Charity Shield 2024

Illusion

SGI Jersey Flegg
Maybe can't blame Kyle just yet but the pressure is already on.
Yes it is but what about our elite number 7 that has had how many years at controlling the team and still can't do it ...... Early days yet but all the sooking will start again if the team struggles and Mr Hunt doesn't shine .......

Illusion

SGI Jersey Flegg
He isn't our answer to having a 2nd play maker to take the heat off Hunt I'm afraid
Jo not with you here how can the heat be taken off Hunt when he won't allow anyone else to do anything , not just Kyle , Hunt even said it himself that he needs to let Kyle into the game ....... Whether it's Kyle or anyone else Hunt thinks he can control a game by himself and we all know how that has gone over the last 5, 6 years ........

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Jo not with you here how can the heat be taken off Hunt when he won't allow anyone else to do anything , not just Kyle , Hunt even said it himself that he needs to let Kyle into the game ....... Whether it's Kyle or anyone else Hunt thinks he can control a game by himself and we all know how that has gone over the last 5, 6 years ........
Now that is the coaches job. Every competitive top 4 team has 2 play makers, one each side of the ruck. What I am saying is that young Flanagan doesn't fit the bill as a play maker. It's up to the coach to find that 2nd play maker and then run your attacking structures utilising both play makers. Hunt was ordinary again last night, twice he threw cut out passes to the winger who was double marked. It was embarrassing, and when he ran out of ideas, just put up the ball. Very bloody ordinary.

Eric

Staff
Now that is the coaches job. Every competitive top 4 team has 2 play makers, one each side of the ruck. What I am saying is that young Flanagan doesn't fit the bill as a play maker. It's up to the coach to find that 2nd play maker and then run your attacking structures utilising both play makers. Hunt was ordinary again last night, twice he threw cut out passes to the winger who was double marked. It was embarrassing, and when he ran out of ideas, just put up the ball. Very bloody ordinary.
💯

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
Agree about Hunt needing to do better but in the second half when Kyle was supposed to be running the show, he was clueless.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Sloan is Sloan has not changed his style attitude or commitment in the 7 years I've watched him. Multiple coaches have tried and failed, including Flanno it seems
Thats very unfortunate. I've seen my fair share of rising stars come up through the then U19, to my reserves and have that mindset I'm here for a couple of games then off to 1sts. Then reality hits.Its sad, another wasted talent that still could be something but it would appear from your comments he is happy and content to what he has achieved

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
Sloan is Sloan has not changed his style attitude or commitment in the 7 years I've watched him. Multiple coaches have tried and failed, including Flanno it seems
That's concerning but unlike Kyle, I'm not ready to write him off yet. A few mistakes but looked like our most likely with ball in hand.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
That's concerning but unlike Kyle, I'm not ready to write him off yet. A few mistakes but looked like our most likely with ball in hand.
He was awful last night. He was still poor in returning the kick chase. No doubt he has points in him but he's playing behind a pack that doesn't allow him the opportunity to shine in attack.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Missed the game but from what I read, that might be good.
We went ok in the first 2 sets of 20 minutes against an understrength rabbits team but we scored a lucky try and although our fitness levels have improved our defensive line speed hadn't improved and the rabbits were making easy metres. 2nd half Hunt was off and we were leaderless and trampled

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
We went ok in the first 2 sets of 20 minutes against an understrength rabbits team but we scored a lucky try and although our fitness levels have improved our defensive line speed hadn't improved and the rabbits were making easy metres. 2nd half Hunt was off and we were leaderless and trampled
Something to build on but a long way to go?

Illusion

SGI Jersey Flegg
Agree about Hunt needing to do better but in the second half when Kyle was supposed to be running the show, he was clueless.
Yes he was with a reserve grade team . Like I said put Hunt in the same situation and it will be the same clueless ......

Last edited:

AyiosYiorgos

SGI Jersey Flegg
So my take on the game, our first 40 was good, real commitment in defence, i like the line speed and also the first contact was good, thought all our forwards did a good job, some of our attack was obviously clunky, Sloan caught well BUT doesnt make any meters and gets monstered even by Illias the 1/2back.
Second half you could notice the drop in the line speed and the first contact was awful, the souths players would have made a mountain of PCM.
For our next trial game i would like to see more of Fifita, Tuitavake and Marschke.
I know there is some talk about Egan possibly getting a spot in the first round, but he is too small, he can tackle but doesnt stop the player in his tracks and is also easily manhandled in attack, needs to spend time in KOE cup

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
So my take on the game, our first 40 was good, real commitment in defence, i like the line speed and also the first contact was good, thought all our forwards did a good job, some of our attack was obviously clunky, Sloan caught well BUT doesnt make any meters and gets monstered even by Illias the 1/2back.
Second half you could notice the drop in the line speed and the first contact was awful, the souths players would have made a mountain of PCM.
For our next trial game i would like to see more of Fifita, Tuitavake and Marschke.
I know there is some talk about Egan possibly getting a spot in the first round, but he is too small, he can tackle but doesnt stop the player in his tracks and is also easily manhandled in attack, needs to spend time in KOE cup
I know I'm getting old and my eyesight may be fading but the defensive line speed wasn't good enough to stop the rabbits running 200m more than us in the first 40 min. I liked the look of Marschke, Flanagan failed to fill me with any confidence that he will grow into a 2nd play maker who can manage the game. Agree with your assessment of Tuitavake and Fifita. Liked the look of Tamale as well. Lomax is too good a player to be standing around on the chalk. There was no improvement by Sloan in bringing the ball back and that was farcical when Illias monstered him, Illias seriously.

Ryan

SGI Jersey Flegg
Good analysis.
Agree Sloan needs more work. Maybe he should do it in the NSW Cup and give Lomax a go at fullback. Either way, just don't play Lomax on the wing. It makes no sense. Flanno was talking all off season how he wants Lomax to get the ball more so then he puts him on the wing. Strange.

Is Egan that small? I didn't think so. I thought he looked about the same size as Eisenhuth. Eisenhuth looks like an upgrade on Russell but hardly a gun. Need more.

BMM couldn't get a deal elsewhere even with the Dragons willing to pay a large part of his contract. Pay out his contract and hand Coric a top 30 spot.

Both Couchman's need to be in the 17.

Kyle Flanagan just isn't an NRL player. He should try his luck in the super league.

Flanagan was bad but one more second half players bad game has gone under the radar. Unfortunately Connor Muhleisen looks like he's in the same boat as Flanagan.

Did Sione Finau even get on the field?

And I agree with my old friend JoDragon, Tamale looks promising.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Our bookends are not big enough or possess the necessary leg speed to consistently make the advantage line
One of out bookends does that week in week out, year in year out, plays above his weight. Is the bigger of the two, F Molo that does not pull his weight consistently. Is a dud. Wastes his size. Prefer he was shopped rather than Musgrove. How did Fifita travel. Is he the big bookend we need.