2023 Pack

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
Agree unless the others pick up their form but I like the look of molo jnr and my man Gosiewski scored a double went very well so there are options
So why won't Griffin start the former and drop the latter? I can't understand it. He was quick to drop Sloan. It's not like he's a fanatical 'pick and sticker'.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
So why won't Griffin start the former and drop the latter? I can't understand it. He was quick to drop Sloan. It's not like he's a fanatical 'pick and sticker'.
I wish I knew it baffles me why he dropped Gosiewski when Birds and Sims stats are so poor. Perhaps loyalty?

Eric

Staff
I wish I knew it baffles me why he dropped Gosiewski when Birds and Sims stats are so poor. Perhaps loyalty?
I've been a staunch supporter of Griffin. A lot of the mess we are in now can be laid at the feet of Paul McGregor. But I'm also baffled by his selections. Sometimes it seems he has his favourites or pet dislikes and won't drop or pick them no matter what.

Except when it comes to Mbye. I think he's picking Mbye because he's too proud to admit he was wrong about signing Mbye at all.

Last edited:

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
I've been a staunch supporter of Griffin. A lot of the mess we are in now can be laid at the feet of Paul McGregor. But I'm also baffled by his selections. Sometimes it seems he has his favourites or pet dislikes and won't drop or pick them no matter what.

Except when it comes to Mbye. I think he's picking Mbye because he's too proud to admit he was wrong about signing Mbye at all.
Mbye's best position is probably as a NSW Cup bench utility.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
I don't see how it would have been a good idea for the club to let him go early. He definately still good enough to be in the best 17. I don't think his form has been that bad. Has more tackles, fewer misses and more run metres than a lot of the others.

STORM SHUT DOWN SIMS EXIT

Storm officials have reportedly shut down talk of Tariq Sims immediate release, telling the Dragons he isn’t in their 2022 plans. Only hours ago, Sims said the Storm and Dragons were discussing a potential mid-season switch, Storm powerbrokers were on the phone to set the record straight, according to sources.

Sims has fallen out of favour under Anthony Griffin but could find a regular starting spot if Jaydn Su’A’s injury means an extended sideline stint.
“I think the clubs are talking at the moment, but I think you’d have to ask them. I never wanted to leave here at the first place. It’s rugby league, it’s a business. You have to take it week by week,” Sims said to the SMH.

“I’m pretty focused on playing on good, consistent, hard football. I’m a firm believer in controlling what you can control.” Sims now has the task of retaining his Origin jumper after a difficult start to the 2022 season. Meanwhile, his St George Illawarra teammates will be desperate for the 32-year-old to find form before his departure to the Storm on a one-year deal for 2023.

Eric

Staff
I don't see how it would have been a good idea for the club to let him go early. He definately still good enough to be in the best 17. I don't think his form has been that bad. Has more tackles, fewer misses and more run metres than a lot of the others.

STORM SHUT DOWN SIMS EXIT

Storm officials have reportedly shut down talk of Tariq Sims immediate release, telling the Dragons he isn’t in their 2022 plans. Only hours ago, Sims said the Storm and Dragons were discussing a potential mid-season switch, Storm powerbrokers were on the phone to set the record straight, according to sources.

Sims has fallen out of favour under Anthony Griffin but could find a regular starting spot if Jaydn Su’A’s injury means an extended sideline stint.
“I think the clubs are talking at the moment, but I think you’d have to ask them. I never wanted to leave here at the first place. It’s rugby league, it’s a business. You have to take it week by week,” Sims said to the SMH.

“I’m pretty focused on playing on good, consistent, hard football. I’m a firm believer in controlling what you can control.” Sims now has the task of retaining his Origin jumper after a difficult start to the 2022 season. Meanwhile, his St George Illawarra teammates will be desperate for the 32-year-old to find form before his departure to the Storm on a one-year deal for 2023.
That's true but those other forwards not going better than Sims aren't on 800k a year.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
That's true but those other forwards not going better than Sims aren't on 800k a year.
If Melbourne were going to be picking up the remainder of his salary, it would probably have been a good idea to let him go immediately.

Eric

Staff

Dramatic fallout between Aaron Woods and Michael Maguire​

St George Illawarra Dragons prop Aaron Woods will have a point to prove to Michael Maguire being denied a potential homecoming​

Expect Aaron Woods to play with some extra motivation come Sunday after Michael Maguire blocked a potential homecoming for the ex-Tigers captain. Woods looked set to re-join the Tigers this season after moving on from Cronulla. His final obstacle was Maguire, with Woods having strong support from elements within the club for him to return home. Woods held initial talks with then head of football Adam Hartigan last year when the competition was forced to move to Queensland because of Covid-19.

A meeting with Maguire followed – with the Tigers and Woods’ old club Cronulla staying in the same hotel in Brisbane — but, for whatever reason, the Tigers coach opted against pursuing Woods, who played 146 games for the club. Woods left that meeting confident he would be returning home. Instead nothing eventuated.

Woods linked with the Dragons for this year and has an option to stay at the club next season after the Storm, Broncos and Sea Eagles asked about his services. The ex-Kangaroos and NSW prop gets an opportunity to show Maguire what he missed when the Tigers and Dragons square off on Sunday. There are still elements at the Tigers who would love Woods, 31, to have a swansong at the club.

Whatever one thinks of Woods, I much prefer him on the books than Tigers superstar prop Tamou.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup

Dramatic fallout between Aaron Woods and Michael Maguire​

St George Illawarra Dragons prop Aaron Woods will have a point to prove to Michael Maguire being denied a potential homecoming​

Expect Aaron Woods to play with some extra motivation come Sunday after Michael Maguire blocked a potential homecoming for the ex-Tigers captain. Woods looked set to re-join the Tigers this season after moving on from Cronulla. His final obstacle was Maguire, with Woods having strong support from elements within the club for him to return home. Woods held initial talks with then head of football Adam Hartigan last year when the competition was forced to move to Queensland because of Covid-19.

A meeting with Maguire followed – with the Tigers and Woods’ old club Cronulla staying in the same hotel in Brisbane — but, for whatever reason, the Tigers coach opted against pursuing Woods, who played 146 games for the club. Woods left that meeting confident he would be returning home. Instead nothing eventuated.

Woods linked with the Dragons for this year and has an option to stay at the club next season after the Storm, Broncos and Sea Eagles asked about his services. The ex-Kangaroos and NSW prop gets an opportunity to show Maguire what he missed when the Tigers and Dragons square off on Sunday. There are still elements at the Tigers who would love Woods, 31, to have a swansong at the club.

Whatever one thinks of Woods, I much prefer him on the books than Tigers superstar prop Tamou.
Some coaches just can't admit they made a mistake. Maguire - Tamou and Griffin - Mbye for example.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
Due to the disappointing form of Woods, Burgess and Lawrie, the team really needs Michael Molo and Jaiyden Hunt step up.

Players outside of the Top 30. Here’s who is on your team’s radar​

ST GEORGE ILLAWARRA DRAGONS

Versatile forward Jaiyden Hunt made his debut as soon as players outside of the Top 30 could play last season and went on to play three more games in the top grade. The 23-year-old, who is now on a development deal after joining the Dragons on a train-and-trial last season, could come into the mix if injuries hit the squad and wouldn’t look out of place. Hunt has slotted in at prop, second row and lock in NSW Cup this season. While he’s still got a little bit of improvement to go defensively, Hunt has proven to be a handful in attack.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Well he is big enough to play prop but time will tell if good enough. It looks like a disaster for our prop recruitment officer Alvares, Woods, Burgess we have an issue at starting prop. Lawrie has demonstrated he is better off the bench so until the other starting prop is marked in we will struggle

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
Let's get Lodge that will helps us this week now he no longer plays for Warriors and in the near future
This team really, really, really needs another prop to start with Molo. The good news is that M. Molo showed he belongs in first grade. He'd be perfect to bring on to give De Belin a rest and then stay on for probably the remainder of the match.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Let's get Lodge that will helps us this week now he no longer plays for Warriors and in the near future
He still has not been snapped up by anyone. Is he a chance to wear the RedV next year. Surely we have sufficient under the salary cap with all our bargain basement buys this year and the loss of Sims who is on 700k. We need another established but not archaic prop like Woods in our engine room. Lawrie is enthusiastic and a hard worker but lacks the size of the big poppers.

Last edited:

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
He still has not been snapped up by anyone. Is he chance to wear the RedV next year. Surely we have sufficient under the salary cap with all our bargain basement buys this year and the loss of Sims who is on 700k. We need another established but not archaic prop like Woods in our engine room. Lawrie is enthusiastic and a hard worker but lacks the size of the big poppers.
And the loss of Vaughan who was on massive overs last year along with of course Corey Norman.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
A lot of the mess we are in now can be laid at the feet of Paul McGregor.
I always liked Mary.. as a footballer and coach as he bled red and white. I never did see what was so wrong with his coaching like I can with Griffin. Betting we win more games under him than we will under this coach.

Last edited:

Eric

Staff
Dont get me started. Sacked for putting on a BBQ for his mates. A knee jerk reaction by our board. Slap him with a fine.. dont leave us without our biggest metre eater.
I agree it was harsh. Not on the club but on the government and its Covid infatuation. Why is it ok for players to play a contact sport with each other and do training and all that but not have a BBQ. But it turned out well for the club. Vaughan was on massive overs. He was making the metres before the "JDB thing" but for the last 2 years, especially the last year, he had become a shadow of the player he was.