Round 6 v Newcastle Knights

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
I don't think Bird is a coach favourite. McCullough and McGuire definitely are. Seems Josh Kerr as well. As far as I know, Bird has been told to fly away next season. Last Friday was the deadline to re-sign.

As far as I can see, Bird starting off the bench is a no-brainer. Not sure I'd have Mbye in the 17.
I'm not so sure about Bird. It was Griffin who signed him, wasn't it? He's been given a deadline twice now and still no word on the contract offer being pulled. I'm concerned that Griffin and his staff are too proud to admit to making mistakes.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup

St George Illawarra Dragons

1. Moses Mbye (WTF was this guy even signed for? Starting him at fullback is just absurd.)
  2. Mathew Feagai (of course. He and when he's back, his brother can't be kept out of first grade any longer. Does Griffin hate our local juniors?)
  3. Moses Suli (of course but might have to make way for Max Feagai in a few weeks.)
  4. Zac Lomax (of course. No more no look passes when not needed.)
  5. Mikaele Ravalawa (Of course.)
  6. Jack Bird (no, no, no!!!)
  7. Ben Hunt (Of course)
  8. Francis Molo (Of course)
  9. Andrew McCullough (well, we are stuck with him until round 10 and he is on the books for next year too! Even after round 10, Griffin won't pick our local junior ahead of his old favourite.)
  10. Josh Kerr (Why not give him one last chance in still another position? I think the coach can't comprehend how someone that big, that mobile with good stamina is so useless!)
  11. Tariq Sims (Of course. Thank god the coach isn't so pigheaded as to continue to choose him at lock.)
  12. Jaydn Su’A (Of course)
  13. Jack de Belin (Of course. Thank god the coach isn't so pigheaded as to continue to start him on the bench.)
  14. Talatau Amone (Yes, he was poor in the first few games but even his poor games are better than Bird at 5/8. Don't drop a player unless someone better is ready to replace him.)
  15. Blake Lawrie (Finally starting on the bench, as I think everyone on this forum has been screaming for since round 1 or earlier.)
  16. Josh Mcguire (Another old favourite of the coach. In this case, probably deserves to start on the bench.)
  17. George Burgess (Yep. Give him a chance.)
  18. Tautau Moga (NSW Cup)
  19. Jackson Ford (Unlucky. Better than Kerr last week.)
  20. Aaron Woods (I don't know why he got dropped. Must be something the general public isn't privy to. Don't drop a player unless someone better is ready to replace him.)
  21. Tyrell Sloan (He had one bad game so the coach is using a Tigers utility reject at fullback. Inspired coaching!)
  22. Jack Gosiewski (Jodragon won't like this. Must be putting pressure on Kerr and McGuire.)
  23. Tyrell Fuimaono (as above minus jodragon not liking it.)
  24. Jayden Sullivan (If Amone is on the outer, Sullivan should be 5/8!!! Not rocket science.)

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Interesting. I do agree with most of the extensive review of Griffin team selection. Mbye was purchased exclusively as a bench player to fill in case of injuries, in my view after listening to the coach he is at fullback because he is a better organiser of the defensive line due to his experience than Sloan and until Sloan is up to speed barring injuries don't expect him back before SOO time unfortunately. Bird well there is no doubt in my mind he is playing below his best and we all know why, I'd like to add in the off season he would have been told he would not be playing centre this year and to put weight on and bulk up so he did. Now he is being used in a position that he would not have exclusively trained for and to the trained eye you can see his is struggling, its extremely difficult for any player to go from centre to backrow to 5/8 and we can all see this in his play furthermore he would be aware of that. The coach is steadfast in his belief both Sloan and Amone are not ready for the rigorous weekly game in 1sts and as coach thats his prerogative and will be open to criticism especially from the media and supporters. I believe that the make-up of the team will eventually change but if this happens it won't be before Round 12- 14. We just have to be patient as supporters I'm travelling down for my wedding anniversary to watch the Anzac Day clash then off to Melbourne to watch them against the Storm and of course watch them play the Titans during magic round in nearby Brisbane so hoping to see improvements. I believe by Round 14 we could be sitting in and around 8th on the table time will tell.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup

1. Moses Mbye (WTF was this guy even signed for? Starting him at fullback is just absurd.)
  2. Mathew Feagai (of course. He and when he's back, his brother can't be kept out of first grade any longer. Does Griffin hate our local juniors?)
  3. Moses Suli (of course but might have to make way for Max Feagai in a few weeks.)
  7. Ben Hunt (Of course)
  9. Andrew McCullough (well, we are stuck with him until round 10 and he is on the books for next year too! Even after round 10, Griffin won't pick our local junior ahead of his old favourite.)
  10. Josh Kerr (Why not give him one last chance in still another position? I think the coach can't comprehend how someone that big, that mobile with good stamina is so useless!)
  11. Tariq Sims (Of course. Thank god the coach isn't so pigheaded as to continue to choose him at lock.)
  13. Jack de Belin (Of course. Thank god the coach isn't so pigheaded as to continue to start him on the bench.)
  14. Talatau Amone (Yes, he was poor in the first few games but even his poor games are better than Bird at 5/8. Don't drop a player unless someone better is ready to replace him.)
  15. Blake Lawrie (Finally starting on the bench, as I think everyone on this forum has been screaming for since round 1 or earlier.)
  16. Josh Mcguire (Another old favourite of the coach. In this case, probably deserves to start on the bench.)
  20. Aaron Woods (I don't know why he got dropped. Must be something the general public isn't privy to. Don't drop a player unless someone better is ready to replace him.)
  21. Tyrell Sloan (He had one bad game so the coach is using a Tigers utility reject at fullback. Inspired coaching!)
  22. Jack Gosiewski (Jodragon won't like this. Must be putting pressure on Kerr and McGuire.)
  24. Jayden Sullivan (If Amone is on the outer, Sullivan should be 5/8!!! Not rocket science.)
I could almost feel sorry for Mbye. I don't think he expected he'd be first choice fullback.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
I could almost feel sorry for Mbye. I don't think he expected he'd be first choice fullback.
He would have trained during the off season as a shadow player for the positions of hooker centre halves wings and fullback now that's a lot of positions.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
Interesting. I do agree with most of the extensive review of Griffin team selection. Mbye was purchased exclusively as a bench player to fill in case of injuries, in my view after listening to the coach he is at fullback because he is a better organiser of the defensive line due to his experience than Sloan and until Sloan is up to speed barring injuries don't expect him back before SOO time unfortunately. Bird well there is no doubt in my mind he is playing below his best and we all know why, I'd like to add in the off season he would have been told he would not be playing centre this year and to put weight on and bulk up so he did. Now he is being used in a position that he would not have exclusively trained for and to the trained eye you can see his is struggling, its extremely difficult for any player to go from centre to backrow to 5/8 and we can all see this in his play furthermore he would be aware of that. The coach is steadfast in his belief both Sloan and Amone are not ready for the rigorous weekly game in 1sts and as coach thats his prerogative and will be open to criticism especially from the media and supporters. I believe that the make-up of the team will eventually change but if this happens it won't be before Round 12- 14. We just have to be patient as supporters I'm travelling down for my wedding anniversary to watch the Anzac Day clash then off to Melbourne to watch them against the Storm and of course watch them play the Titans during magic round in nearby Brisbane so hoping to see improvements. I believe by Round 14 we could be sitting in and around 8th on the table time will tell.
It's a solid theory, that of Mbye's defensive organisation from the back but so far it has proved false in practice.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
He would have trained during the off season as a shadow player for the positions of hooker centre halves wings and fullback now that's a lot of positions.
Not so sure. The coach made a noise all off season about fullback being competition between Ramsey and Sloan.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
Unfortunately by that time the only thing left will be to avoid the spoon.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
It's a solid theory, that of Mbye's defensive organisation from the back but so far it has proved false in practice.
This is just my view watching the game on TV gives you a false read of the game. You have to be there live. I analyse games and enjoy watching games live. The fullback organises the defensive line but he DOES NOT miss the tackles. You can't blame the fullback for players missing tackles in the defensive line that is a genuine misunderstanding that most supporters make. The defensive line has been good the problem is the missed tackles

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
This is just my view watching the game on TV gives you a false read of the game. You have to be there live. I analyse games and enjoy watching games live. The fullback organises the defensive line but he DOES NOT miss the tackles. You can't blame the fullback for players missing tackles in the defensive line that is a genuine misunderstanding that most supporters make. The defensive line has been good the problem is the missed tackles
And it was the same with Sloan at the back?

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
And it was the same with Sloan at the back?
There is also something to be said for the greatest defence not being much use if the team can't score tries.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
There is also something to be said for the greatest defence not being much use if the team can't score tries.
Well we will agree to disagree on this point I watched our 2008 team developing under Bennett I was fortunate enough to be at that 2010 GF . We won that GF because the previous 2 yrs Bennett instilled a defensive mindset, defensive line speed , very few unforced turnovers or missed tackles. The attack developed from that. That is what we need now more than ever a return to those basic fundamentals. The rest will come. My old mentor told me you can have the best attacking team in the comp, you can score 30 points a game but if the other team scores 31 you lose. Bennett mentality was to keep the opposition under 10 points so 2 tries a game, we lost 7 games that GF winning year and on each occasion the opposition scored more than 10 points. Defence in my opinion is your No.1 priority so you can't be missing on an average 25 a game which we have. Just my views.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
Well we will agree to disagree on this point I watched our 2008 team developing under Bennett I was fortunate enough to be at that 2010 GF . We won that GF because the previous 2 yrs Bennett instilled a defensive mindset, defensive line speed , very few unforced turnovers or missed tackles. The attack developed from that. That is what we need now more than ever a return to those basic fundamentals. The rest will come. My old mentor told me you can have the best attacking team in the comp, you can score 30 points a game but if the other team scores 31 you lose. Bennett mentality was to keep the opposition under 10 points so 2 tries a game, we lost 7 games that GF winning year and on each occasion the opposition scored more than 10 points. Defence in my opinion is your No.1 priority so you can't be missing on an average 25 a game which we have. Just my views.
No doubt defence is very important but the 2010 team had no trouble scoring points either.

It's a little like the Bulldogs of last year. Best completion rate and worst attack in the competition.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup

7. Ben Hunt (Of course)
I was just reading, if he's so unhappy with the options at fullback that he has to put a reject Tigers utility in, maybe he could get Matt Dufty who's apparently on the outer at the Dogs.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
True but the bottom line is, defence should be easier to fix than attack. No one in first grade gets to where they are without being able to tackle. So it's all about committment, determination, desperation rather than attack whcih has a lot to do with ability.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
True but the bottom line is, defence should be easier to fix than attack. No one in first grade gets to where they are without being able to tackle. So it's all about committment, determination, desperation rather than attack whcih has a lot to do with ability.
With the best defence in the League, Saints possessed a goal-line defence that often appeared impenetrable. The team's trademark to tough it out in the first half and pile on the points in the second half was no more evident than in the 2010 NRL Grand Final. Saints based their game around defence in the knowledge that the attack would benefit and follow.

Not my words but reported in the media in a season review

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
No doubt defence is very important but the 2010 team had no trouble scoring points either.

It's a little like the Bulldogs of last year. Best completion rate and worst attack in the competition.
I disagree although our defence was no.1 our attack believe this or not was ranked 7th and in fact 6th out of the top 8. We had issues scoring but because of our defence we were able to win more than lose.