Trial V Tigers at Mudgee

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
Liked to have seen more minutes from Fafita (15). Frank Molo played too many mins, in fact, I'd have taken him off after his first 15 as he did not want to tackle and had one measly hit up. To his credit, probably after a rocket from the coach, he did improve.
Frank Molo has surprised the f**k out of me! He was great in the first half against Souffs and great again in the 50 or 60 min he played tonight.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Disappointing to not see Tamale and Finau get some more mins tonite. He gave Matt Feagai some. That big Manly winger looks a handful. Surely he plans replacing Feagai with him. Pretty please.

Illusion

SGI Jersey Flegg
Overall much better game than we have seen for a long time ( I know it was the Tigers ) but previous we would have struggled or got beaten ........ The difference for me is we finally have a real coach that's not out of touch with the game ........

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Gees you almost worship this bloke. Flanagan played him under the table.
Almost, but you have to give credit where credits due. His try off the Flanagan cross field chip came really down to who wanted it more him or Sezer. In saying that his best stat's was his kicking game 10 kicks for 313m, btw him and Flanagan we had a better kicking game than the Tigers pair. His running mtrs were poor 15 runs avg 5 mtrs a run same as Flanagan, neither made a line break, they are issues moving forwards in attack. His defensive stat's were abysmal made 12 but missed 5 so just under every 2nd tackle he missed, not 1st grade standard. These are against a team that is not playing semi finals football again this season.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Overall much better game than we have seen for a long time ( I know it was the Tigers ) but previous we would have struggled or got beaten ........ The difference for me is we finally have a real coach that's not out of touch with the game ........
In saying that it is clear that we look fitter so we should be more competitive this season but again I fear that we just don't have the quality and size in the bookends yet. The coach understands the game, his game plan was sound, playing to our strengths and he knows our strengths in the backline is our size, not our speed. Therefore the more times we can start our attacking sets inside the opponents half the better the chances of utilising our big bodied edge forwards and backs to use their size advantage to barge over the line from close range as we saw with the Suli and Rav tries.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
Still a 10~14 point better team with Lomax in the centres and a real winger on the wing.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
The stats are in and we start with the good, holding onto the ball our completion rate was excellent 95% which if converted into points wins you games or at the very least allows you to be competitive.

Stand out in the forwards F Molo , 14 hit ups for 164m and Su'a 12 hit ups for 155m, followed by JDB, 15 hit ups for 120m. To my eye Su'a is playing for a new contract but I'm not so sure it will be for us in 2025. M Molo also went well 8 hit ups for 96m. An important stat that goes hand in hand with these stat's is the Post Contact Metres, this indicates a players ability to keep moving forward once contact has been made, no surprises here Suli was our best with 65m, but to me it's important that our forwards excel in this area, so it was pleasing to see FMolo, 58m, M Molo 44m and Su'a 42m. This is how your go forward is really measured. We avg 51m a set which is actually very good.

However this is tempered by where you actually start your sets, surely nobody would be surprised if I was to tell you that in 2023 our kick return metres were the poorest of all teams, we finished 17th in that area, last night we returned the ball for 236m v Tigers 153m which gave us better field position. I was impressed by our play the ball speed last night.

The big worry once again is defence and against a poor team in the Tigers, 40 missed tackles. That's it, I have my tickets for round 1 v a Titans team missing 2 strike players in Fifita and Campbell, fingers crossed we start on a positive note.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
F Molo , 14 hit ups for 164m
He definitely improved as game progressed. I was onIy scathing over his first 15 mins. I saw one hit up. Did not look interested, shirked the tackle, happier to watch others. We need more commitment from our starting bookend. Always get that with Lawrie.

Just a Mug Fan

SGI Jersey Flegg
The stats are in and we start with the good, holding onto the ball our completion rate was excellent 95% which if converted into points wins you games or at the very least allows you to be competitive.

Stand out in the forwards F Molo , 14 hit ups for 164m and Su'a 12 hit ups for 155m, followed by JDB, 15 hit ups for 120m. To my eye Su'a is playing for a new contract but I'm not so sure it will be for us in 2025. M Molo also went well 8 hit ups for 96m. An important stat that goes hand in hand with these stat's is the Post Contact Metres, this indicates a players ability to keep moving forward once contact has been made, no surprises here Suli was our best with 65m, but to me it's important that our forwards excel in this area, so it was pleasing to see FMolo, 58m, M Molo 44m and Su'a 42m. This is how your go forward is really measured. We avg 51m a set which is actually very good.

However this is tempered by where you actually start your sets, surely nobody would be surprised if I was to tell you that in 2023 our kick return metres were the poorest of all teams, we finished 17th in that area, last night we returned the ball for 236m v Tigers 153m which gave us better field position. I was impressed by our play the ball speed last night.

The big worry once again is defence and against a poor team in the Tigers, 40 missed tackles. That's it, I have my tickets for round 1 v a Titans team missing 2 strike players in Fifita and Campbell, fingers crossed we start on a positive note.
I never look at stats watching the game tells me everything I need to know.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
  1. Tyrell Sloan - Played well
  2. Zac Lomax - Played well but not a winger
  3. Moses Suli - Best game I've seen from him
  4. Jack Bird - Good but Lomax is a better centre
  5. Mikaele Ravalawa - Good
  6. Kyle Flanagan - Surprisingly good
  7. Ben Hunt (c) - Excellent
  8. Francis Molo - Best prop on the field again
  9. Jacob Liddle - Best player on the field while he was on for me
  10. Blake Lawrie - Injured early
  11. Tom Eisenhuth - RFM is a better choice for backrow
  12. Jaydn Su'A - MoM (because Liddle spent a long time on the sideline)
  13. Jack de Belin - Good as always

Interchange

14. Jesse Marschke - Got a few minutes
  15. Viliami Fifita - Impressed again with limited minutes
  16. Ben Murdoch-Masila - Not much impact
  17. Raymond Faitala-Mariner - Is he a better starting option than Luc?
  18. Michael Molo - As always, not bad or good
  19. Connor Muhleisen - Good service out of dummy half. Did he run at all?
  20. Christian Tuipulotu - Good

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
I thought he was much better than Lawrie in both games.
I missed the Rabbits game and Lawrie was injured early last nite. You could see he was distressed, lacking his usual energy and thrust. So not sure how you guys can rubbish him for that.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
He definitely improved as game progressed. I was onIy scathing over his first 15 mins. I saw one hit up. Did not look interested, shirked the tackle, happier to watch others. We need more commitment from our starting bookend. Always get that with Lawrie.
Love Lawrie he's that character and work horse that every pack needs. But to me he would be a better asset coming off the bench as 1st prop rotation after the 1st 20 min. Just my views.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
  1. Kyle Flanagan - Surprisingly good
  2. Ben Hunt (c) - Excellent
Flanagan had an outstanding first 40. Lacked possession in the second so had less impact with ball in hand. The sook had a non existent first half and a moderate second, good kicking game as usual, defense poor as usual and metres run poor. So where does excellent come in.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
I missed the Rabbits game and Lawrie was injured early last nite. You could see he was distressed, lacking his usual energy and thrust. So not sure how you guys can rubbish him for that.
To my eye rib or rib cartridge injury for Lawrie and a hammy strain for Liddle. Time will tell if either will be right to go against the Titans. Whilst on the Titans my neighbour tells me Foran is out of today's trial game with a calf injury, maybe more good news for us.