2023 Pack

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
I agree it was harsh. Not on the club but on the government and its Covid infatuation. Why is it ok for players to play a contact sport with each other and do training and all that but not have a BBQ. But it turned out well for the club. Vaughan was on massive overs. He was making the metres before the "JDB thing" but for the last 2 years, especially the last year, he had become a shadow of the player he was.
Even when he was at his best, 800~850K, which is what I heard he was on, was massive overs.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Just looking at his '20/21 stats and he was still making big metres. One game he had 22 carries for 229 m.. others in the 188 m range.. but he has been inconsistent too over his career. One week he will have 18 carries for say 160m, the next a low 12 for 100ms. I notice his Bulldog stats are down from past two years.

Ryan

SGI Jersey Flegg
Vaughan on this.. Hunt on over a $1m. Who has given us the better value over their careers. I know who gets my vote.
Over the course of his Dragons career, Vaughan by a mile. But playmakers have a longer shelf life than props who rely on speed and power. Vaughan isn't first grade standard anymore.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
Just looking at his '20/21 stats and he was still making big metres. One game he had 22 carries for 229 m.. others in the 188 m range.. but he has been inconsistent too over his career. One week he will have 18 carries for say 160m, the next a low 12 for 100ms. I notice his Bulldog stats are down from past two years.
Is that 20 or 21? If it was 21, he has gone downhill in a hurry.
Vaughan on this.. Hunt on over a $1m. Who has given us the better value over their careers. I know who gets my vote.
Both were/are overpaid. McGregor is to blame for both. There is a rumour some senior players bossed the coach around. Looking at the all the bloated contracts, I think there's some truth in this. Maybe not 'bully' but some players were too friendly with the coach and it seems the coach put what's good for them financially above what's good for the team.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
He still has not been snapped up by anyone. Is he a chance to wear the RedV next year. Surely we have sufficient under the salary cap with all our bargain basement buys this year and the loss of Sims who is on 700k. We need another established but not archaic prop like Woods in our engine room. Lawrie is enthusiastic and a hard worker but lacks the size of the big poppers.
The drum is Manly

Eric

Staff

17. ST GEORGE ILLAWARRA DRAGONS

Round 1 predicted starting pack: 8. Zane Musgrove 9. Jacob Liddle 10. Blake Lawrie 11. Jack de Belin 12. Jaydn Su’A 13. Jack Bird

Full pack: Jack Bird, Billy Burns, Jack de Belin, Tyrell Fuimaono, Jaiyden Hunt, Josh Kerr, Blake Lawrie, Andrew McCullough, Francis Molo, Michael Molo, Zane Musgrove, Jaydn Su’A, Aaron Woods, Nick Lui-Toso, Jacob Liddle, Jayden Sullivan

Ins: Zane Musgrove (Wests Tigers), Nick Lui-Toso (Northen Pride)

Outs: Jackson Ford (Warriors), George Burgess (released), Poasa Faamausili (Dolphins), Jack Gosiewski (Cowboys)

Analysis: The Dragons have lost a significant amount of depth due to the departures of Jackson Ford, George Burgess, Poasa Faamausili and Jack Gosiewski. Following Andrew McCullough’s retirement, the Red V went about signing a hooker and were able to secure Jacob Liddle. The 26-year-old was solid in patches for the Tigers but will be desperate to secure the No.9 jersey under Anthony Griffin, but could fight it out with young gun Jayden Sullivan.

Meanwhile, the ever-present Blake Lawrie, Jack de Belin and Jaydn Su’A will be heavily relied upon. Francis Molo will miss the first two games of the 2022 season for an ugly clothesline tackle, giving new signing Zane Musgrove a chance to stake his claim on the prop slot from Round 1.

Gun utility Jack Bird was shifted around the team in 2022, plugging holes that arose due to injuries, but the dynamic forward will be hoping to find a consistent position next season. The Dragons recorded the most sin bins of any team last season and also topped the league for missed tackles.

Fox sport rating the Dragons the worst pack in the competition for 2023. Unless the last few spots in the top 30 are filled by some really good, young players who make a big splash in the NRL immediately, I think Fox Sport may be right.

But getting rid of:

• Jackson Ford (unfortunately. Really gave 100% but just not big enough to be a good forward)
  • George Burgess
  • Poasa Faamausili
  • Daniel Alvaro (another Fox sport overlooked)
  • Andrew McCullough
will only strengthen the pack. I saw it mentioned that Ravalawa could possibly make it in the pack. I'm a big fan but he's too slow for a winger. I think the starting wingers are going to be Alexander Lobb and one of the Feagai's. Probably Matt.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup

17. ST GEORGE ILLAWARRA DRAGONS

Round 1 predicted starting pack: 8. Zane Musgrove 9. Jacob Liddle 10. Blake Lawrie 11. Jack de Belin 12. Jaydn Su’A 13. Jack Bird

Full pack: Jack Bird, Billy Burns, Jack de Belin, Tyrell Fuimaono, Jaiyden Hunt, Josh Kerr, Blake Lawrie, Andrew McCullough, Francis Molo, Michael Molo, Zane Musgrove, Jaydn Su’A, Aaron Woods, Nick Lui-Toso, Jacob Liddle, Jayden Sullivan

Ins: Zane Musgrove (Wests Tigers), Nick Lui-Toso (Northen Pride)

Outs: Jackson Ford (Warriors), George Burgess (released), Poasa Faamausili (Dolphins), Jack Gosiewski (Cowboys)

Analysis: The Dragons have lost a significant amount of depth due to the departures of Jackson Ford, George Burgess, Poasa Faamausili and Jack Gosiewski. Following Andrew McCullough’s retirement, the Red V went about signing a hooker and were able to secure Jacob Liddle. The 26-year-old was solid in patches for the Tigers but will be desperate to secure the No.9 jersey under Anthony Griffin, but could fight it out with young gun Jayden Sullivan.

Meanwhile, the ever-present Blake Lawrie, Jack de Belin and Jaydn Su’A will be heavily relied upon. Francis Molo will miss the first two games of the 2022 season for an ugly clothesline tackle, giving new signing Zane Musgrove a chance to stake his claim on the prop slot from Round 1.

Gun utility Jack Bird was shifted around the team in 2022, plugging holes that arose due to injuries, but the dynamic forward will be hoping to find a consistent position next season. The Dragons recorded the most sin bins of any team last season and also topped the league for missed tackles.

Fox sport rating the Dragons the worst pack in the competition for 2023. Unless the last few spots in the top 30 are filled by some really good, young players who make a big splash in the NRL immediately, I think Fox Sport may be right.

But getting rid of:

• Jackson Ford (unfortunately. Really gave 100% but just not big enough to be a good forward)
  • George Burgess
  • Poasa Faamausili
  • Daniel Alvaro (another Fox sport overlooked)
  • Andrew McCullough
will only strengthen the pack. I saw it mentioned that Ravalawa could possibly make it in the pack. I'm a big fan but he's too slow for a winger. I think the starting wingers are going to be Alexander Lobb and one of the Feagai's. Probably Matt.
Matt Lodge is still unsigned. If his RL ability were the deciding factor, he'd be a massive signing.
Jack Bird had better start tackling much better this year! He needs to lose 2 or 3 kg of fat and replace it with 5~6kg of muscle.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup

Must 've missed him.
Still our Top 30 not announced?

Eric

Staff
Front rowers for 2023: According to the DT. Fuimaono needs to have packed on 10kg in the off season.

Zane Musgrove, Blake Lawrie, Tyrell Fuimaono, Aaron Woods, Michael and Francis Molo and Jaiyden Hunt.

God help us.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
Front rowers for 2023: According to the DT. Fuimaono needs to have packed on 10kg in the off season.

Zane Musgrove, Blake Lawrie, Tyrell Fuimaono, Aaron Woods, Michael and Francis Molo and Jaiyden Hunt.

God help us.
If Hunt has worked on his stamina so he's good for 20min bursts, not only 5min bursts like last season, I think he'll go well.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
Nice to see Blocker getting some accolades:

Round 2 Team of the Week​

8. BLAKE LAWRIE

Lawrie was impressive for the Red V and got a rare try, adding to his tally of two tries from 104 appearances. The 26-year-old prop did the hard yards for the Dragons, making 33 tackles and carrying the ball 14 times for 116 metres, forging a strong partnership with Francis Molo in the front row.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
Fatima Kdouh at the Telegraph seems to really know WTF she is talking about.

If the Dragons want their man Hunt to come out on top, they better turn up to Suncorp Stadium prepared to bash the Broncos into submission.

St George Illawarra coach Anthony Griffin and Hunt take on former side Brisbane in what will be a true test for the Dragons’ remarkable turnaround since the Charity Shield.

Both Griffin and Broncos coach Kevin Walters were handed pre-season salvage jobs, and so far, both men, and their sides, have exceeded expectations.

Everyone scoffed at Griffin when he labelled the side’s hapless Mudgee against South Sydney showing as easy fix ‘system errors’. Maybe he was right.

Or maybe, finally, the Red V big men stood up to be counted and dominated the middle through sheer hard running against the Titans.

That's exactly it. Finally some forward momentum in the forwards for Hunt, Sloan, Sullivan to do some good work behind. Need JDB in for Bird and Bird on the bench to continue that. Don't drop Couchman!

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup

If the Dragons want their man Hunt to come out on top, they better turn up to Suncorp Stadium prepared to bash the Broncos into submission.

St George Illawarra coach Anthony Griffin and Hunt take on former side Brisbane in what will be a true test for the Dragons’ remarkable turnaround since the Charity Shield.

Both Griffin and Broncos coach Kevin Walters were handed pre-season salvage jobs, and so far, both men, and their sides, have exceeded expectations.

Everyone scoffed at Griffin when he labelled the side’s hapless Mudgee against South Sydney showing as easy fix ‘system errors’. Maybe he was right.

Or maybe, finally, the Red V big men stood up to be counted and dominated the middle through sheer hard running against the Titans.

That's exactly it. Finally some forward momentum in the forwards for Hunt, Sloan, Sullivan to do some good work behind. Need JDB in for Bird and Bird on the bench to continue that. Don't drop Couchman!
Let's see them back it up next week and the weeks after that before we start booking GF tickets.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup

Unfortunately for us Bird won't be dropped I'd say young Couchman for JDB

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Let's see them back it up next week and the weeks after that before we start booking GF tickets.
Agree I think the Broncos pack is a touch better than the Titans. Hass will be hard to stop then you have Carrigan

Last edited: