The WORLD CUP discussion thread.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Who is the forward standing in the centres that loves hogging the ball. Just looked up his number.. Fermor.

Outside backs have hardly touched the ball this half.

Last edited:

Illusion

SGI Jersey Flegg
Why these games , NRL is a long way off as being a world game ..... they should have mixed players from both teams to make it some sort of game ......

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Kumuls had a dig and were the better side for about 25 mins.. but with more ball Aussies were always going to finish the stronger. Not a great spectacle and not sure that other than Tino any are certs for the Kangaroos 17..

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
NRL is a long way off as being a world game
May have to disagree with you on this one. Currently almost 40 nations play league with another 35 wannabees. What does need to happen to grow the sport globally, tho, is for all full membership nations to be given international status. Only time we see those nations outside the elite group is at a WC.

Last edited:

Illusion

SGI Jersey Flegg
May have to disagree with you on this one. Currently almost 40 nations play league with another 35 wannabees. What does need to happen to grow the sport globally, tho, is for all full membership nations to be given international status. Only time we see those nations outside the elite group is at a WC.
Just curious mate do those 40 nations play in a competition every year like we have here ?

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
29 nations according to Wikipedia
It doesn't matter 29 or 129. It's only popular or well known in a handful of countries. It would be good to have a World Cup of League like the soccer WC but that won't be happening. I wish internationals were more frequent and entertaining but they aren't so it is what it is.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Just curious mate do those 40 nations play in a competition every year like we have here ?
I expect so as they have their own fully fledged national league as we do. I will need to confirm that tho or you can.

The early 21st century has seen other countries take up the game and compete in international rugby league with the Rugby League European Federation and Asia-Pacific Rugby League Confederation expanding the game to new areas such as Chile, Canada, Ghana, Philippines, Czech Republic, Germany, Sweden, Norway, Spain, Hungary, Turkey, Thailand and Brazil.

Before this year the fledgling North America Rugby League comprised only one Canadian and a handful of eastern states USA teams. This year additional USA teams will join the Federation from the western states.

Last edited:

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Instead of only seeing some of these nations strutting their stuff every four years in the WC , the international board needs to bring northern hemisphere and southern hemisphere federations together to play regular tournaments. Only then will the sport become truly global .

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
Instead of only seeing some of these nations strutting their stuff every four years in the WC , the international board needs to bring northern hemisphere and southern hemisphere federations together to play regular tournaments. Only then will the sport become truly global .
I like your optimism but to be honest, I think overly optimistic.