2022 World Swimming Championships.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Who is stepping up for the gold medals tonight?
Our only chance was Kaylee McKeown. Finished with a silver in the 200 IM. That is a big improvement as IM is not her speciality.
What a joke Swimming Aust. website is. Not one word about the World Champs. So will have to get info from FINA.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
Our only chance was Kaylee McKeown. Finished with a silver in the 200 IM. That is a big improvement as IM is not her speciality.
What a joke Swimming Aust. website is. Not one word about the World Champs. So will have to get info from FINA.
May be sub contracting the same IT company as St George.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
The female sprints, 50, 100, 200m are being held today so plenty of medal chances for our girls either overnite or later in the meet..

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
May be sub contracting the same IT company as St George.
I have a reasonable swimming knowledge. What is lacking is precisely which of our swimmers are swimming which event. A lot of guesswork if Swim Aust is not supplying the info and neither is FINA. Also trying to access world rankings is like pulling teeth.

Last edited:

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
T
I have a reasonable swimming knowledge. What we lack is precisely which of our swimmers are swimming which event. A lot of guesswork then if Swim Aust is not supplying the info and neither is FINA. Also trying to access world rankings is like pulling teeth.
I guess swimming just isn't a popular sport. Not enough demand for them to provide detailed coverage.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Elijah Winnington finished out of the places in the 200 free.. but I think he recorded a PB (personal best time). Lani Pallister took out third in the girls 1500 free while Mollie O did not medal in the 200 free but that is not a pet event for her. Have not had access to our other swimmers as yet. But I dont think we went all that well.

Last edited:

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
Elijah Winnington finished out of the places in the 200 free.. but I think he recorded a PB (personal best time). Lani Pallister took out third in the girls 1500 free while Mollie O did not medal in the 200 free but that is not a pet event for her. Have not had access to our other swimmers as yet. But I dont think we went all that well.
I'm finding it impossible to get the specific info for this event. I found the site which gives the schedule but no news or information at all for completed events.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Australia is and has always been strong in freestyle swimming. Yes strong in freestyle but not so strong in breast, butterfly or individual medley. We have had Olympic and World champions in those strokes over our history but never a flow of them.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
Australia is and has always been strong in freestyle swimming. Yes strong in freestyle but not so strong in breast, butterfly or individual medley. We have had Olympic and World champions in those strokes over our history but never a flow of them.
Apparently there a just turned 18 year-old from Romania who unless a new sensation comes onto the scene soon, is going to dominate mens 100, 200 and probably 400m freestyle for a while.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Who here was aware that an Australian is credited with inventing the freestyle swimming stroke? Australian, Richmond “Dick” Cavill, is said to have watched a Solomon islander Alick Wickham in the water and was inspired to invent his own but similar stroke around 1900, which came to be known as the "Australian Crawl". America also lays claim to inventing the stroke some 30 years earlier by American John Arthur Trudgen after a trip to Argentina where he witnessed the local natives using a odd 'mode of transport' in the water. On returning to America he copied the South American's swimming style which he called the 'Trudgen stroke', becoming popular among the few people that swam back them. This style tho used the 'scissor kick ' unlike the flutter kick invented by Cavill and still used today.
Perhaps both the Americans and Australians were upstaged when in the mid 1800s Native North Americans (Indians) took on the Brits in London using the 'crawl' style and defeated them.. tho the Brits did not use 'the barbaric and un- European' style instead used the 'more refined' breast stroke style.

Last edited:

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Apparently there a just turned 18 year-old from Romania who unless a new sensation comes onto the scene soon, is going to dominate mens 100, 200 and probably 400m freestyle for a while.
Yes Chris M I noted that a Romanian had won the 200free in which Winnington competed. Just looked up his name, David Popovici. A big future ahead for him. I think Winnington and the German Martens will dominate the 400free for a while. Didn't Phelps win his first Olympic medal at 15 and Thorpe his first at 16?

Last edited:

Eric

Staff
Who here was aware that an Australian is credited with inventing the freestyle swimming stroke? Australian, Richmond “Dick” Cavill, is said to have watched a Solomon islander Alick Wickham in the water and was inspired to invent his own but similar stroke around 1900, which came to be known as the "Australian Crawl". America also lays claim to inventing the stroke some 30 years earlier by American John Arthur Trudgen after a trip to Argentina. He watched as the local natives used a strange 'mode of transport' in the water. On returning to America he copied the South Americans swimming style which he called the 'Trudgen stroke', becoming popular among the few people that swam back them. This style tho used the 'scissor kick ' unlike the flutter kick invented by Cavill and still used today.
Perhaps both the Americans and Australians were upstaged when in the mid 1800s North American Indians took on the Brits in London using the 'crawl' style and defeated them.. tho the Brits did not use 'the barbaric and un- European' style instead used the 'more refined' breast stroke style.
Interesting

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
Yes Chris M I noted that a Romanian had won the 200free in which Winnington competed. Just looked up his name, David Popovici. A big future ahead for him. I think Winnington and the German Martens will dominate the 400free for a while. Didn't Phelps win his first Olympic medal at 15 and Thorpe his first at 16?
Well, lets hope an Australian young swimmer is about to burst onto the scene to beat him.