The end of another dissapointing year

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
But he'll want a 3 year deal for more than the club is willing to pay him.
The fact he is off contract and the Cowboys have not offered him a new one gives him little muscle in a salary tug a war. Besides being a Sydney native he will be returning home. He also may just like the idea of wearing the famous RedV. Make him an offer Front Office before someone else does.

Eric

Staff

Which clubs aced their season and which flunked?​

DRAGONS

Grade: D

Currently: 10th, 11 wins, 12 losses, -110 points differential

Pre-season prediction: 8th

Last season’s finish: 11th

That’s now four straight seasons the Dragons have missed the finals, and dramas between Anthony Griffin and some players is a huge red flag this could get ugly in the coming months. There has been plenty of legitimate questions about the players Griffin recruited, while the fact Cameron Ciraldo was recently, if unsuccessfully, sounded out highlights sections within have lost faith in the coach. The Dragons better be careful they don’t make the same mistake the Tigers did by carrying the problem into next year.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup

Which clubs aced their season and which flunked?​

DRAGONS

Grade: D

Currently: 10th, 11 wins, 12 losses, -110 points differential

Pre-season prediction: 8th

Last season’s finish: 11th

That’s now four straight seasons the Dragons have missed the finals, and dramas between Anthony Griffin and some players is a huge red flag this could get ugly in the coming months. There has been plenty of legitimate questions about the players Griffin recruited, while the fact Cameron Ciraldo was recently, if unsuccessfully, sounded out highlights sections within have lost faith in the coach. The Dragons better be careful they don’t make the same mistake the Tigers did by carrying the problem into next year.
They will and are

Eric

Staff
Now the season is over, anyone have any more thoughts on this?
Personally I think:
  • Coaches recruitment has been atrocious since the day he arrived.
  • His selection policies were bizarre. Dropping some players on a whim but continuing to pick others no matter what. For some guys, ruthless accountability but for others, none at all.
  • Whatever the coaching staff did with the young guys who we needed to step up this year, not only did it not work but they actually regressed.
  • Divisions within the team. I think relating to the second point. As one might expect.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Personally I think:
  • His selection policies were bizarre. Dropping some players on a whim but continuing to pick others no matter what. For some guys, ruthless accountability but for others, none at all.
  • Whatever the coaching staff did with the young guys who we needed to step up this year, not only did it not work but they actually regressed.
  • Divisions within the team. I think relating to the second point. As one might expect.
This was in my resume when I applied for any coaching position.

An effective coach communicates well and has credibility, competence, respect and authority. You should be able to explain ideas clearly. Clear communication means setting defined and achievable goals, giving direct feedback not only to the individual but also the whole team and reinforcing the key messages. It is important to be able to explain and definine every players individual role within the team so that the team on a whole can be successful. Acknowledging success and failures are also essential for good communication.

Have the ability to identify, nurture and develop players to help them achieve their potential not only for the individual but also the team.

Be willing and able to make decisions that will be in the best interests of the team and if called upon be able to explain those decisions.

Coaching is a tough gig and I suspect there were internal issues restricting the coaches ability to select the players that he wanted and to develop our young rising stars.

If you look at the game plans used against certain teams they were sound in theory but we just didn't have the players able to execute them.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
Personally I think:
  • One of the big guns we expected to kick on still further, Zac Lomax, was really poor in the first half of the season.
  • At the start of the season, I read the Dragons had comfortably the oldest pack in the comp. This showed throughout most of the season.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
A number of reasons for the failure but what stood out or alarmed me more than anything at times was the insipid defence. Sometimes it seems they just didn't even try. That Sloan miss from last game is a good, recent example.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
If one is really honest, we can say:
  • Coach failed to motivate the team enough.
  • Coach failed to hold some players accountable but was ultra aggressive/strict with others.
  • Coach failed to improve the games of promising young players. In fact, they regressed.
  • Coach failed to squeeze anymore out of the veteran forwards he recruited.
So of course the coach isn't going to get sacked. This is St George Illawarra. It will take at least another 3 seasons like this for him to be sacked.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
We should have started a new thread dedicated to the debacle of 2 by some reports and 3 by others, players turning up for the awards ceremony. I just thought it was hilarious what the good ol boy Craig head-knock Young had to say about it. He said there is no excuse not to turn up because the food and drink was free:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:.

Eric

Staff
We should have started a new thread dedicated to the debacle of 2 by some reports and 3 by others, players turning up for the awards ceremony. I just thought it was hilarious what the good ol boy Craig head-knock Young had to say about it. He said there is no excuse not to turn up because the food and drink was free:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:.
What's so funny? Given the amount of money our aging haflback is on, for 3 more years yet:mad::mad::mad:, a number of the squad would probably see spending the time as worth it for a good, free feed and some free drinks.