The WORLD CUP discussion thread.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
..period. If this was two years ago I'd say yes take the $700 grand. But we have given him five years and a barrel load of money in return for mostly mediocrity. Is he able to mentor our juniors. Have my doubts after he left a green Junior Amone to flounder last season, came good only after the 5/8 took on the onus for his own training.
Hard to argue with that. Just a question of how much he's worth going forward.

I've got a feeling the club low-balled him and has budged only a fraction with the idea he will definitely but it will be because he wanted more money, not because the club low-balled him according to the media. That will keep the kids and sponsors happy because Hunt is popular with both.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
I mostly agree with all of you but does every thread need to be about Hunt? I'm sick of hearing about him. We have a about another week to wait until we know whether he has re-signed or is hitting the market.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
TONGA vs FRANCE Rugby League warm up game on their up coming RLWC 2022

Junior Amone and Moses Suli can force their way into the Tonga WC starting X111 with a good game here. Junior is playing in his regular 5/8 while it looks to me that Suli is in the pack, not sure as there was no pre game team list. Junior has started well with good involvement and some strong defense. Reckon the boys will enjoy wearing this strip as it is identical in design to our jumper except instead of a Red V on white they have a White V on red. I like it.. not seen Tonga wear his before.

Last edited:

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup

Junior Amone and Moses Suli can force his way into the Tonga WC starting X111 with a good game here. Junior is playing in his regular 5/8 while it looks to me that Suli is in the pack as there was no pre game team list. Junior has started well with good involvement and some strong defense. Reckon the boys will enjoy wearing this strip as it is identical in design to our jumper except instead of a Red V on white background they have a White V on red background.
It would be good to see how Suli fares in the forwards.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup

Junior Amone and Moses Suli can force their way into the Tonga WC starting X111 with a good game here. Junior is playing in his regular 5/8 while it looks to me that Suli is in the pack, not sure as there was no pre game team list. Junior has started well with good involvement and some strong defense. Reckon the boys will enjoy wearing this strip as it is identical in design to our jumper except instead of a Red V on white they have a White V on red. I like it.. not seen Tonga wear his before.
Did Suli actually play in the forwards? I saw parts of it and both he and Amone were quiet. If Fifita went looking for more work, he'd be worth easily a mil a year. As is, 800k.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
Did Suli actually play in the forwards? I saw parts of it and both he and Amone were quiet. If Fifita went looking for more work, he'd be worth easily a mil a year. As is, 800k.
I know some people, including Jo Dragon, aren't confident in Amone. I'm starting to come around to that opinion as well. He burst into first grade at the end of 2021 but was mostly disappointing this year.

Illusion

SGI Jersey Flegg
I know some people, including Jo Dragon, aren't confident in Amone. I'm starting to come around to that opinion as well. He burst into first grade at the end of 2021 but was mostly disappointing this year.
That's because Hunt wants to do everything ...... I have a feeling that most players are not liking the Hunt , Hook love affair ......

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
That's because Hunt wants to do everything ...... I have a feeling that most players are not liking the Hunt , Hook love affair ......
I was complaining about that for most of the year. It annoyed me how commentators and evidently, Head-Knock Young couldn't see it. A good coach would have quietly pulled Hunt aside in about round 5 and told him to start playing for the team, not his own glory. Then if it wasn't fixed by round 8, would have given him a baking in front of the entire extended squad. Then if it still wasn't fixed by round 10, would have dropped him.

As is, I think the coach had a quiet word to Hunt about it, probably as a result of teammates being unhappy about it, in around round 18. After that Amone was better but too little too late.

Illusion

SGI Jersey Flegg
I was complaining about that for most of the year. It annoyed me how commentators and evidently, Head-Knock Young couldn't see it. A good coach would have quietly pulled Hunt aside in about round 5 and told him to start playing for the team, not his own glory. Then if it wasn't fixed by round 8, would have given him a baking in front of the entire extended squad. Then if it still wasn't fixed by round 10, would have dropped him.

As is, I think the coach had a quiet word to Hunt about it, probably as a result of teammates being unhappy about it, in around round 18. After that Amone was better but too little too late.
So what's going to happen next year if Hunt doesn't produce like he did , his one good year , don't like what is happening .....

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
A good coach would have quietly pulled Hunt aside in about round 5 and told him to start playing for the team, not his own glory.
Griffin is the last person to offer that advice. As Young, Webb and Haran are running this floundering ship, it was up to them to put Hunt in his place by telling him to play for the club, the team and leave the personal glory in the bin. None have done it so Hunt is now the golden boy who can do no wrong and is doing and saying what he likes.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
For the record I still have faith in Amone. Plenty of untapped natural talent there. You can see he wants to go to that next level but lacks confidence. Only needs someone to bring it to the surface. A mentor such as his Tongan coach Christian Wolf would have been able to do that I reckon. What a pity we did not partner him with his brother. There are, tho, signs of Junior's maturity. Once or twice in that match I saw him try to organize their defensive line as he must've seen, as I did, that they were coming forward in scattered formation. Not seen him do that before and why wasn't the Tongan fullback taking care of that role.

Last edited:

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
If Fifita went looking for more work, he'd be worth easily a mil a year. As is, 800k.
I have mixed feelings about us going after DF. There were times when he looked unstoppable such as that long range try when he pushed off half a dozen players like swatting flies and some big hits that shook the ground. Other times tho he looked lazy.. hanging back in attack and defense and generally not looking all that interested.

Last edited:

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
So what's going to happen next year if Hunt doesn't produce like he did , his one good year , don't like what is happening .....
As has been said often here, I'm still not so sure how good Hunts year really was. He was outstanding for QLD playing hooker but as a halfback for the club, I'd say a bit above average.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
I have mixed feelings about us going after DF. There were times when he looked unstoppable such as that long range try when he pushed off half a dozen players like swatting flies and some big hits that shook the ground. Other times tho he looked lazy.. hanging back in defense and generally not looking all that interested.
That's the crux of the issue. Extremely damaging ball-runner who doesn't run the ball nearly enough.