2023 Pack

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
They'll be there in September but October? I doubt it but I won't bet the house on itšŸ˜³. I liked what I saw from M. Molo in the trials.
Molo in my view needs a attitude adjustment if we can get him right mentally he will be a big plus for us

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
Molo in my view needs a attitude adjustment if we can get him right mentally he will be a big plus for us
I agree that's the case for F. Molo. Not sure about M. Molo. Only seen the latter play twice and was impressive on both occasions.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup

ST GEORGE ILLAWARRA DRAGONS MAKE BIRD AN OFFER

Reports are that St George Illawarra have tabled a $1.1 million two-year deal in their bid to retain star backrower Jack Bird. The 26-year-old, who is off-contract at the end of the season, recently tested the market but the Red V has set about securing his signature according to the Sydney Morning Herald.

It comes after Bird reportedly met Brad Arthur in February as Eels begin their hunt to replace Isaiah Papaliā€™i ā€” who will join the Tigers next season. Birdā€™s manager was reportedly seeking a $2 million three-year deal for the former Broncos player but the Dragons arenā€™t willing to grant his wishes due to his history of injuries.

The merger club are also a year short of what Bird is looking for and the NRLā€™s newest franchise could swoop. The Dolphins are reportedly interested in signing the gun player, who can ply his trade at five-eighth, centre as well as the backrow. However according to sources close to the star, Bird is reluctant to move to Queensland after a turbulent spell at the Broncos.

Young gun Talatau Amone is another star the Dragons have reportedly set about re-signing after rumours suggested the Dolphins could attempt to lure the talent. Currently no official offer can be tabled by another club until November 1 but the Dragons will look to lock him up prior to that date.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
This story is starting to get a lot of momentum. At first I just thought it was an unfounded rumour. Not sure how I feel about it. If it were Wests Tigers or North Queensland, I'd say let him go and clear up some salary cap space but don't like the idea of him going to a heavyweight club.

Billy Slater hails mooted switch of Tariq Sims from St George Illawarra to injury-ravaged Melbourne Storm​

Melbourne's legendary ex-fullback Billy Slater has praised the mooted switch of Dragons back-rower Tariq Sims to the injury-ravaged Storm. Melbourne coach Craig Bellamy confirmed in his post-match press conference on Saturday night that the Storm was interested in securing Sims, after co-captain Christian Welch suffered a season-ending Achilles rupture in a 26-16 win over Wests Tigers.

Melbourne on Saturday lost Welch, Brandon Smith (hand) and George Jennings (knee) in a dreadful night on the injury front. The Storm's forward stocks will further deplete when Jesse and Kenny Bromwich, Felise Kaufusi and Smith depart the club at the end of the season. Sims' future at St George Illawarra is uncertain after the club told him late in the 2021 season that he was unlikely to have his contract extended beyond 2022 and that he was free to leave before its expiry.

The NSW State of Origin second-rower was then left out of the Dragons' season-opening clash with the Warriors. Speaking on new Wide World of Sports show Billy's Breakdown, Slater said Sims would be "a huge inclusion" for Melbourne. "He's an Origin player, he's an aggressive forward and I'm sure there'd be 15 other teams that'd want Tariq Sims on their books," Slater said. "If the space is available on the cap I'm sure the Storm would explore that." Slater described the Storm's clash with the Tigers as "a cruel night injury-wise".

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
This story is starting to get a lot of momentum. At first I just thought it was an unfounded rumour. Not sure how I feel about it. If it were Wests Tigers or North Queensland, I'd say let him go and clear up some salary cap space but don't like the idea of him going to a heavyweight club.

Slater hails mooted switch of Tariq Sims from St George Illawarra Dragons to injury-ravaged Melbourne Storm​

Melbourne Storm legend Billy Slater has praised the mooted switch of Dragons back-rower Tariq Sims to the injury-ravaged Storm. Melbourne coach Craig Bellamy confirmed in his post-match press conference on Saturday night that the Storm was interested in securing Sims, after co-captain Christian Welch suffered a season-ending Achilles rupture in a 26-16 win over Wests Tigers.

Melbourne on Saturday lost Welch, Brandon Smith (hand) and George Jennings (knee) in a dreadful night on the injury front. The Storm's forward stocks will further deplete when Jesse and Kenny Bromwich, Felise Kaufusi and Smith depart the club at the end of the season. Sims' future at St George Illawarra is uncertain after the club told him late in the 2021 season that he was unlikely to have his contract extended beyond 2022 and that he was free to leave before its expiry.

The NSW State of Origin second-rower was then left out of the Dragons' season-opening clash with the Warriors. Speaking on new Wide World of Sports show Billy's Breakdown, Slater said Sims would be "a huge inclusion" for Melbourne. "He's an Origin player, he's an aggressive forward and I'm sure there'd be 15 other teams that'd want Tariq Sims on their books," Slater said. "If the space is available on the cap I'm sure the Storm would explore that." Slater described the Storm's clash with the Tigers as "a cruel night injury-wise".
Surely the club won't let him go without Melbourne picking up the remainder of his salary for this year but how the hell would Melbourne have space in the salary cap for that? Nope, won't be happening.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
Surely the club won't let him go without Melbourne picking up the remainder of his salary for this year but how the hell would Melbourne have space in the salary cap for that? Nope, won't be happening.
So called back ending of contracts would make it possible but Melbourne tend to let players go at the twilight of their careers. If anything, I think they'd be more likely to sign Kerr, Burns, Gosiewski, Ford or Faamausili.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
No surprise here. Surely the club would only consider letting him to go to Melbourne if they were picking up 100% of his remaining contract. I think he's going to get recalled in about an hour. Personally, I'd bring both Burgess and Sims in for Woods (due to injury) and Kerr (due to poor form)

Hook declares St George Illawarra enforcer Sims isnā€™t going anywhere...... this season​

ST GEORGE ILLAWARA DRAGONS coach Anthony Griffin has confirmed NSW State of Origin backrower Tariq Sims will remain in the Red V for season 2022. Sims, 32, has reportedly agreed to join the Melbourne Storm for 2023 and beyond but St George Illawarra still view the Blues backrower as a valued member of the Red V.

The Dragons told Sims late last year he was free to look around for 2023 when his current contract finishes sparking interest among rival clubs the Melbourne Storm, Parramatta and premiers Penrith. But St George Illawarra want the Blues enforcer - who missed three quarters of the pre-season due to an ongoing calf issue - to see out the remaining seven months of his existing deal. ā€œWhatever happens next year is out of our hands but from our point of view Tariq will be at the Dragons for the rest of this season,ā€ Griffin told Fox League.

Sims played NSW Cup for the Dragons over the weekend along with Red V new recruit George Burgess but with front rower Aaron Woods picking up a hamstring injury the Blues backrower is in line for an NRL recall for Friday nightā€™s blockbuster against premiers Penrith. Burgess is expected to be picked in the St George Illawarra 17 when the team lists are announced at 4pm Tuesday but Sims may still be recalled into the Dragons top side in the lead-up to Friday night.

Sims is currently on a deal worth around $650,000-a-season with the Melbourne Storm believed to only have around $200,000 available in the clubā€™s salary cap for this season. Given all the unforeseen curve balls with players potentially being ruled out due to COVID protocols there is no advantage for the Dragons in releasing a player of Sims talent early.

Red V prop Woods is ruled out of the Dragons round two clash with Melbourne but is rated some chance of making a return in round three for the local derby against his ex-club the Cronulla Sharks. Dragons young gun Jayden Sullivan is also recovering from back-to-back pre-season hamstring injuries but is on target to be available for selection for round three or round four.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Agree they were never going to be able to pick him up and stay under salary cap. Agree again he will be picked off the bench, wouldn't be surprised to see Burgess with him

Eric

Staff

Jack Bird reveals Dragons snub, shuts door on switch to Dolphins​

St George Illawarra star Jack Birdā€™s NRL future remains up in the air​

Off-contract St George Illawarra star Jack Bird has shut the door on a move to Redcliffe but has confirmed interest from rivals Parramatta for season 2023. On Wednesday, Bird revealed the Dragons pulled a two-year deal late last year after rushing the 26-year-old into making a decision. Bird also denied reports that a new deal for the same term, worth $1.1 million, was currently on the table. ā€œTo be honest, I havenā€™t been tabled an offer,ā€ Bird said.

ā€œThe talk about dollars, they offered me at the end of last year and only gave me a few days to decide and I told them I need more time to decide ā€¦ they only gave me four or five days to make a decision on my future and I wasnā€™t ready to make the decision at that time and then they pulled the offer. ā€œI didnā€™t have an offer to look forward to, the talks are back in action now. Iā€™ve made it clear I want to stay here in the long run. I want to be a Dragons player in the future.

ā€œHopefully we can make a decision soon, in the next few weeks.ā€ Since the Dragons pulled their initial offer, Bird has had a number of discussions about his playing future with Dolphins coach and mentor Wayne Bennett and Eels coach Brad Arthur. The Eels view Bird as a potential replacement for backrower Isaiah Papaliā€™I, who has agreed to join the Wests Tigers from next season.

ā€œIā€™m off contract at the end of this year,ā€ Bird said. ā€œI have spoken to BA [Arthur] but for context, there werenā€™t any offers or anything like that. ā€œIā€™ve only spoken to BA once, probably at the start of January, that was two months ago. If I was going to go there, Iā€™d be there by now. ā€œLike every player, they talk to different clubs. It was just interest, that has gone cold. ā€œ[The chat] was just where he sees me playing and that kind of stuff. They are losing Papaliā€™i, so obviously in that edge back row position.

ā€œBut it wasnā€™t anything too serious, it was just a catch up chat on the phone. It wasnā€™t like ā€˜I really want you to come hereā€™. I heard they were interested so I had a chat with him. Iā€™m not hiding anything, there are no secrets.ā€ Bird also put a line through any potential reunion with Bennett at Redcliffe next season, preferring to stay ā€˜close to familyā€™ in Wollongong. The two have maintained a close relationship since working together at the Brisbane Broncos back in 2018.

ā€œI keep in contact with Wayne, but nothing to do with the Dolphins,ā€ Bird said. ā€œI think he knows that Iā€™m not keen on going back to Queensland. And, to be honest, me talking to Wayne or BA [Arthur], is me being nice. I donā€™t want to ruin my reputation. ā€œYou have to try and get the best deal you can get. Iā€™m getting older now, had a few injuries. Iā€™m just trying to get my future sorted and get my security sorted.

Bird, who joined the Dragons last season after struggling with injuries at Red Hill, also moved to knock back claims his manager is seeking a three-year, $2 million deal with his signature and that the deal the Red V offered last year didnā€™t meet his asking price ā€œIt wasnā€™t anything to do with money,ā€ he said. ā€œWhat came out in the [media] made me look like I was selfish and greedy with money.ā€

Well, I guess that makes it pretty much certain. Bird is leaving. Not overly concerned. A few highly regarded young backrowers coming through and expected to be in the top 30 next year.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup

Jack Bird reveals Dragons snub, shuts door on switch to Dolphins​

St George Illawarra star Jack Birdā€™s NRL future remains up in the air​

Off-contract St George Illawarra star Jack Bird has shut the door on a move to Redcliffe but has confirmed interest from rivals Parramatta for season 2023. On Wednesday, Bird revealed the Dragons pulled a two-year deal late last year after rushing the 26-year-old into making a decision. Bird also denied reports that a new deal for the same term, worth $1.1 million, was currently on the table. ā€œTo be honest, I havenā€™t been tabled an offer,ā€ Bird said.

ā€œThe talk about dollars, they offered me at the end of last year and only gave me a few days to decide and I told them I need more time to decide ā€¦ they only gave me four or five days to make a decision on my future and I wasnā€™t ready to make the decision at that time and then they pulled the offer. ā€œI didnā€™t have an offer to look forward to, the talks are back in action now. Iā€™ve made it clear I want to stay here in the long run. I want to be a Dragons player in the future.

ā€œHopefully we can make a decision soon, in the next few weeks.ā€ Since the Dragons pulled their initial offer, Bird has had a number of discussions about his playing future with Dolphins coach and mentor Wayne Bennett and Eels coach Brad Arthur. The Eels view Bird as a potential replacement for backrower Isaiah Papaliā€™I, who has agreed to join the Wests Tigers from next season.

ā€œIā€™m off contract at the end of this year,ā€ Bird said. ā€œI have spoken to BA [Arthur] but for context, there werenā€™t any offers or anything like that. ā€œIā€™ve only spoken to BA once, probably at the start of January, that was two months ago. If I was going to go there, Iā€™d be there by now. ā€œLike every player, they talk to different clubs. It was just interest, that has gone cold. ā€œ[The chat] was just where he sees me playing and that kind of stuff. They are losing Papaliā€™i, so obviously in that edge back row position.

ā€œBut it wasnā€™t anything too serious, it was just a catch up chat on the phone. It wasnā€™t like ā€˜I really want you to come hereā€™. I heard they were interested so I had a chat with him. Iā€™m not hiding anything, there are no secrets.ā€ Bird also put a line through any potential reunion with Bennett at Redcliffe next season, preferring to stay ā€˜close to familyā€™ in Wollongong. The two have maintained a close relationship since working together at the Brisbane Broncos back in 2018.

ā€œI keep in contact with Wayne, but nothing to do with the Dolphins,ā€ Bird said. ā€œI think he knows that Iā€™m not keen on going back to Queensland. And, to be honest, me talking to Wayne or BA [Arthur], is me being nice. I donā€™t want to ruin my reputation. ā€œYou have to try and get the best deal you can get. Iā€™m getting older now, had a few injuries. Iā€™m just trying to get my future sorted and get my security sorted.

Bird, who joined the Dragons last season after struggling with injuries at Red Hill, also moved to knock back claims his manager is seeking a three-year, $2 million deal with his signature and that the deal the Red V offered last year didnā€™t meet his asking price ā€œIt wasnā€™t anything to do with money,ā€ he said. ā€œWhat came out in the [media] made me look like I was selfish and greedy with money.ā€

Well, I guess that makes it pretty much certain. Bird is leaving. Not overly concerned. A few highly regarded young backrowers coming through and expected to be in the top 30 next year.
Not only next year but I believe he'll provide more benefit to the team coming off the bench this year. Sims, jodragon40 jodragon40's favourite, Gosiewski or McGuire or Fuimaono when their suspensions are over should start.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Not only next year but I believe he'll provide more benefit to the team coming off the bench this year. Sims, jodragon40 jodragon40's favourite, Gosiewski or McGuire or Fuimaono when their suspensions are over should start.
My favourite forwards are Lawrie simply because he knows every week someone much bigger and better is going to smash him but he keeps getting up and Debelin he is a wonderful tackler

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup

Jack Bird reveals St George Illawarra snub, shuts door on switch to Dolphins​

Dragons star Jack Birdā€™s NRL future remains up in the air​

Off-contract St George Illawarra utility Jack Bird has shut the door on a move to Redcliffe but has confirmed interest from rivals Parramatta for season 2023. On Wednesday, Bird revealed the Dragons pulled a two-year deal late last year after rushing the 26-year-old into making a decision. Bird also denied reports that a new deal for the same term, worth $1.1 million, was currently on the table. ā€œTo be honest, I havenā€™t been tabled an offer,ā€ Bird said.

It's unfortuante if a local junior feels hard done by. I wish it wasn't so but as much as it may hurt, we need to be ruthless. Look at the way Roosters kicked Mitchell Pearce to the curb or how Melbourne got rid of Will Chambers. Penrith sent half a dozen highly rated juniors packing. This is what we need even if it means Jack Bird doing his thing at another club.

His problem is that he's a good player in 4 or 5 different positions but doesn't excel in any. He might excel at lock but we have De Belin for another 2 years after this year. I know Parramatta played Ryan matterson at lock last round but he is on the outer at there so maybe instead of being disappointed, Bird should look at it as a good opportunity.