights casualty ward has ballooned to nine players with Adam Clune in doubt to face the Dragons. Clune injured his knee against the Sea Eagles last week but the halfback will delay surgery and attempt play through the pain. Phoenix Crossland will partner Jake Clifford if Clune is ruled out. Adding to the Knights woes is an anticipated extended stint on the sideline for winger Dominic Young (knee) and Jirah Momoisea (elbow). The duo are awaiting scan results and could be out for at least a month.

Young’s omission against the Dragons will catapult Lee into the frame for his first game since October, 2020. Tyson Frizell (ankle) could be unavailable alongside Jayden Brailey (Achilles), David Klemmer (knee), Lachlan Fitzgibbon (knee), Mitch Barnett (suspension) and Bailey Hodgson (elbow).
Nice timing. Something is going our way. But if Newcastle still win, it'll be panic mode.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup

I'm just interested in seeing who is promoted and dropped.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
This was just written on the Sporting News website :
Tyrell Sloan
The exciting prospect had to cool his heels in reserve grade for the second-straight week, as coach Anthony Griffin again preferred Moses Mbye at fullback.
Speaking after the loss to South Sydney, Griffin said Tyrell Sloan’s development was better served in reserve grade for the time being. However, if the Dragons continue to struggle and Sloan keeps on improving it won’t be long before he’s back in the NRL. It was Sloan’s try-saver in the shadows of half-time that ultimately won his team the game 30-26. While he also showcased his attacking flair by setting up team-mate Alexander Lobb to get over the stripe. Sounds like he is taking his medicine and could be back sooner rather than later fingers crossed

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
This was just written on the Sporting News website :
Tyrell Sloan
The exciting prospect had to cool his heels in reserve grade for the second-straight week, as coach Anthony Griffin again preferred Moses Mbye at fullback.
Speaking after the loss to South Sydney, Griffin said Tyrell Sloan’s development was better served in reserve grade for the time being. However, if the Dragons continue to struggle and Sloan keeps on improving it won’t be long before he’s back in the NRL. It was Sloan’s try-saver in the shadows of half-time that ultimately won his team the game 30-26. While he also showcased his attacking flair by setting up team-mate Alexander Lobb to get over the stripe. Sounds like he is taking his medicine and could be back sooner rather than later fingers crossed
Sounds promising but please, pretty f*cking please, no more Mbye at fullback!

Eric

Staff
I agree he was purchased expressly to be used as a utility player off the bench but because of poor form and injuries was elevated
Sounds promising but please, pretty ****ing please, no more Mbye at fullback!
Personally I'm not against dropping Sloan and Amone. They are only 19. If dropping them now is going to help in the long run, it's fine but I can barely comprehend the Griffin dropping them when Ramsey and Sullivan are out. Very strange decision.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Personally I'm not against dropping Sloan and Amone. They are only 19. If dropping them now is going to help in the long run, it's fine but I can barely comprehend the Griffin dropping them when Ramsey and Sullivan are out. Very strange decision.
The coach is in the best position to know how to ensure our young stars reach their potential. In my view it would not be out of this world later this season to see a new spine if the year is again gone. That spine for me would be Sloan, Amone, Hunt and id give young Muhleisen a chance if he proved himself in the 2nd's at hooker. Whether that eventuates or not as the season unfolds time will tell. I would even be open in having McCullough starting to utilise his tackling skills then replacing him with Muhleisen. I don't believe moving Hunt to hooker would help us.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
The coach is in the best position to know how to ensure our young stars reach their potential. In my view it would not be out of this world later this season to see a new spine if the year is again gone. That spine for me would be Sloan, Amone, Hunt and id give young Muhleisen a chance if he proved himself in the 2nd's at hooker. Whether that eventuates or not as the season unfolds time will tell. I would even be open in having McCullough starting to utilise his tackling skills then replacing him with Muhleisen. I don't believe moving Hunt to hooker would help us.
Hunt would be a better hooker than McCullough these days but definitely better for the team to have him at halfback.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
Muhleisen will be available from round 10 so I agree the coach needs to make it happen from then. Until then, I guess we are stuck with slow as wet week Macca.

Eric

Staff
I like that idea. There is still the problem of Amone's running game disappearing. Before the season, I was slightly concerned he was too much of a running 5/8 and the outside backs would be starved of the ball. So much for that. But we know he has an excellent running game from last year so....... I don't know what's going on. I know you say he playing to the directions of the coach but why would the coach deny him the best part of his game?

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
I like that idea. There is still the problem of Amone's running game disappearing. Before the season, I was slightly concerned he was too much of a running 5/8 and the outside backs would be starved of the ball. So much for that. But we know he has an excellent running game from last year so....... I don't know what's going on. I know you say he playing to the directions of the coach but why would the coach deny him the best part of his game?
I believe that he is trying to develop his passing and defensive game. We all know he can run and step but you can't be a one trick pony in 1sts you will get found out quickly. Just my observations

Eric

Staff
I believe that he is trying to develop his passing and defensive game. We all know he can run and step but you can't be a one trick pony in 1sts you will get found out quickly. Just my observations
Makes sense but don't you think he has taken it to extreme levels? Before he was demoted, by around the 60min mark his jersey looked like it hadn't seen the ground all night.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Makes sense but don't you think he has taken it to extreme levels? Before he was demoted, by around the 60min mark his jersey looked like it hadn't seen the ground all night.
As I said before players don't just lose their mojo overnight. My view would be that the coach told him he needed development in those two areas I mentioned and that he was playing to the coaches instructions. The kid found it hard to do based purely upon the fact that he was not a linkage 5/8 he was a runner and stepper. He was playing what was in front of him most of his playing career. So to be told if he wanted to play 1sts for the Dragons he obviously has tried to play as directed and this hasn't come easy to him just my views.

Eric

Staff
As I said before players don't just lose their mojo overnight. My view would be that the coach told him he needed development in those two areas I mentioned and that he was playing to the coaches instructions. The kid found it hard to do based purely upon the fact that he was not a linkage 5/8 he was a runner and stepper. He was playing what was in front of him most of his playing career. So to be told if he wanted to play 1sts for the Dragons he obviously has tried to play as directed and this hasn't come easy to him just my views.
Interesting. I guess that makes sense. Still, I hope now the coach has made it clear that even though he wants him to concentrate on his passing game and setting guys on on the outside, it's ok to take on the defence a few times a game.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Interesting. I guess that makes sense. Still, I hope now the coach has made it clear that even though he wants him to concentrate on his passing game and setting guys on on the outside, it's ok to take on the defence a few times a game.
That should come naturally you don't lose those skills development of young stars can be difficult because the coaches identify strengths and weaknesses in every player. Its very easy to play to your strengths its not so easy to develop other skills such as passing and tackling when your strengths have got you to where you are. A team is not made up of 1 star its made up of 17 toilers working for each other. Obviously the more talented players you have the better but in saying that they need to work their strengths and talents with each other for any teams sake.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
That should come naturally you don't lose those skills development of young stars can be difficult because the coaches identify strengths and weaknesses in every player. Its very easy to play to your strengths its not so easy to develop other skills such as passing and tackling when your strengths have got you to where you are. A team is not made up of 1 star its made up of 17 toilers working for each other. Obviously the more talented players you have the better but in saying that they need to work their strengths and talents with each other for any teams sake.
I just think, maybe because of your coaching history, you have an unconscious bias for the coach.
  1. To develop a team for the future shouldn't mean abject failure in the present.
  2. To tell Amone to work on his passing or game management or defence or whatever shouldn't mean neglecting the parts of his game he already excels in. i.e. His running game.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
He's done it again. Everyone will be saying until kick off, "he'll change the team before kick off" but he didn't last week.

St George Illawarra Dragons

1. Moses Mbye
  2. Mathew Feagai
  3. Moses Suli
  4. Zac Lomax
  5. Mikaele Ravalawa
  6. Jack Bird
  7. Ben Hunt
  8. Francis Molo
  9. Andrew McCullough
  10. Josh Kerr
  11. Tariq Sims
  12. Jaydn Su’A
  13. Jack de Belin
  14. Talatau Amone
  15. Blake Lawrie
  16. Josh Mcguire
  17. George Burgess
  18. Tautau Moga
  19. Jackson Ford
  20. Aaron Woods
  21. Tyrell Sloan
  22. Jack Gosiewski
  23. Tyrell Fuimaono
  24. Jayden Sullivan
And looking at the Newcastle side, it looks full strength apart from Braily who is out most of the season.

Last edited:

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
He's done it again. Everyone will be saying until kick off, "he'll change the team before kick off" but he didn't last week.

St George Illawarra Dragons

1. Moses Mbye
  2. Mathew Feagai
  3. Moses Suli
  4. Zac Lomax
  5. Mikaele Ravalawa
  6. Jack Bird
  7. Ben Hunt
  8. Francis Molo
  9. Andrew McCullough
  10. Josh Kerr
  11. Tariq Sims
  12. Jaydn Su’A
  13. Jack de Belin
  14. Talatau Amone
  15. Blake Lawrie
  16. Josh Mcguire
  17. George Burgess
  18. Tautau Moga
  19. Jackson Ford
  20. Aaron Woods
  21. Tyrell Sloan
  22. Jack Gosiewski
  23. Tyrell Fuimaono
  24. Jayden Sullivan
Josh Kerr promoted. Does he have some compromising material on the coach? Was Aaron Woods so bad last week?