Round 6 v Newcastle Knights

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
There is also something to be said for the greatest defence not being much use if the team can't score tries.
I disagree competitions are won on defensive efforts attack obviously is important but my point is that our last competition win in 2010 we were 1st ranked in defence 7th ranked in attack. It's easier to chase down 10 or 12 points a game than 20 points a game. Just speaking from my own experiences

Eric

Staff
There is also something to be said for the greatest defence not being much use if the team can't score tries.
I disagree although our defence was no.1 our attack believe this or not was ranked 7th and in fact 6th out of the top 8. We had issues scoring but because of our defence we were able to win more than lose.
So there:ROFLMAO:
Let's agree our attack and defence should be a lot better at present.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
I disagree competitions are won on defensive efforts attack obviously is important but my point is that our last competition win in 2010 we were 1st ranked in defence 7th ranked in attack. It's easier to chase down 10 or 12 points a game than 20 points a game. Just speaking from my own experiences
There's quite a big difference between 7th in the competition and, 'not able to score tries', isn't there?

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup

St George Illawarra Dragons v Newcastle Knights​

Sunday 17th April 2022, 3:05PM​

Updated team lists:
  1. Moses Mbye
  2. Mathew Feagai
  3. Moses Suli
  4. Zac Lomax
  5. Mikaele Ravalawa
  6. Jack Bird
  7. Ben Hunt
  8. Francis Molo
  9. Andrew McCullough
  10. Josh Kerr
  11. Tariq Sims
  12. Jaydn Su’A
  13. Jack de Belin
  14. Talatau Amone
  15. Blake Lawrie
  16. Josh Mcguire
  17. George Burgess
  18. Tautau Moga
  19. Jackson Ford

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup

Updated team lists:
  1. Moses Mbye
  2. Mathew Feagai
  3. Moses Suli
  4. Zac Lomax
  5. Mikaele Ravalawa
  6. Jack Bird
  7. Ben Hunt
  8. Francis Molo
  9. Andrew McCullough
  10. Josh Kerr
  11. Tariq Sims
  12. Jaydn Su’A
  13. Jack de Belin
  14. Talatau Amone
  15. Blake Lawrie
  16. Josh Mcguire
  17. George Burgess
  18. Tautau Moga
  19. Jackson Ford
If there is one thing we can praise Hook for, it's that unlike other teams he very rarely changes the lineup after the official team announcement.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup

Updated team lists:
  1. Moses Mbye
  2. Mathew Feagai
  3. Moses Suli
  4. Zac Lomax
  5. Mikaele Ravalawa
  6. Jack Bird
  7. Ben Hunt
  8. Francis Molo
  9. Andrew McCullough
  10. Josh Kerr
  11. Tariq Sims
  12. Jaydn Su’A
  13. Jack de Belin
  14. Talatau Amone
  15. Blake Lawrie
  16. Josh Mcguire
  17. George Burgess
  18. Tautau Moga
  19. Jackson Ford
God help St George Illawarra.....

Eric

Staff

Updated team lists:
  1. Moses Mbye
  2. Mathew Feagai
  3. Moses Suli
  4. Zac Lomax
  5. Mikaele Ravalawa
  6. Jack Bird
  7. Ben Hunt
  8. Francis Molo
  9. Andrew McCullough
  10. Josh Kerr
  11. Tariq Sims
  12. Jaydn Su’A
  13. Jack de Belin
  14. Talatau Amone
  15. Blake Lawrie
  16. Josh Mcguire
  17. George Burgess
  18. Tautau Moga
  19. Jackson Ford
I'd like to wish Anthony Griffin all the best in his new field of work after he's sacked this week.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
I was just wondering, who is the backup goal kicker? I know last year it was Corey Norman.

Eric

Staff

Zac Lomax has been slammed for a “shocking show of disrespect” on former St George Illawarra teammate Tyson Frizell​

Zac Lomax might have got the Dragons home with a late field goal in the much needed win over Newcastle. But it was his shocking show of disrespect towards former teammate Tyson Frizell during a post try celebration that did Lomax’s reputation no favours. There was a time when Lomax was considered the NRL’s next big thing. It’s no wonder his name seems to have dropped off the radar in the talk about a potential replacement for Latrell Mitchell in the NSW team.

It was a stupid thing to do. I don't think there was any malice, just stupidity. Zac seems to have gone downhill fast since his split with Jessica Sergis. But really, this amount of criticism for stupidity is uncalled for.

And good luck to Tyson. Apparently he left us for Newcastle not because they were offering more money but because they were closer to a premiership......

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
Well, it wasn't enough to propel the Dragons into premiership favourites but a win is a win. The Newcastle pack is actually quite strong. Two Saifiti's, Klemmer, Frizzel. But the Dragons pack definately got the better of them. Best took Lomax to school and Ponga had a good game as well. When you think about it, it was a good win. If I were a Newcastle supporter, I'd be very upset with their coach.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup

Zac Lomax has been slammed for a “shocking show of disrespect” on former St George Illawarra teammate Tyson Frizell​

Zac Lomax might have got the Dragons home with a late field goal in the much needed win over Newcastle. But it was his shocking show of disrespect towards former teammate Tyson Frizell during a post try celebration that did Lomax’s reputation no favours. There was a time when Lomax was considered the NRL’s next big thing. It’s no wonder his name seems to have dropped off the radar in the talk about a potential replacement for Latrell Mitchell in the NSW team.

It was a stupid thing to do. I don't think there was any malice, just stupidity. Zac seems to have gone downhill fast since his split with Jessica Sergis. But really, this amount of criticism for stupidity is uncalled for.

And good luck to Tyson. Apparently he left us for Newcastle not because they were offering more money but because they were closer to a premiership......
*cough, cough. Clears one's throat.
Apparently he left for a little more money but also because he was furious with the front office for not making a more forceful stand against the NRL in favour of his good friend Jack de Belin.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
Well, it wasn't enough to propel the Dragons into premiership favourites but a win is a win. The Newcastle pack is actually quite strong. Two Saifiti's, Klemmer, Frizzel. But the Dragons pack definately got the better of them. Best took Lomax to school and Ponga had a good game as well. When you think about it, it was a good win. If I were a Newcastle supporter, I'd be very upset with their coach.
Actually, they have a pretty good team. Probably should be going better than St George Illawarra.
*cough, cough. Clears one's throat.
Apparently he left for a little more money but also because he was furious with the front office for not making a more forceful stand against the NRL in favour of his good friend Jack de Belin.
I heard it's not so simple as that. Yes, he was upset but his wife was also very upset with de Belin as she is good friends with de Belin's partner.

Eric

Staff
Play ratings from 1 (lowest), to 10
  1. Moses Mbye 5 Workman like. No mistakes but no threat in attack.
  2. Mathew Feagai 8 just getting better and better
  3. Moses Suli 9 best player on the field up against a very highly regarded opposite number
  4. Zac Lomax 5 because I'm being kind
  5. Mikaele Ravalawa 6 overshadowed by Feagai
  6. Jack Bird 7 pretty good
  7. Ben Hunt 8 second best player on the field
  8. Francis Molo 6 quietish
  9. Andrew McCullough 6 scored a good try
  10. Josh Kerr 5 I remember seeing him make a few runs
  11. Tariq Sims 6 Quietish
  12. Jaydn Su’A 8 excellent
  13. Jack de Belin 8 excellent
  14. Talatau Amone 7 Good when he came on
  15. Blake Lawrie 7 Much better starting him on the bench
  16. Josh Mcguire 8 Should be in the starting team in place of Kerr this week.
  17. George Burgess 6 Quietish

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
  1. Moses Mbye 4
  2. Mathew Feagai 8
  3. Moses Suli 9
  4. Zac Lomax 4
  5. Mikaele Ravalawa 6
  6. Jack Bird 7
  7. Ben Hunt 8
  8. Francis Molo 6
  9. Andrew McCullough 6
  10. Josh Kerr 5
  11. Tariq Sims 6
  12. Jaydn Su’A 8
  13. Jack de Belin 8
  14. Talatau Amone 6
  15. Blake Lawrie 7
  16. Josh Mcguire 8
  17. George Burgess 6

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
Play ratings from 1 (lowest), to 10
  1. Moses Mbye 5 Workman like. No mistakes but no threat in attack.
  2. Mathew Feagai 8 just getting better and better
  3. Moses Suli 9 best player on the field up against a very highly regarded opposite number
  4. Zac Lomax 5 because I'm being kind
  5. Mikaele Ravalawa 6 overshadowed by Feagai
  6. Jack Bird 7 pretty good
  7. Ben Hunt 8 second best player on the field
  8. Francis Molo 6 quietish
  9. Andrew McCullough 6 scored a good try
  10. Josh Kerr 5 I remember seeing him make a few runs
  11. Tariq Sims 6 Quietish
  12. Jaydn Su’A 8 excellent
  13. Jack de Belin 8 excellent
  14. Talatau Amone 7 Good when he came on
  15. Blake Lawrie 7 Much better starting him on the bench
  16. Josh Mcguire 8 Should be in the starting team in place of Kerr this week.
  17. George Burgess 6 Quietish
Too kind. The first half was a nightmare.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
  1. Moses Mbye 4
  2. Mathew Feagai 7
  3. Moses Suli 8
  4. Zac Lomax 4
  5. Mikaele Ravalawa 5
  6. Jack Bird 5
  7. Ben Hunt 7
  8. Francis Molo 5
  9. Andrew McCullough 5
  10. Josh Kerr 4