Charity Shield 2024

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
It is my understanding that Lomax will play fullback against the Tigers next week
Really. Feel Sloan was not given sufficient pre season time to get into shape. Still looks like a four iron. Dan Lawson was brought here to do precisely what Sloan needs, added bulk to his scrawny frame. Get him pumping iron for muscle growth on his upper body. We need to be seeing bulging biceps. How was his defense against the Rabbits. A bigger Tyrell Sloan will be more confident going into a tackle.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
A few mistakes but looked like our most likely with ball in hand.
Seems you are on your own. I did not see the match so cant comment one WAY 'T other. I will back you in the meantime as surely he is not a worse ball in hand man than the disloyal sook..

Dave03

SGI Jersey Flegg
I know I'm getting old and my eyesight may be fading but the defensive line speed wasn't good enough to stop the rabbits running 200m more than us in the first 40 min. I liked the look of Marschke, Flanagan failed to fill me with any confidence that he will grow into a 2nd play maker who can manage the game. Agree with your assessment of Tuitavake and Fifita. Liked the look of Tamale as well. Lomax is too good a player to be standing around on the chalk. There was no improvement by Sloan in bringing the ball back and that was farcical when Illias monstered him, Illias seriously.

Not sure where you're getting your stats from but according to foxsports 1st half stats were:
Possession: 53% Dragons
Run meters: 781m Dragons, 665m Souths
Post Contact Meters: 238m Dragons, 215m Souths
Tackled in opp 20: 13 Dragons, 10 Souths
Tackles: 136 Dragons, 123 Souths
Missed tackles: 2 Dragons, 10 Souths
Errors: 10 Dragons, 6 Souths
Penalties conceded: 1 Dragons, 3 Souths

All stats pretty much different to what you've observed & reported in the 1st half, which is telling since the 1st half score was 6-6.

My observation, we were very competitive & dominated vast periods of the 1st half against a Souths pack which was only missing Shaquai Mitchell. We had improved line speed in defence & leg speed in attack. We were poor in the attacking 20 by failing to capitalise on our numerous chances.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Not sure where you're getting your stats from but according to foxsports 1st half stats were:

All stats pretty much different to what you've observed & reported in the 1st half, which is telling since the 1st half score was 6-6.

My observation, we were very competitive & dominated vast periods of the 1st half against a Souths pack which was only missing Shaquai Mitchell. We had improved line speed in defence & leg speed in attack. We were poor in the attacking 20 by failing to capitalise on our numerous chances.
You know I have to throw my hands up in the air and apologise. I didn't pay enough attention to the top of the team stats page. I stupidly believed that because we were playing at Kogarah that we were the home team. When I scrolled up guess what, bloody Souths were first. My blue. I've been pulled up on it elsewhere as well. Forgive an old man.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup

Lack of creativity in the halves and Lomax on the wing was disastrous. Otherwise we'd have been 12~18 in front at halftime.

Dave03

SGI Jersey Flegg
You know I have to throw my hands up in the air and apologise. I didn't pay enough attention to the top of the team stats page. I stupidly believed that because we were playing at Kogarah that we were the home team. When I scrolled up guess what, bloody Souths were first. My blue. I've been pulled up on it elsewhere as well. Forgive an old man.

All good. It's only the trials, we expect improvement during the season ;). TBH nrl & foxsports do a pretty shit job at providing stats to fans. NRL.com only has basic stats while foxsports at least has it broken down into halves. Still not good enough from either organisations.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
All good. It's only the trials, we expect improvement during the season ;). TBH nrl & foxsports do a pretty shit job at providing stats to fans. NRL.com only has basic stats while foxsports at least has it broken down into halves. Still not good enough from either organisations.
Agree. I still stand by my defensive line speed not being as good. In my days we would replay the game that had been recorded on a camcorder by one of the assistant coaches, wack it into the vhs and slow motion, using my stop watch to ascertain when the ball had been picked up by the dummy half , thrown to the A receiver then when first contact with the defender was initiated. To my old eyes we could improve in that area. We look fitter, I assume the eventual goal is the team is a 80 min football team unlike previous years where we have struggled after 65 min. It will actually be interesting to watch next week's game against the Tigers that most pundits are calling as a dress rehearsal for the wooden spoon. I found that that in itself embarrassing but also as a coach a great incentive to challenge the players to prove the pundits wrong. I hope that the Lomax experiment has run its race, having such a talented skilful and aggressive player standing on the chalk to me is perplexing. I don't know him personally but from a old coach perspective he would definitely be in my top 2 list to have the c next to his name. Cheers

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
Agree. I still stand by my defensive line speed not being as good. In my days we would replay the game that had been recorded on a camcorder by one of the assistant coaches, wack it into the vhs and slow motion, using my stop watch to ascertain when the ball had been picked up by the dummy half , thrown to the A receiver then when first contact with the defender was initiated. To my old eyes we could improve in that area. We look fitter, I assume the eventual goal is the team is a 80 min football team unlike previous years where we have struggled after 65 min. It will actually be interesting to watch next week's game against the Tigers that most pundits are calling as a dress rehearsal for the wooden spoon. I found that that in itself embarrassing but also as a coach a great incentive to challenge the players to prove the pundits wrong. I hope that the Lomax experiment has run its race, having such a talented skilful and aggressive player standing on the chalk to me is perplexing. I don't know him personally but from a old coach perspective he would definitely be in my top 2 list to have the c next to his name. Cheers
In the second half, they just sopped wrestling. Allowing Souths to get a roll on every set.

AyiosYiorgos

SGI Jersey Flegg
In the second half, they just sopped wrestling. Allowing Souths to get a roll on every set.
Also noticeable from where i was sitting, that the players in defence would move about a meter or so and wait for the attackers, they forgot to keep coming to meet the attackers, thus enabling the souths forward easy yardage and a roll on, didnt also help having Egan and Tamale on the same side of the field trying to defend.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Also noticeable from where i was sitting, that the players in defence would move about a meter or so and wait for the attackers, they forgot to keep coming to meet the attackers, thus enabling the souths forward easy yardage and a roll on, didnt also help having Egan and Tamale on the same side of the field trying to defend.
Thank god I thought it was just me. Your a champion, thanks for the back up. Was that also noticeable in the 1st half at any time?

Dave03

SGI Jersey Flegg
Agree but to my ailing eyes I thought that after about 15 min we were slow moving up off our defensive line

Fair enough. I'm trying to be glass half full so really pleased with the 1st half & trying to forget the 2nd half 😂

I want to see a better performance v tigers in our 2nd trial. That will tell us a bit about the character of this team imo.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Fair enough. I'm trying to be glass half full so really pleased with the 1st half & trying to forget the 2nd half 😂

I want to see a better performance v tigers in our 2nd trial. That will tell us a bit about the character of this team imo.
Yes I did mentioned elsewhere that the pundits are calling this week's game a dress rehearsal for the wooden spoon.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
Defence in the second half was poor but in attack the Couchmans in particular were making metres and getting quick play the balls. But Kyle was making a fool of himself. Had no idea.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Defence in the second half was poor but in attack the Couchmans in particular were making metres and getting quick play the balls. But Kyle was making a fool of himself. Had no idea.
Unfortunately Flanagan is not the answer. He is just not that type of player. I honestly thought that he was originally going to be on the bench as a utility coming on for Liddle. Obviously I am wrong. Personally I would have loved to have seen a Hunt/ Lomax combination. I say that because as an opposition coach I would consider him a danger with his hands on the ball either breaking tackles around the edge or using his flick pass to supporting players. In defence he is one of the most aggressive tacklers in the competition. Just my views

Illusion

SGI Jersey Flegg
Unfortunately Flanagan is not the answer. He is just not that type of player. I honestly thought that he was originally going to be on the bench as a utility coming on for Liddle. Obviously I am wrong. Personally I would have loved to have seen a Hunt/ Lomax combination. I say that because as an opposition coach I would consider him a danger with his hands on the ball either breaking tackles around the edge or using his flick pass to supporting players. In defence he is one of the most aggressive tacklers in the competition. Just my views
Always thought Lomax would make a good 5/8 but what do I know ........