The WORLD CUP discussion thread.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
Taking a look at stats between Jesse Ramien and Zac.. not a lot of difference with Zac coming out on top in some and Ramien in others. Zac could also slot in as the 'Roos goal kicker. Still a moot point as the Sharks are a chance to win the title this year and Zac's Dragons are done and dusted and the player in the form team will usually be given the cap.
That's the crux of the situation. For Zac and the rest of the team.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
I wish Zac would be selected but at this stage, at least Gagai, Ramien and Staggs are probably in front of him while:
  • Mitchell
  • Holmes
  • Crighton
  • Burton
are certainly in front of him.
Looking at it that way, Zac is a long way from selection for NSW, let alone Australia.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Looking at it that way, Zac is a long way from selection for NSW, let alone Australia.
Only because he is in a weak side. Those mentioned may be above him in the pecking order but not ability. Zac's time will come even if he has to leave us.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
He went fine in Game 3 with a pair of tries.. probably his usual nifty short snipe close to the line. I'd like to see his tackle count tho.
He went fine in all 3 games. Made we think he should have been moved to hooker to allow for Sullivan at halfback immediately, not from next year or from his a contract period.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
He went fine in all 3 games.
I wont debate the issue as you probably watched all three games. But I did read a Z T report of his performances, rating our skipper a 6, 5, 9 from memory. Agree our skipper should be playing hooker to allow a long term half such as Braxton Wallace or Zach Herring to debut next year. Other clubs blood their promising junior play makers early, why not us. Sorry to say if we extend Hunt, Sullivan will walk.

Last edited:

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
I wont debate the issue as you probably watched all agames. But I did read a report of them by ZT. They rated our skipper a 9, 6, 5 from memory. Agree our skipper should be playing hooker to allow a long term half such as Braxton Wallace or Zach Herring to debut next year. Other clubs blood their junior play makers early, why not us. Sorry to say if we extend Hunt, Sullivan will walk.
I can't say for a fact but I think you are mistaken. A lot of commentators and talk show hosts/participants were saying Hunt should have won man of the series.

Up until Origin this year, I thought the club was right to make Sullivan bide his time but seeing the form of McCullough at club level and Hunt at Origin level, I considered it a no-brainer to at least give Hunt at hooker and Sullivan at halfback a chance. But the coach didn't agree.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
I can't say for a fact but I think you are mistaken. A lot of commentators and talk show hosts/participants were saying Hunt should have won man of the series.

Up until Origin this year, I thought the club was right to make Sullivan bide his time but seeing the form of McCullough at club level and Hunt at Origin level, I considered it a no-brainer to at least give Hunt at hooker and Sullivan at halfback a chance. But the coach didn't agree.
Sullivan got 1 chance and completely screwed it up. There is a line of thought Sullivan will be let go to make way for Wallace or Herring. This would be starting to get stupid. Like, maybe the club should sign Hunt for another 5 years so he can mentor some 13 year-old halfback. But I really believe at least one of Purcell / Hooper and Herring / Wallace are going to make it. At least one or both of the former will likely be in the top 30 next year. Probably 2024 for the latter. So keeping Hunt around on 700~750K might not be a terrible move.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
Sullivan got 1 chance and completely screwed it up. There is a line of thought Sullivan will be let go to make way for Wallace or Herring. This would be starting to get stupid. Like, maybe the club should sign Hunt for another 5 years so he can mentor some 13 year-old halfback. But I really believe at least one of Purcell / Hooper and Herring / Wallace are going to make it. At least one or both of the former will likely be in the top 30 next year. Probably 2024 for the latter. So keeping Hunt around on 700~750K might not be a terrible move.
Hunt has already had 5 years. Time to try something else. But I agree, it wouldn't be a disaster if Hunt was re-signed for less than 800k. That isn't a lot for halfbacks these days.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Hearing that Mal will announce the prelim squad after this weekend matches. Only players leaked appear to be Ben Hunt picked as one of the hookers plus one of my bolters, 19-year-old Joseph Suaalii. I think he will be a sensation..

Last edited:

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
Guys the train on squad has been announced but the Tele scribe neglected to print the 42 players. As expected Ben Hunt picked as one of the hookers..the only position our skipper plays at rep level yet our coach refuses to move him from half. The only other player is one of my bolters, 19-year-old Joseph Suaalii. I think he will be a sensation..
Of all the Dragons players, only Hunt?

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Hunt has already had 5 years. Time to try something else. But I agree, it wouldn't be a disaster if Hunt was re-signed for less than 800k. That isn't a lot for halfbacks these days.
As long as R/R locks in his successor. I dont want Hunts retention to be at the expense of one of our promising halves.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
But Hunt re-signed or not, at least 2 of Amone, Sullivan, Herring, Wallace are going to be gone in a few years.
Embarrassment of riches.
Not sure if any other Dragons made the list, as it has not been released on any websites that took a look at. Talk is Meninga will make his choice after this weekends matches. On form I'd have Jack and Lawrie.
Lawrie improved immensely as the season progressed but to be honest, he's still a lot way from rep level. Needs to miss fewer tackles and develop and offload before he's considered one of the best props.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
We may just have handed the the WC to the Brits or Kiwis with the loss of this exceptional trio.. Tom Trbojevic, Ryan Papenhuyzen and Kalyn Ponga. We have no one else with the make something out of nothing ability of Tommy and Kalyn. Only Zac Lomax comes close.

Last edited:

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Sullivan, Herring,
I see this as the pair leaving. Amone will blossum as our running 5/8 in next few years and Wallace looks a natural play making half. He and Hooper should be handed DCs next year. There is also the Qld schoolboy put on a DC already.. to factor in.

Last edited: