The WORLD CUP discussion thread.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
1951, Paul Barrière, the president of French Rugby League at the time, raised the idea of a tournament to determine the best Rugby League nation. It took a further two years before the International Rugby League board accepted Barrière's proposal. The Rugby League World Cup was born. A year later in November, 1954 the first tournament was hosted by Barrière's home nation, with Britain, Australia and New Zealand rounding out the four team event. Britain spoiled France's party downing them 16–12 at the Parc des Princes in Paris in front of 30,000 fans. France then donated the trophy, which later became known as the Paul Barrière Trophy to the IRL. The WC has been played for the same trophy ever since. Three nations have won the tournament; Australia 11 times, Great Britain 3, and New Zealand 1. Surprisingly the French are winless.
1662268615746.png
Paul Barriere,
the father of the
RL World Cup

Last edited:

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
The second Rugby League World Cup was held in Australia in 1957, the year marking the 50th anniversary of Rugby League in Australia and was won by the host nation with a dominant display by defeating all nations. This had come as a complete surprise especially to Britain who had held sway over the Kangaroos at home barely seven months previously. Britain, under skipper Alan Prescott, and boasting world-class backs, Billy Boston, Mick Sullivan, Jeff Stevenson and Lewis Jones, plus a formidable pack, were favorites with Jacques Merquey's French side a dark horse.
Before the Australians lifted the Paul Barriere Trophy to the joy of the parochial home crowd, Best and Fairest awards were made to one player from each nation, Gilbert Benausse (France), Brian Carlson (Australia), Phil Jackson ( Britain) and Bill Sorensen (New Zealand).
1662269010492.png
The inaugural Australian World Cup winning side.

Last edited:

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
Ben Hunt will be selected. I wonder if he'll be run on hooker. Might give the front office some ideas. Not the coach. He'll pick Hunt where Hunt wants and Hunt has made it clear he wants to be halfback.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
A huge loss for the Kangaroos with the classy Kalyn Ponga officially pulling out with his head injuries taking their toll. He is one of many of our players with this problem. Time something was done to better protect players noggins from the rigors of our game.
Zac Lomax to replace him?

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
A huge loss for the Kangaroos with the classy Kalyn Ponga officially pulling out with his head injuries taking their toll. He is one of many of our players with this problem. Time something was done to better protect players noggins from the rigors of our game.
Is there any 'train on' squad announced?

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
Who are your WC 'smokies'.

Luciano Leilua (Dragons junior) Cowboys, Siosifa Talakai, Sharks.
If Fittler was coach, Tariq Sims would be in. As Meninga is coach, the guy who paid off a female to drop her accusations and thus, police charges he beat her, JDB would literally be the last guy picked.
Usually once the season proper is over prospective players are named for a 'preliminary train on squad'.. Not happened this time. Why?
Good question.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
Please clarify?
Well, to be honest I don't know all the details. But Meninga was accused of violence against a woman but things being as they were back then, he was able to pay the victim to make the police charges go away. I guess this is why he came out so aggressively for banning JDB and why I suspect, JDB isn't a fan of Meninga.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
Not funny. Zac is one the most naturally talented three quarters in our game in my view. The fact he is not living up to the enormous promise predicted by Freddie Fittler, is he does not have a strong forward pack or clever organizers inside him. Recall how he went just out of U20s with Widdop making clever plays and a go forward engine room. Once the Englishman went and we lost that go forward his career took a nosedive.
Zac is super-talented but in the first half of the season he let it go to his head and it screwed up his game completely. There was talk in the media of dropping him. In the second half of the season he was pretty good but still well down the centres pecking order at present.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
I figured that was because of him being national coach. Knew nothing of any previous assault charge against him.
..and the same man is now in the prestigious position of coaching the Kangaroos, arguably the most respected league side on the planet. Something wrong with that.
He reached some kind of secret settlement and the charges were dropped. So it's in a way similar to JDB. The latter was found not guilty by a court of law. The former in a different time, probably less civilised time, paid for the charges to go away.
He has to do things out of the ordinary because of the scarcity of ball he gets. He'd be a sensation again with a clever half and a hooker that can guide the side around the park.
I agree with that but it's of course purely hypothetical. Though I think almost everyone would agree, with a better spine, the rest of the team would be better as well. Maybe a thread to discuss the spine would be called for?

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
Zac Lomax to replace him?
Zac is super-talented but in the first half of the season he let it go to his head and it screwed up his game completely. There was talk in the media of dropping him. In the second half of the season he was pretty good but still well down the centres pecking order at present.
Not funny. Zac is one the most naturally talented three quarters in our game in my view. The fact he is not living up to the enormous promise predicted by Freddie Fittler, is he does not have a strong forward pack or clever organizers inside him. Recall how he went just out of U20s with Widdop making clever plays and a go forward engine room. Once the Englishman went his career took a nosedive.
He's probably not as far off as you'd think. Who is ahead of him? Staggs had had a worse year than Zac. Tom Turbo is injured. Ponga is out. Bradman Best and Gagai were also poor. Talk of moving the former to the wing. Latrell Mitchell will be one centre. Who'll be the other? Maybe Ramian?

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
He's probably not as far off as you'd think. Who is ahead of him? Staggs had had a worse year than Zac. Tom Turbo is injured. Ponga is out. Bradman Best and Gagai were also poor. Talk of moving the former to the wing. Latrell Mitchell will be one centre. Who'll be the other? Maybe Ramian?
I wish Zac would be selected but at this stage, at least Gagai, Ramien and Staggs are probably in front of him while:
  • Mitchell
  • Holmes
  • Crighton
  • Burton
are certainly in front of him.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
. No way are they similar. That is denigrating JDB. My question is how does a man charged with violent assault and is not exonerated by a court of law get to hold the reins of the national team.
I mean, neither was found guilty in a court of law. Possible Meninga thought something like, 'She's only asking for $#####. Easier to just pay her off and be done with it'. We'll never know. JDB had to do it the hard way.