The WORLD CUP discussion thread.

Eric

Staff
I think DCE might be too arrogant to quit rep football of his own accord. He'll have to be pushed. This might be a good time for it to happen.
Darren Lockyer being a good example. He should have retired from rep games 3 or 4 years before he actually did. I can see DCE doing the same thing and then some unless he is pushed. Given his age and the turmoil Manly, less arrogant people would have already quit by now.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
Darren Lockyer being a good example. He should have retired from rep games 3 or 4 years before he actually did. I can see DCE doing the same thing and then some unless he is pushed. Given his age and the turmoil Manly, less arrogant people would have already quit by now.
Couldn't we same the same about Ben Hunt?

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Why? Same age, same position, both capts of struggling teams.

Apparently Hunt is much easier to get along with but that's not such a big factor when the squad is only together for a short time.
On his current form he has deserved a ticket on the plane and Meninga won't leave him behind

Eric

Staff
Couldn't we same the same about Ben Hunt?
It's similar but not the same. DCE won't be the first choice halfback and it's not as if teams carry halfbacks on the bench. Hunt will be in the 17 as run on or interchange hooker who can all fill in at halfback in the event of an injury to the halfback during the game.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
It's similar but not the same. DCE won't be the first choice halfback and it's not as if teams carry halfbacks on the bench. Hunt will be in the 17 as run on or interchange hooker who can all fill in at halfback in the event of an injury to the halfback during the game.
Maybe that is how Hunt should be used for our team as well.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Maybe that is how Hunt should be used for our team as well.
Seriously everyone a reality check for each and everyone of you. Knowing the intricacies of how a rugby league club works and the power that this old school coach has. Hunt will be our 7 next year, the signing of that up and coming star Liddle from the wooden spooners clearly shows that. If he re signs and believe me he is just waiting for the awards night. Not only will he get 2 more years at $850k a year he will finish his contract with us as cpt and no.7 mark my words. This means that we will lose a number of our young talented players such as Sullivan, Muhleisen, even perhaps Sloan. Very sad in my view.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
Seriously everyone a reality check for each and everyone of you. Knowing the intricacies of how a rugby league club works and the power that this old school coach has. Hunt will be our 7 next year, the signing of that up and coming star Liddle from the wooden spooners clearly shows that. If he re signs and believe me he is just waiting for the awards night. Not only will he get 2 more years at $850k a year he will finish his contract with us as cpt and no.7 mark my words. This means that we will lose a number of our young talented players such as Sullivan, Muhleisen, even perhaps Sloan. Very sad in my view.
Yeah, on second thoughts Hunt should be #7 next year. First choice #7 but if he extends his contract, maybe it should be to play the same role. Not saying that will happen but something I feel should happen with a competent coach. A bad start next year will surely see Griffin hooked in the first half of the season.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
I think you're right if Hook himself could decide.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Zac Lomax and Ben Hunt the Dragons only Kangaroo caps for the annual Kumuls PMX111 match. Going on second half of his season..Blake Lawrie is unlucky in my view.

Australian Men’s Prime Minister’s XIII Squad:
Daine Laurie (Wests Tigers)
Josh Addo-Carr (Canterbury Bankstown Bulldogs)
Selwyn Cobbo (Brisbane Broncos)
Zac Lomax (St George Illawarra Dragons)
Jojo Fifita (Gold Coast Titans)
Matt Burton (Canterbury Bankstown Bulldogs)
Daly Cherry-Evans (Manly Warringah Sea Eagles)
Tino Fa’asuamaleaui (Gold Coast Titans)
Ben Hunt (St George Illawarra Dragons)
Thomas Flegler (Brisbane Broncos)
Nat Butcher (Sydney Roosters)
Angus Crichton (Sydney Roosters)
Josh King (Melbourne Storm)
Max King (Canterbury Bankstown Bulldogs)
Beau Fermor (Gold Coast Titans)
Jake Simpkin (Wests Tigers)
Luke Garner (Wests Tigers)
Josh Curran (Warriors)
Jake Averillo (Canterbury Bankstown Bulldogs)
Sam Walker (Sydney Roosters)

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
Zac Lomax and Ben Hunt the Dragons only Kangaroo caps for the annual Kumuls PMX111 match. Going on second half of his season..Blake Lawrie is unlucky in my view.

Australian Men’s Prime Minister’s XIII Squad:
Daine Laurie (Wests Tigers)
Josh Addo-Carr (Canterbury Bankstown Bulldogs)
Selwyn Cobbo (Brisbane Broncos)
Zac Lomax (St George Illawarra Dragons)
Jojo Fifita (Gold Coast Titans)
Matt Burton (Canterbury Bankstown Bulldogs)
Daly Cherry-Evans (Manly Warringah Sea Eagles)
Tino Fa’asuamaleaui (Gold Coast Titans)
Ben Hunt (St George Illawarra Dragons)
Thomas Flegler (Brisbane Broncos)
Nat Butcher (Sydney Roosters)
Angus Crichton (Sydney Roosters)
Josh King (Melbourne Storm)
Max King (Canterbury Bankstown Bulldogs)
Beau Fermor (Gold Coast Titans)
Jake Simpkin (Wests Tigers)
Luke Garner (Wests Tigers)
Josh Curran (Warriors)
Jake Averillo (Canterbury Bankstown Bulldogs)
Sam Walker (Sydney Roosters)
Good for Zac but to have only 2 players in the team minus the best 6 teams is really pathetic. Bulldogs have 4. Wests Tigers have 3! Gold Coast have 3! Unbelievable!

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
My bolter for the WC is now Samoa. Just look at the quality on their roster. Suaalii, To'o, Luai, Papalii, Milford, Leilua, Paulo, Su'A, Taupau, Harris-Tevita, Alaoiai.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
My bolter for the WC is now Samoa. Just look at the quality on their roster. Suaalii, To'o, Luai, Papalii, Milford, Leilua, Paulo, Su'A, Taupau, Harris-Tevita, Alaoiai.
Depth is usually the problem. They have a core of really good players but the rest of the team is made up of mostly reserve graders or fringe first graders. Does Amone represent Tonga or Samoa? Is Samoa, I'd include him at Milford's expense.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
Depth is usually the problem. They have a core of really good players but the rest of the team is made up of mostly reserve graders or fringe first graders. Does Amone represent Tonga or Samoa? Is Samoa, I'd include him at Milford's expense.
In the old days, the islanders mostly played for NZ. How good would NZ be with half of those players on top of the real Kiwis?