Trial V Tigers at Mudgee

AyiosYiorgos

SGI Jersey Flegg
Our middle defence missed 24 tackles against the Tigers. Imagine what a top 4 team will do to us.
With stats you need to know when they happened, who was on the field, was it mainly our reserves also was there 1 big run that caused 5 misses etc
So stats to be effective, you have to know, when where and why so to speak..

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
With stats you need to know when they happened, who was on the field, was it mainly our reserves also was there 1 big run that caused 5 misses etc
Plus with missed tackles players often drop off tackles on purpose when there are more than 2 in the tackle to get back in position.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Spot on. Exactly missing a tackle 20m , 30m 40m out from the opposition own line doesn't have the same effect as missing those tackles in your own defensive red zone. Also who missed the tackle. Believe it or not I was surprised to see that JDB was the main offender last night, missing 6. On another issue I thought that Connor Muhleisen was outstanding in defence, he reminded me of a young Andrew McCullough, made 42 tackles only missed 2 so a very high efficiency rating. Hopefully he will be at the very least on the bench in game 1 substituting for Liddle.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Plus with missed tackles players often drop off tackles on purpose when there are more than 2 in the tackle to get back in position.
In my day the third person into a tackle wouldn't be credited a tackle stat, may have changed nowadays.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
I remember seeing JDB at least once dive to stop a player but miss. Those must have been counted as missed tackles.
The official definition from the NRL website is : Missed tackles – Defensive player does not bring player to ground or complete tackle. Another more relevant is : When a player has an opportunity to tackle an attacker with the ball, and either falls off the tackle or misses him completely. Hope this helps

AyiosYiorgos

SGI Jersey Flegg
Spot on. Exactly missing a tackle 20m , 30m 40m out from the opposition own line doesn't have the same effect as missing those tackles in your own defensive red zone. Also who missed the tackle. Believe it or not I was surprised to see that JDB was the main offender last night, missing 6. On another issue I thought that Connor Muhleisen was outstanding in defence, he reminded me of a young Andrew McCullough, made 42 tackles only missed 2 so a very high efficiency rating. Hopefully he will be at the very least on the bench in game 1 substituting for Liddle.
Actually noticed JDB fall of a few tackles last night

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
Actually noticed JDB fall of a few tackles last night
Wonder if the club is going to give him one more year. Maybe they've told him 'no' and he's lost motivation. I'm in favour of giving him one more year. He was often playing 80min in the middle last year.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Wonder if the club is going to give him one more year. Maybe they've told him 'no' and he's lost motivation. I'm in favour of giving him one more year. He was often playing 80min in the middle last year.
We now have an abundance of back rowers. I hope they give him the opportunity to finish his career next season with us. I have my doubts about Su'a resigning.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
Positives from the trials:
  • There were no serious injuries.
  • In the first half of the Souths game and in the Tigers the combination of Hunt and Flanagan.
  • In the first half against Souths and in most of the Tigers game, the defence.
  • Bird is a better centre than second rower.
  • RFM looked strong when he came on against the Tigers. Seems he'll be in the 17 for sure for round 1.
Negatives:
  • Lomax is wasted in the wing. If Flanno insists on going with Bird and Suli, he should drop Lomax and go with a winger.
  • Bird was better at centre but Lomax is way better.
  • The way the team fell off a cliff when Hunt and Liddle went off against Souths.

Eric

Staff
Based on that game, I'm going to put my hand up and say I was wrong about Kyle Flanno and Sullivan. I've been spitting and cursing all summer about those two. One going and one coming. I thought it was a big mistake. But in that game, Flanno was really good and Sullivan was terrible.

Still, just a trial against poor opposition.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Wow that's not good then , must have got lost with all the hype of a win and didn't notice that ........
Our red zone defence was good but it was against a poor team that lacked direction and prowess. The count was 53 tackles in our red zone. Now that to me says that they had field position far too often at the wrong end of the field. Now imagine what a team in the top 8 would do with those figures.