2023 Review

Eric

Staff
Please add your review of the following in alphabetical order. Ratings = 10 highest, 0 lowest. Can copy the following and then add the content.
Personnel
Rating
Comment
Talatau Amone
Jack Bird
Billy Burns
Ryan Carr
Ryan Couchman
Toby Couchman
Jack de Belin
Mathew Feagai
Max Feagai
Ben Hunt
Anthony Griffin
Jaiyden Hunt
jodragon40 jodragon40
Josh Kerr
Blake Lawrie
Jacob Liddle
Zac Lomax
Tautau Moga
Francis Molo
Michael Molo
Connor Muhleisen
Zane Musgrove
Moses Mbye
Mikaele Ravalawa
Tyrell Sloan
Jaydn Su'A
Moses Suli
Jayden Sullivan
Ryan Webb
Aaron Woods

Eric

Staff
PersonnelRatingComment
Talatau Amone
4​
Didn't do much good or bad. More bad then good so he gets below 5.
Jack Bird
4​
What happened to him? Astonishing Griffin didn't address Bird's defence. Attack was ok.
Billy Burns
4​
Tackling machine except in the last game when he became a tackle missing machine. Offers little in attack.
Ryan Carr
4​
The team improved under his watch but not enough to get a pass. Still no word on next year's contract.
Ryan Couchman
6​
Good in defence and takes the ball forward consistently despite being 19 and playing in the middle.
Toby Couchman
6​
As above. Nothing between the two.
Jack de Belin
8​
Tacking well known. Plays long minutes. Passes & takes the ball forward. Very few mistakes. Would be 9 if not suspended for 4 games.
Mathew Feagai
3​
Runs the ball reasonably well. Defence, especially positional is a sick joke.
Max Feagai
2​
Picks up where his brothers positional defence left off but Max's one on one defence is even worse.
Ben Hunt
5​
Lost a point due to his well publicised "issues" around Origin period. Other than that, not bad or relaly good.
Anthony Griffin
1​
Where to begin? Pass. Count himself lucky he didn't get 0.
Jaiyden Hunt
3​
Good prop for about 5 min a game. Literally.
@
jodragon40
jodragon40
7​
Consistent again. Fired up early on in the season but less so after Griffin was punted.
Josh Kerr
3​
Good riddence!
Blake Lawrie
7​
Hardly going to stike fear into opposition but keeps on going forward. Gets smashed but gets up and goes again.
Jacob Liddle
6​
Our best hooker. Hardly a star but he goes ok.
Zac Lomax
7​
Maybe 7 flatters him a little. Specially after Griffin, he improved a lot. Defence has always been good.
Tautau Moga
4​
The slowest winger in the history of the NRL but went ok considering that.
Francis Molo
4​
Another disappointing year. Available to be signed from Nov 1. No club seems to be very interested.
Michael Molo
5​
Better than his brother. Pass mark. Solid and "workman-like".
Connor Muhleisen
3​
Had his chance. Didn't grab it. Too slow to make it in the NRL.
Zane Musgrove
4​
Wasn't bad. Not sure why he spent most of the year in the NSW Cup but hardly good either.
Moses Mbye
3​
Filled in ok in varioius spots but not well enough to be wanted at the Dragons or any other club.
Mikaele Ravalawa
5​
Everyone knows his hard running nd try scoring. Unfortunately lets probably even more tries in by constantly coming off his wing. Lucky to get a 5.
Tyrell Sloan
3​
Our best attacking player which makes it so annoying how he consistently refuses to get involved. Defence is stupidly bad.
Jaydn Su'A
7​
Probably our second best. Nothing between him and Lawrie. He can't help being injured.
Moses Suli
6​
Runs hard, not many mistakes. Doesn't let anyone down but hardly a game breaker either.
Jayden Sullivan
4​
Had multiple chances. Wasn't bad or good. Just misses a pass mark.
Ryan Webb
2​
Maybe 2 is too harsh. Despite the on-field issues, club is profitable, as far as I know. Should have been looking to recruit Flanno rather than Ryles from the start.
Aaron Woods
3​
Tried hard but was passed his best about 5 years ago.
Added 1 to jodragon40 jodragon40's rating for the early scoop on "some" training returning to Kogarah.

Why do NRL players hate The Gong:unsure:?

Last edited:

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
PersonnelRatingComment
Talatau Amone4Disappointing
Jack Bird3Very disappointing.
Billy Burns4
Ryan Carr4
Ryan Couchman7Impressed in limited chances.
Toby Couchman7Impressed in limited chances.
Jack de Belin8
Mathew Feagai2
Max Feagai2
Ben Hunt4Lost 2 or 3 points for his Origin period "issues".
Anthony Griffin2Recruitment and retention was incredibly bad. Held the wrong players to account. Dropping Zac but keeping Bird. Bizarre.
Jaiyden Hunt3Not NRL standard.
@
jodragon40
jodragon40
7Strong for most of the year in attack and defence. Has the tendency to fire up and then simmer right down. One of our best.
Josh Kerr4Should be much better for someone his size and as mobile he is.
Blake Lawrie7Consistently good.
Jacob Liddle5Our best hooker but only average at best.
Zac Lomax6Was only ever ok.
Tautau Moga5Didn't let anyone down in his limited chances.
Francis Molo3Poor
Michael Molo5Average
Connor Muhleisen3Not NRL standard.
Zane Musgrove5Didn't let anyone down or play well.
Moses Mbye3Bye
Mikaele Ravalawa4Let more tries in than he scored.
Tyrell Sloan3Defence = 1. Involvement = 2. Attack = 9. So if 5 is a pass: 9-4 = 5. 5-3 = 2. I'll be kind and give him + 1 so 3.
Jaydn Su'A7Good in attack and defence. Not great in either.
Moses Suli6Same as Zac.
Jayden Sullivan5I thought he was unlucky not to be ahead of Amone.
Ryan Webb2Should have moved on Griffin at the end of last year.
Aaron Woods3Agree he passed his best a long time ago.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Our best attacking player which makes it so annoying how he consistently refuses to get involved. Attack is stupidly bad.
Please clarify. You say he is our best attacking player but then question why he doesnt get more involved, then say his attack is stupidly bad. You cant downgrade his score because of lack of involvement as he clearly wants to get his hands on the ball but can not as he is not a halve. The rare times he stole first/second receiver he added spark to the back line, then it stopped. Was he told to stay out? Imho, he has the best ball skills, vision and game awareness in the side. His one and only flaw now is his defense, but he does not lack intent, only attitude, confidence and size.

Last edited:

Eric

Staff
Please clarify. You say he is our best attacking player but then question why he doesnt get more involved, then say his attack is stupidly bad.

My answer to this is he wants to get more involved in play making but seems to be stopped, only times he can get his hands on the ball ball is when he steals dummy half. The few times he stole first/second receiver he added spark to the back line. To be fair this preview should involve scores for both attack and defense, as I have already posted.
Typo. Meant "defence".

No need to offer comments if you don't want but please add your rating from 0~10.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
PersonnelRatingComment
Talatau Amone
4​
Didn't do much good or bad. More bad then good so he gets below 5.
Jack Bird
4​
What happened to him? Astonishing Griffin didn't address Bird's defence. Attack was ok.
Billy Burns
4​
Tackling machine except in the last game when he became a tackle missing machine. Offers little in attack.
Ryan Carr
4​
The team improved under his watch but not enough to get a pass. Still no word on next year's contract.
Ryan Couchman
6​
Good in defence and takes the ball forward consistently despite being 19 and playing in the middle.
Toby Couchman
6​
As above. Nothing between the two.
Jack de Belin
8​
Tacking well known. Plays long minutes. Passes & takes the ball forward. Very few mistakes. Would be 9 if not suspended for 4 games.
Mathew Feagai
3​
Runs the ball reasonably well. Defence, especially positional is a sick joke.
Max Feagai
2​
Picks up where his brothers positional defence left off but Max's one on one defence is even worse.
Ben Hunt
5​
Lost a point due to his well publicised "issues" around Origin period. Other than that, not bad or relaly good.
Anthony Griffin
1​
Where to begin? Pass. Count himself lucky he didn't get 0.
Jaiyden Hunt
3​
Good prop for about 5 min a game. Literally.
@
jodragon40
jodragon40
6​
Consistent again. Fired up early on in the season but less so after Griffin was punted.
Josh Kerr
3​
Good riddence!
Blake Lawrie
7​
Hardly going to stike fear into opposition but keeps on going forward. Gets smashed but gets up and goes again.
Jacob Liddle
6​
Our best hooker. Hardly a star but he goes ok.
Zac Lomax
7​
Maybe 7 flatters him a little. Specially after Griffin, he improved a lot. Defence has always been good.
Tautau Moga
4​
The slowest winger in the history of the NRL but went ok considering that.
Francis Molo
4​
Another disappointing year. Available to be signed from Nov 1. No club seems to be very interested.
Michael Molo
5​
Better than his brother. Pass mark. Solid and "workman-like".
Connor Muhleisen
3​
Had his chance. Didn't grab it. Too slow to make it in the NRL.
Zane Musgrove
4​
Wasn't bad. Not sure why he spent most of the year in the NSW Cup but hardly good either.
Moses Mbye
3​
Filled in ok in varioius spots but not well enough to be wanted at the Dragons or any other club.
Mikaele Ravalawa
5​
Everyone knows his hard running nd try scoring. Unfortunately lets probably even more tries in by constantly coming off his wing. Lucky to get a 5.
Tyrell Sloan
3​
Our best attacking player which makes it so annoying how he consistently refuses to get involved. Defence is stupidly bad.
Jaydn Su'A
7​
Probably our second best. Nothing between him and Lawrie. He can't help being injured.
Moses Suli
6​
Runs hard, not many mistakes. Doesn't let anyone down but hardly a game breaker either.
Jayden Sullivan
4​
Had multiple chances. Wasn't bad or good. Just misses a pass mark.
Ryan Webb
2​
Maybe 2 is too harsh. Despite the on-field issues, club is profitable, as far as I know. Should have been looking to recruit Flanno rather than Ryles from the start.
Aaron Woods
3​
Tried hard but was passed his best about 5 years ago.
Seems about right but I'm more critical of jodragon40 jodragon40. Connor was like Billy Burns. Tackled his heart out but not much good in attack. I'm going to give him a 5. Just below Liddle. But no, not good enough for a new contract.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Please add your review of the following in alphabetical order. Ratings = 10 highest, 0 lowest. Can copy the following and then add the content.
Personnel
Rating
Comment
Talatau Amone
6​
Is improving in all facets. Like Sloan he lacks confidence and attitude. Additionly not easy playing your best footy when you dont know if you have a future.
Jack Bird
3​
Ordinary in attack and defense.
Billy Burns5Lacks consistency.
Ryan Carr6We played better under his tutilage.
Ryan Couchman6Not quite the quality of his brother at this stage.
Toby Couchman7Was playing the house down then his minutes were cut and then he was dropped. Baffling.
Jack de Belin9The clubs soul. Never has a bad game.
Mathew Feagai2The worst reader of a defense I have a ever seen. Offense middling but lacks pace.
Max Feagai3Did not have the games to impress one way or the other. Looked a better player than his brother from what I saw of him in Ressies.
Ben Hunt5Mediocre on and off the paddock
Anthony Griffin4We have already said everything about this bloke.
Jaiyden Hunt5Lacks an engine to go with his size.
jodragon40 jodragon40Like most of his analysis, but dont always agree with his opinion. Also jealous of him as he goes on too many holidays. ;)
Josh Kerr4Another that lacked the energy for his size.
Blake Lawrie8If Jack is the soul Blocka is the heart of the club.
Jacob Liddle6Disappointing second half of the season.
Zac Lomax8So much talent yet he is the bloke that receives the worst ball in our backline. Still manages to run average 150m.
Tautau Moga4the slowest back in the game.
Francis Molo6Was playing at 4 rating until the last 8 or so games then lifted his workrate.
Michael Molo6Like him to get more mins next season. Has power and leg drive for a little bloke.
Connor Muhleisen5great defender but the rest of his play is not FG standard.
Zane Musgrove6Another treated poorly by both coaches
Moses Mbye5E for effort but lacked class.
Mikaele Ravalawa4The second worst reader of a defense. His size would be best served coming off the bench late against a tired team.
Tyrell Sloan6Has so much natural talent and will deliver his best with a change in attitude, good coaching and another 5 kilos.
Jaydn Su'A7One of our few consistent forwards.
Moses Suli6Prefer to see him in the pack next season
Jayden Sullivan6Treated poorly like most of our juniors. Our loss is the Tigers gain.
Ryan Webb2all BOD/FO should get a 2 for their ineptness.
Aaron Woods5Clearly past his best but still put in every game

Last edited:

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
PersonnelRatingComment
Talatau Amone5
Jack Bird3
Billy Burns4
Ryan Carr3
Ryan Couchman7
Toby Couchman7
Jack de Belin8
Mathew Feagai3
Max Feagai2
Ben Hunt5
Anthony Griffin2
Jaiyden Hunt4
@
jodragon40
jodragon40
Josh Kerr3
Blake Lawrie7
Jacob Liddle5
Zac Lomax7
Tautau Moga4Too slow to play everyweek but was honestly about equal to Rava and better than Feagai in his 3 or 4 games.
Francis Molo5
Michael Molo6
Connor Muhleisen5
Zane Musgrove5
Moses Mbye4
Mikaele Ravalawa4
Tyrell Sloan5
Jaydn Su'A7
Moses Suli6
Jayden Sullivan5
Ryan Webb2
Aaron Woods5

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
PersonnelRatingComment
Talatau Amone5Had issues breaking the law affecting him
Jack Bird5Runs like a crab
Billy Burns4Reserve grade
Ryan Carr4Didn't stamp his own
Ryan Couchman7Permanent future
Toby Couchman7as above keeper
Jack de Belin7Had disciplinary problems
Mathew Feagai3Reserves
Max Feagai2Let go
Ben Hunt7Tried hard took too much on and spat the dummy
Anthony Griffin2Stubborn old school coach
Jaiyden Hunt3Disappointing
@
jodragon40
jodragon40
9Without this bloke it would be a sedate forum. Needs more competition in the tipping arena
Josh Kerr5Disappointing
Blake Lawrie7Tried very hard
Jacob Liddle6Will improve
Zac Lomax7Tried his heart out against a coach that punished him
Tautau Moga5Scored everytime he played
Francis Molo5Disappointing
Michael Molo4Disappointing
Connor Muhleisen4Disappointing
Zane Musgrove4Didn't get a good crack
Moses Mbye4Hard being a utility player
Mikaele Ravalawa6Top try scorer now work on new defensive structures. Put a white line on his boot and tell him not to leave it
Tyrell Sloan5What a wonderful attacking talent, what a defensive dud
Jaydn Su'A7Tried hard needs help
Moses Suli6Was good when given early ball but is slow
Jayden Sullivan5Disappointing
Ryan Webb2Who
Aaron Woods2Disappointing

Edward

SGI Jersey Flegg
PersonnelRatingComment
Talatau Amone5Had issues breaking the law affecting him
Jack Bird5Runs like a crab
Billy Burns4Reserve grade
Ryan Carr4Didn't stamp his own
Ryan Couchman7Permanent future
Toby Couchman7as above keeper
Jack de Belin7Had disciplinary problems
Mathew Feagai3Reserves
Max Feagai2Let go
Ben Hunt7Tried hard took too much on and spat the dummy
Anthony Griffin2Stubborn old school coach
Jaiyden Hunt3Disappointing
@
jodragon40
jodragon40
9Without this bloke it would be a sedate forum. Needs more competition in the tipping arena
Josh Kerr5Disappointing
Blake Lawrie7Tried very hard
Jacob Liddle6Will improve
Zac Lomax7Tried his heart out against a coach that punished him
Tautau Moga5Scored everytime he played
Francis Molo5Disappointing
Michael Molo4Disappointing
Connor Muhleisen4Disappointing
Zane Musgrove4Didn't get a good crack
Moses Mbye4Hard being a utility player
Mikaele Ravalawa6Top try scorer now work on new defensive structures. Put a white line on his boot and tell him not to leave it
Tyrell Sloan5What a wonderful attacking talent, what a defensive dud
Jaydn Su'A7Tried hard needs help
Moses Suli6Was good when given early ball but is slow
Jayden Sullivan5Disappointing
Ryan Webb2Who
Aaron Woods2Disappointing
Apart from JoDragon getting 9, I agree with that exactly. JoDragon needs to be more consistent to get above 7.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Apart from JoDragon getting 9, I agree with that exactly. JoDragon needs to be more consistent to get above 7.
Hard marker, I have been consistently the winning tipster every year since joining. I mean how much more consistent can you be? Just asking for a friend

Edward

SGI Jersey Flegg
Hard marker, I have been consistently the winning tipster every year since joining. I mean how much more consistent can you be? Just asking for a friend
Yeah I don't cut any corners. You were solid in the tipping but were sometimes inconsistent in attack and missed your mark in defence.

I'm confident we can get you up to an 8 or 9 next season. I'm here to help.

Ryan

SGI Jersey Flegg
Who is JoDragon?
spy lol GIF by IFC

I'd rate the Couchman's 7s. Moga, due to his lack of speed was one of the most unfashionable wingers but he went well in the chances he got. Scored a few good tries and didn't rush in letting multiple tries down his side of the field. Giving him a 7.

Sloan is the hardest. Without his attack, might have been a hard team to watch. With his defence, it was sometime hard to watch. I'll go with 4.5. Just under a pass mark.
Why do NRL players hate The Gong:unsure:?
The players already Sydney based don't want to move. Fair enough.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
This is only excepts:

Flanagan opens up on his plan to turn the Dragons into a powerhouse​

BRAND POWER​

“When I was younger, the Dragons were the biggest brand in the game,” Flanagan told this column. “South Sydney were obviously up there also. But as far as the most iconic sporting brand in the country, the Red V of the Dragons were it". “I want us to get back to being the No.1 sporting organisation in the country. “I’m not going to go down the path of differentiating between St George or Illawarra, we are simply the Dragons.

HUNTING SEASON​

Will Ben Hunt - who had a release request rejected by the club in June - be at the club in 2024? “Depending on Ben’s representative football commitments, he’ll be at pre-season training, most likely mid-December,’’ Flanagan confirmed. “If he somehow misses the rep arena, he’ll be back mid-November. “I talk to Ben weekly. There were some issues Ben had with the club which we’ve ironed out. The only issue from a football perspective he had was that we weren’t winning.

RECRUITMENT​

So far, Flanagan has signed hard-running Rabbitohs forward Hame Sele and of course, his son Kyle from the Bulldogs, who brings value as a capable half or hooker. “I still want to get four or five players for next season,” Flanagan said. “And then come November 1, I‘ll go really hard again for 2025. “There’s players I’m talking to for 2025 that are big ones for us. They are elite players.

On coaching his son Kyle, Flanagan said: “I’m excited. We‘d tried to get a couple of other utilities to the club and it just didn’t work out. “I needed someone like Kyle, who has played 80 first-grade games. I know what I’m going to get out of him. If he’s not the best trainer there, he’ll be close to it.

WELL PLANNED​

The Dragons are in talks for a new head of recruitment of which will be charged with a strategy Flanagan says is key to the club’s sustained success. “Recruitment and retention has been ad hoc for too long here,” Flanagan said. “It’s a case of constantly looking for a new player to replace a player that the new coach wants. That’s no one individual’s fault, it’s merely a by-product of the constant change of coaches.

ATTITUDE​

Flanagan’s coaching is based on hard work. And he leads it. He famously helped buy a boxing ring on eBay for the Sharks gym when they were strapped for cash. Last Friday, the Dragons head coach was walking the aisles at Officeworks looking for a certain set of desks he wanted to add to the team meeting room. “When the team walks in for pre-season training, they will walk into a new gym area, new faces and a new beginning,” Flanagan said. “We’re going to be super fit, fast and powerful because we have two premiership-proven high performance leaders (in Andrew Gray and Dan Lawson).

TOUGH TYRELL​

Flanagan has confirmed previously he intends to give centre Zac Lomax a chance to train at fullback in the pre-season. But what he really hopes is to add a hardened layer of resilience into outstanding young fullback Tyrell Sloan. “I’ve spoken to Tyrell. My coaching style, my personality will help him get to where he needs to be. “I’m going to invest a lot more of my own time in Tyrell and also add programs where on a Wednesday he’ll go and do boxing or wrestling. “We’ve got a plan to expose him to some tough training.

LEGENDS​

Flanagan is calling it the ‘Dragons Way’; a statement and testimony in the way you walk, talk, train and play if you represent the Dragons. “I need to make sure our current players understand the history of the club,” Flanagan said.

LEADERSHIP​

If captain Hunt were ever unavailable this season, the Dragons found themselves struggling to name a replacement captain. Leadership is an issue that Flanagan is eager to replenish. “Benny has been a bit of a lone soldier for a while. When Jack de Belin was out, or Ben for that matter, the depth of leadership was lacking,” Flanagan said. “In the process of doing exit reviews with the players on Tuesday, I’ve learned I need to expose them to how to lead.

Edward

SGI Jersey Flegg
This is only excepts:

Flanagan opens up on his plan to turn the Dragons into a powerhouse​

BRAND POWER​

“When I was younger, the Dragons were the biggest brand in the game,” Flanagan told this column. “South Sydney were obviously up there also. But as far as the most iconic sporting brand in the country, the Red V of the Dragons were it". “I want us to get back to being the No.1 sporting organisation in the country. “I’m not going to go down the path of differentiating between St George or Illawarra, we are simply the Dragons.

HUNTING SEASON​

Will Ben Hunt - who had a release request rejected by the club in June - be at the club in 2024? “Depending on Ben’s representative football commitments, he’ll be at pre-season training, most likely mid-December,’’ Flanagan confirmed. “If he somehow misses the rep arena, he’ll be back mid-November. “I talk to Ben weekly. There were some issues Ben had with the club which we’ve ironed out. The only issue from a football perspective he had was that we weren’t winning.

RECRUITMENT​

So far, Flanagan has signed hard-running Rabbitohs forward Hame Sele and of course, his son Kyle from the Bulldogs, who brings value as a capable half or hooker. “I still want to get four or five players for next season,” Flanagan said. “And then come November 1, I‘ll go really hard again for 2025. “There’s players I’m talking to for 2025 that are big ones for us. They are elite players.

On coaching his son Kyle, Flanagan said: “I’m excited. We‘d tried to get a couple of other utilities to the club and it just didn’t work out. “I needed someone like Kyle, who has played 80 first-grade games. I know what I’m going to get out of him. If he’s not the best trainer there, he’ll be close to it.

WELL PLANNED​

The Dragons are in talks for a new head of recruitment of which will be charged with a strategy Flanagan says is key to the club’s sustained success. “Recruitment and retention has been ad hoc for too long here,” Flanagan said. “It’s a case of constantly looking for a new player to replace a player that the new coach wants. That’s no one individual’s fault, it’s merely a by-product of the constant change of coaches.

ATTITUDE​

Flanagan’s coaching is based on hard work. And he leads it. He famously helped buy a boxing ring on eBay for the Sharks gym when they were strapped for cash. Last Friday, the Dragons head coach was walking the aisles at Officeworks looking for a certain set of desks he wanted to add to the team meeting room. “When the team walks in for pre-season training, they will walk into a new gym area, new faces and a new beginning,” Flanagan said. “We’re going to be super fit, fast and powerful because we have two premiership-proven high performance leaders (in Andrew Gray and Dan Lawson).

TOUGH TYRELL​

Flanagan has confirmed previously he intends to give centre Zac Lomax a chance to train at fullback in the pre-season. But what he really hopes is to add a hardened layer of resilience into outstanding young fullback Tyrell Sloan. “I’ve spoken to Tyrell. My coaching style, my personality will help him get to where he needs to be. “I’m going to invest a lot more of my own time in Tyrell and also add programs where on a Wednesday he’ll go and do boxing or wrestling. “We’ve got a plan to expose him to some tough training.

LEGENDS​

Flanagan is calling it the ‘Dragons Way’; a statement and testimony in the way you walk, talk, train and play if you represent the Dragons. “I need to make sure our current players understand the history of the club,” Flanagan said.

LEADERSHIP​

If captain Hunt were ever unavailable this season, the Dragons found themselves struggling to name a replacement captain. Leadership is an issue that Flanagan is eager to replenish. “Benny has been a bit of a lone soldier for a while. When Jack de Belin was out, or Ben for that matter, the depth of leadership was lacking,” Flanagan said. “In the process of doing exit reviews with the players on Tuesday, I’ve learned I need to expose them to how to lead.
That is the first shot across the bow for Sloan. Basically telling the newspaper Sloan is soft and has to harden up if he wants to play first grade.