The WORLD CUP discussion thread.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Personally I think Coats is overrated. In the Melbourne games I saw late in the season, Nofoluma was better than Coats. JAC and To'o will probably be wingers.
If Too was available to play for Australia he'd be my other winger. Too early to take Cobbo. Nofoluma wouldn't be in my squad.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
We will have a very strong pack especially back rowers. I'd find a place on the plane for Cowboys 2nd rowers Nanai and Cotter add them to Yeo, Murray, Crichton, Carrigan that's a very mobile ball playing pack which will lead to big scores.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
Chose the Pacific Islands . Samoa I think.

I may have jumped the gun re Campbell- Gillard choosing the Bati now he is almost certain to be picked for the Roos.
Not sure about him due to an apparently irreconcilable relationship between him and a few others. On form he'd be a certainty.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
Wanna change you view @jodragon. No keeping Nicho from a 'Roos cap now. He was my favorite for the Dally M.
What position? Only if Cleary or DCE are left out.
Ben, sorry to say, was a pretender. Even tho he fell at the final hurdle as pretend champions do, he was given the accolades by default due to his being skipper and prime play maker. Even in losing games, and there were more of those, he could do no wrong with our other 16 copping the flack for the loss.
He's arguably the best #9 in the game at present. He'll be #9 for Australia with Harry Grant on the bench.

Agree 100% with that last sentence. He had a good year. No doubt at all but he was given too many accolades when games were won and didn't get enough criticism when they were lost.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
He goes. You think the selectors wont make the Dally M winner a Kangaroo as jodragon has already indicated when speaking of Ben Hunt. Poor old Ben got the flick for the DM medal and missed out on half of the year too. Now our club has given him a late career ultimatum he was not expecting. Not been a good last few days for our skipper.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
He's arguably the best #9 in the game at present.
How is that so when he only plays a handful of games there a year. I do think tho he'd be more value there in his final year, to mentor Sully into the half role.
Grant will be the 'Roos starting hooker imo.

Last edited:

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
He goes. You think the selectors wont make the Dally M winner a Kangaroo as jodragon has already indicated when speaking of Ben Hunt. Poor old Ben got the flick for the DM medal and missed out on half of the year too. Now our club has given him a late career ultimatum he was not expecting. Not been a good last few days for our skipper.
Selection in the Australian team for the WC will help ease his pain.
How is that so when he only plays a handful of games there a year. I do think tho he'd be more value there on his final year. But only for one year to mentor Sully into the half role.
Grant will be the 'Roos starting hooker imo.
Same idea that Mitchell is one of if not the best centre. Holmes is one of if not the best winger. Murray is one of if not the best second rowers and etc.

Grant might be in the run on team but I doubt it. Hunt will be in the 17.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
I dont think he is a dead set lay down misere as you make out. Specially now he has been beaten to the DM medal by Nicho Hynes. Remember too Ben played in the PMs X111. Just a wild stab but I dont think either he or Cherry Evans will be picked. Cleary will be half, Hynes the bench utility plus there are better hookers in form to partner Grant.. namely Cook from the Rabbits and Robson from the Cowboys.
If Hunt couldn't play hooker as well, something Cleary, DCE, Hynes can't do, he wouldn't be in the squad let alone the best 17.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
That's a point. Still how do we know Hynes could not handle #9. He'd kill em out of dummy half given his season metres gained stats. No probs with his ball skills given his try assists stats, distribution, kicking plus he has a 90% effective tackle count from memory. I'd say he'd make playing hooker a breeze. He'd also be more at home in the other spine positions than Ben.
Hynes might kill it at dummy half but I doubt it. Wrong body type. We don't know because as far as I know, he's never played there before. Anyway, no use arguing about it. The team will be announced in a few days. Hunt will be in it. Hynes maybe will be as well. Don't know. Don't really care. I'm glad the Dragons have at least one player in the squad and he'll almost certainly be in the 17 for the final and/or semi final.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Panthers should dominate the Kangaroos but some of their best are playing for other nations. So who will make the 17 other than Cleary? Dylan Edwards took out the Clive Churchill Medal, chance to pinch Teddie's spot with he going into the centres.The Eels also certainly deserve some representation and if the Dally M winner isnt on the plane there will be an uproar from the Sharkies. I will join them.

Last edited:

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
Panthers should dominate the Kangaroos but some of their best are playing for other nations. So who will make the 17 other than Cleary?
The Eels also certainly deserve some representation and if the Dally M winner isnt on the plane there will be an uproar from the Sharkies. I will join them.
Ben Hunt will be the only Dragon player in the Aus squad:mad: