The WORLD CUP discussion thread.

Illusion

SGI Jersey Flegg
I like your optimism but to be honest, I think overly optimistic.
When I say world games , Soccer is , Union is , Rugby League a long way behind ..... Really 3 Nations Australia , England , New Zealand when they try and bring teams like , Greece , Italy , Lebanon , it becomes a ( trying hard ) to get it to a world game but makes it a failure .....

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
When I say world games , Soccer is , Union is , Rugby League a long way behind ..... Really 3 Nations Australia , England , New Zealand when they try and bring teams like , Greece , Italy , Lebanon , it becomes a ( trying hard ) to get it to a world game but makes it a failure .....
The Pacific micro states as well but they're too small to really count.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
.. yes. Is Rugby Yawnion?. Elite nations that play regular internationals, LEAGUE; 'Roos, Poms, Wales, Ireland, Kiwis, France, Tonga, Samoa, PNG. Yawnion; Kiwis, Wobblers, Poms, Ireland, SA, Japan, Argentina. Dont think I have missed any. So a solid win by our great game. Soccer is the only true world game guys.
Was thinking the same. Yawnion is more international than league but still, hardly a really big international sport.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
It is. I added more teams to my earlier post but seems when you quote it only shows the original post.

In order of my watching preference. League, Soccer, Union. Yours?
Unfortunately, League isn't a big international sport. Could be better, like RU. Could be much worse. Like the shambles that is Aussie Rules. Glad it's not as big as soccer, or football, otherwise all the best players would get poached to play in foreign countries.

Eric

Staff
Same as .... Can't cop AFL for some reason .....
If you've ever been (un)fortunate enough to watch a game live, there is a "little bubble of activity" around the ball while everyone else is just standing around, barely even moving. You can't see it on TV because they only show the said "little bubble of activity".

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Seems to me a minor miracle it has gotten as popular as it has but still, it's not expanding out of WA, Victoria and SA no matter how much money they throw at it.
Well one attribute AFL has that the others sports dont. Is its totally Australianess. Is that a new word I have invented.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
I love thinking outside the box when selecting cricketers, footy players. So I am throwing this name into the ring for a WC cap. Clint Gutherson. Is somewhat of a quiet achiever. He goes about his business as the Eels custodian week after week with little fanfare. I compared Gutherson's season stats with James Tedesco and he comes up pretty well against our WC fullback favorite. Has Teddie ever played in the centres?

Last edited:

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
I'd also like the selectors to find room for Mitchell Moses as his stats stack up very nicely with Nathan Cleary. So he is my bolter for the half back spot.. specially if the Eels win the GF. Either there or #14. Time his ability was acknowledged with a national cap.
He's the second best halfback at present.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
I'd also like the selectors to find room for Mitchell Moses as his stats stack up very nicely with Nathan Cleary. So he is my bolter for the half back spot.. specially if the Eels win the GF. Either there or #14. Time his ability was acknowledged with a national cap.
I don't think there is any doubt Moses has been the second best halfback this year but halfbacks aren't usually carried on the bench.

Illusion

SGI Jersey Flegg
I love thinking outside the box when selecting cricketers, footy players. So I am throwing this name into the ring for a WC cap. Clint Gutherson. Is somewhat of a quiet achiever. He goes about his business as the Eels custodian week after week with little fanfare. I compared Gutherson's season stats with James Tedesco and he comes up pretty well against our WC fullback favorite. Has Teddie ever played in the centres?
Always liked him at fullback reads the play better than all of them .....

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
Always liked him at fullback reads the play better than all of them .....
I'm going to disagree here. I think he's (Gutherson) massively overrated. He's like Ramsey. Tenacious and puts 110% into pretty much everything he does but lacks the talent of the best fullbacks. Or best potential fullbacks like Sloan.