2022 World Swimming Championships.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Well, lets hope an Australian young swimmer is about to burst onto the scene to beat him.
They are not falling out of the trees since Thorpe to be honest. Kyle Chalmers the exception. Tho this kid may be our next Freestyle star after he announced himself at our national Age Champs this year. Put the name Flynn Southam in your little black book.

16-Yr-Old Flynn Southam Unleashes 1:46.77 200 Free at Aussie Age Championships. That is less than a second behind Thorpe at same age and the 20th fastest 200 Free in the world this year.. (Swim Swam)​

Last edited:

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
They are not falling out of the trees since Thorpe to be honest. Kyle Chalmers the exception. Tho this kid may be our next Freestyle star after he announced himself at our national Age Champs this year. Put the name Flynn Southam in your little black book.

16-Yr-Old Flynn Southam Unleashes 1:46.77 200 Free at Aussie Age Championships. That is less than a second behind Thorpe at same age and is within the 20th fastest 200 Free time in the world this year.. (Swim Swam)​

It has also earned the South Aussie teen a 200 Free Relay spot at these Championships.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
Who here was aware that an Australian is credited with inventing the freestyle swimming stroke? Australian, Richmond “Dick” Cavill, is said to have watched a Solomon islander Alick Wickham in the water and was inspired to invent his own but similar stroke around 1900, which came to be known as the "Australian Crawl". America also lays claim to inventing the stroke some 30 years earlier by American John Arthur Trudgen after a trip to Argentina where he witnessed the local natives using a odd 'mode of transport' in the water. On returning to America he copied the South American's swimming style which he called the 'Trudgen stroke', becoming popular among the few people that swam back them. This style tho used the 'scissor kick ' unlike the flutter kick invented by Cavill and still used today.
Perhaps both the Americans and Australians were upstaged when in the mid 1800s Native North Americans (Indians) took on the Brits in London using the 'crawl' style and defeated them.. tho the Brits did not use 'the barbaric and un- European' style instead used the 'more refined' breast stroke style.
That can't be right. In a Viking saga the hero was challenged to a swimming race. The two of swam for 3 days and 3 nights, braved storms, 10m waves and sea monsters. Are you telling me they did all that while doing an old fashioned crawl?

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup

16-Yr-Old Flynn Southam Unleashes 1:46.77 200 Free at Aussie Age Championships. That is less than a second behind Thorpe at same age and the 20th fastest 200 Free in the world this year.. (Swim Swam)​

Not overly impressive against the swimmer from Romania whose junior times were apparently more than 2sec faster than Thorps.

There were a few very highly regarded swimmers who flamed out badly when it came to the Olympics. The Russian great, Popov who used to train in Australia blasted the swimming team heads and the media over it, accusing them of putting the medals around the swimmers necks before they've swum the race.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
That can't be right. In a Viking saga the hero was challenged to a swimming race. The two of swam for 3 days and 3 nights, braved storms, 10m waves and sea monsters. Are you telling me they did all that while doing an old fashioned crawl?
Missing the point. Talking of modern competitive swimming. No doubt our human ancestors learnt to stay afloat by some form of swimming. The Pacific Islanders for instance living so close to water and needing to fish for their livelihood.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
Missing the point. Talking of modern competitive swimming. No doubt our human ancestors learnt to stay afloat by some form of swimming. The Pacific Islanders for instance living so close to water and needing to fish for their livelihood.
It wouldn't be the first time I've missed the point but that post I wasn't seriously thinking the saga is a true story.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
A couple more silver medals last night.
  • Mollie O’Callaghan narrowly lost to a Chinese swimmer in the 200m freestyle.
  • The 100m mixed medley team lost to USA.
I'm not sure how mixed medley works. I wonder if RedVHeartbeat RedVHeartbeat knows. I know it's two female and two male swimmers but do strokes which more heavily require raw power, i.e. freestyle and butterfly, go to the male swimmers while strokes where power and form is very important, breastroke and backstroke go to the females? It seems logical but Shanya Jack swam the freestyle leg for Australia...... I don't understand it at all.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
2sec faster than Thorps.
Sure about that.
A couple more silver medals last night.
  • Mollie O’Callaghan narrowly lost to a Chinese swimmer in the 200m freestyle.
  • The 100m mixed medley team lost to USA.
I'm not sure how mixed medley works. I wonder if RedVHeartbeat RedVHeartbeat knows. I know it's two female and two male swimmers but do strokes which more heavily require raw power, i.e. freestyle and butterfly, go to the male swimmers while strokes where power and form is very important, breastroke and backstroke go to the females? It seems logical but Shanya Jack swam the freestyle leg for Australia...... I don't understand it at all.
Congrats to Mollie M and our mixed medley team.
Morgan Morgan To be brutally honest, I am not totally sure either. Like you, I 'd say Fly as the power stroke would be the male (Temple). Shayna Jack almost definitely swam the free leg as I dont think she swims any other discipline. Kaylee the back and Zac S-C the breast. Will now go and catch the 9Now replays.

Last edited:

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
Sure about that.
Ummmm, no, not really. But I definitely read his junior times were faster than Thorp's and I remember being surprised by how it wasn't even really close.
Congrats to Mollie and our mixed medley team.
Morgan Morgan To be brutally honest, I am not totally sure either. Like you, I 'd saym fly as the power stroke would be the male (Temple). Shayna Jack almost definitely swam the free leg as I dont think she swims any other discipline. Kaylee the back and Zac S-C the breast.
Unlike you, I don't know a lot about the individuals but as Morgan Morgan said, it seems logical the men would swim butterfly, freestyle and women, breaststroke, backstroke but Shayna Jack definitely swam the freestyle leg so, I'm confused. Maybe it has something to do with the order.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
apparently more than 2sec faster than Thorps.
Evidently that is the case. The 200Free was never Thorpe's best event.- 400Free was and it took a banned super suited German Beiterman (sp) to beat it. Also bearing in mind the Romanian is one year 1/2 older than Southam.. so plenty of time for the Aussie to catch his times.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
Evidently that is the case. The 200Free was never Thorpe's best event.- 400Free was and it took a banned super suited German Beiterman (sp) to beat it. Also bearing in mind the Romanian is one year 1/2 older than Southam.. so plenty of time for the Aussie to catch his times.
The Romanian is 1 + 1/2 years older? The article I was reading was talking about the junior times so I presume they were marks set a year or a year + 1/2 ago.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
Sure about that.

Congrats to Mollie M and our mixed medley team.
Morgan Morgan To be brutally honest, I am not totally sure either. Like you, I 'd say Fly as the power stroke would be the male (Temple). Shayna Jack almost definitely swam the free leg as I dont think she swims any other discipline. Kaylee the back and Zac S-C the breast. Will now go and catch the 9Now replays.
What did the reply reveal?

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
What did the reply reveal?
The replay did not even name the team members pre race and the Aussie comms concentrated on the three leaders for the two first legs which did not include any Aussies. I had to wait till the third Fly leg before I heard Temple's name then Shayna bringing it home with the Free leg. So obviously S - C swam the Breast and Kaylee the Back starting leg. Jack was left with a huge job even to place second. SC may be world champion in 200 Breast but his first 50 of the 100m was slow. That was where we lost any chance of a win imo.

Last edited:

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
The replay did not even name the team members pre race and the Aussie comms concentrated on the three leaders for the two first legs which did not include any Aussies. I had to wait till the third Fly leg before I heard Temple's name then Shayna bringing it home with the Free leg. So obviously S - C swam the Breast and Kaylee the Back starting leg. Jack was left with a huge job even to place second. SC may be world champion in 200 Breast but his first 50 of the 100m was slow. That was where we lost any chance of a win imo.
Hmmmm I see. Thanks for the info. Did all the teams have males and females swimming the same legs?

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
Shayna Jack must have been cursed at birth. We know oh her much publicised banning for two years.. now the luckless girl has broken a hand in training and is out of the meet.

Mollie O has anchored our 4x200 relay girls to a silver medal. Cant help thinking that had we had Emma McKeon and Ariane Titmus on the blocks we'd have won this race.
I couldn't find any news other than the broken hand so I was waiting for you. I figured there was no gold due to the lack of news.

Would I would be right is saying that thus far, its been a pretty disappointing meet for the Australian team?

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Would I would be right is saying that thus far, its been a pretty disappointing meet for the Australian team?
Remember our stocks are depleted without several Olympic champs on pool deck. Our Dolphins hit another gear last nite with gold medals to Mollie O in the 100 Free and Stubblety-Cook the 200 Breast. He now holds both the Olympic and World titles in his pet event. We also pouched two more silver in female 200 Breast and male 4x200 relay. So in one session we jumped three nations to again be second behind the tearaway US.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
Remember our stocks are depleted without several Olympic champs on pool deck. Our Dolphins hit another gear last nite with gold medals to Mollie O in the 100 Free and Stubblety-Cook the 200 Breast. He now holds both the Olympic and World titles in his pet event. We also pouched two more silver in female 200 Breast and male 4x200 relay. So in one session we jumped three nations to again be second behind the tearaway US.
Is it over now?

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Is it over now?
A couple more days for us to pick up more medals. We did last nite adding two gold to our tally from Olympic and now new world champion Kaylee McKewon in 200Back plus the 4x100Mixed Relay for men. We now sit more comfortably in second on the ladder.

Last edited: