DISCIPLINE

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup

St George Illawarra star Zac Lomax addresses controversial incidents​

Lomax defended his actions following a fortnight of controversies that left former teammates Tyson Frizell and Matt Dufty fuming.​

Zac Lomax has apologised for his uncharacteristic “brain-snap” which left Tyson Frizell fuming and ignoring his former teammate after he reached out to say he was sorry. The St George Illawarra centre and NSW hopeful has dominated headlines in recent weeks for everything but his fleet-footwork or his now trademark flick pass.

Instead it was a Fox League segment where Lomax first earnt the ire of another ex-teammate and raised questions about Lomax’s relationship with coach Anthony Griffin. But last Sunday Lomax frustrated the usually laconic Frizell into tossing him to the floor after Lomax taunted the Newcastle Knights forward by jumping on his back to celebrate a Dragons try.

St George Illawarra skipper Ben Hunt, who labelled the incident a “brain-snap” and Griffin spoke with Lomax last week. He was fined $1000 by the NRL. Lomax confirmed he had reached out to Frizell but was yet to hear back. “There was no malice in it,” Lomax said. “I didn’t get a chance to (apologise to Frizell). I had a few interviews that grabbed me.”

Newcastle’s David Klemmer confronted Lomax after the game about the taunting in a match where Lomax kicked a game-defining field goal. The on-field incident followed an off-field drama where Lomax was unwittingly caught up. Canterbury fullback Matt Dufty, who left the Dragons last year, took exception to comments Lomax made when interviewed by Bryan Fletcher and Nathan Hindmarsh on Fox League.

Pwoor widdle Tyson. Lucky he has big David to stick up for him and stop him from getting bullied......
Who do the Dragons have to tell Klemmer, thanks but Frizell can look after himself, so no thanks.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
Who do the Dragons have to tell Klemmer, thanks but Frizell can look after himself, so no thanks.
Josh Kerr:rolleyes:
You mean someone to approach him aggressively and grab his arm? Dragons don't have anyone for that. Unless Frank Molo enjoys punching on. Sims would have been the one a few years ago but he's smaller than Klemmer and is he into that anymore? Now he's leaving the club. That leads me into the current situation. If Newcastle want to treat Frizell as a weak little boy unable to look after himself, it's their problem. Glad no one tried that while he was in Saints colours.

Eric

Staff
Frizell was a warrior for St George for so many years, often, or usually in a very poor team. Lomax was an idiot but I think he's copped enough for just being dumb. It's not as if he king hit Frizell and broke his jaw or something like that. So if Frizell can't get over it, f**k him. Lomax should use it to fire him up.

Give Zac a break

We received the following email from veteran player agent Steve Gillis in regards to his player, St George Illawarra centre Zac Lomax, and the media coverage since his over-the-top try celebration against the Knights.

It reads: “I feel obliged to pen you a quick note in relation to the incident involving Zac Lomax and Tyson Frizell last weekend. As you are aware, I represent Zac, having known him since he was 14 and signed him at age 15. Importantly, Zac is not a dirty player but concedes his actions were inappropriate and disrespectful. He accepts responsibility for his actions and apologises for what he did.

He has learned a great deal from this. He wears his heart on his sleeve, plays to win and is grateful for the opportunity to play our great game. I appreciate your comments on NRL 360 last Monday night, stating that although you believed Zac had stuffed up, you didn’t believe it warranted heavy sanction and we should all move on.

This week, the media hype surrounding the incident, in my opinion, has got away from us. NRL: Zac Lomax unnecessarily sparked an all-in after he beelined for former teammate Tyson Frizell, sparking David Klemmer to have some stern words at full time.
Yes, I know you all have a job to do ... Zac Lomax jumped on a rival player’s back during a try celebration gone wrong. Should he have done it — no, but it happened. Is he remorseful, yes. Will he ever do it again — no.

My point is that we often lose sight of what effect constant media coverage may have on individuals and their state of mind. Jackson Hastings speaks openly and honestly about how he struggled with media scrutiny. Mitch Moses and Luke Brooks have also had to shoulder plenty of attention. This week it’s Zac who has found himself at the centre of a hurricane which simply hasn’t dissipated. We underestimate - in fact we don’t even take into consideration - the ripple effects such commentary may have on individuals.

Footballers are human. They have emotions and feel pain like any other person. And they will make mistakes. In my opinion, we all need to be a little kinder to each other. After all, it’s a game of footy.”

You were really ahead of the curb on this.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup

Give Zac a break

We received the following email from veteran player agent Steve Gillis in regards to his player, St George Illawarra centre Zac Lomax, and the media coverage since his over-the-top try celebration against the Knights.

It reads: “I feel obliged to pen you a quick note in relation to the incident involving Zac Lomax and Tyson Frizell last weekend. As you are aware, I represent Zac, having known him since he was 14 and signed him at age 15. Importantly, Zac is not a dirty player but concedes his actions were inappropriate and disrespectful. He accepts responsibility for his actions and apologises for what he did.

He has learned a great deal from this. He wears his heart on his sleeve, plays to win and is grateful for the opportunity to play our great game. I appreciate your comments on NRL 360 last Monday night, stating that although you believed Zac had stuffed up, you didn’t believe it warranted heavy sanction and we should all move on.

This week, the media hype surrounding the incident, in my opinion, has got away from us. NRL: Zac Lomax unnecessarily sparked an all-in after he beelined for former teammate Tyson Frizell, sparking David Klemmer to have some stern words at full time.
Yes, I know you all have a job to do ... Zac Lomax jumped on a rival player’s back during a try celebration gone wrong. Should he have done it — no, but it happened. Is he remorseful, yes. Will he ever do it again — no.

My point is that we often lose sight of what effect constant media coverage may have on individuals and their state of mind. Jackson Hastings speaks openly and honestly about how he struggled with media scrutiny. Mitch Moses and Luke Brooks have also had to shoulder plenty of attention. This week it’s Zac who has found himself at the centre of a hurricane which simply hasn’t dissipated. We underestimate - in fact we don’t even take into consideration - the ripple effects such commentary may have on individuals.

Footballers are human. They have emotions and feel pain like any other person. And they will make mistakes. In my opinion, we all need to be a little kinder to each other. After all, it’s a game of footy.”

You were really ahead of the curb on this.
Zac's try celebration got a little out of hand. The backlash got way out of hand.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
It will be a good result if Lomax puts the whole sorry episode behind him and concentrates on getting back to the form of early last year.

Eric

Staff

BIGGEST OOPS OF THE YEAR

Dragons centre Zac Lomax is a class act - but he committed 44 errors during the season - the most in the NRL. He'll cut that number radically in 2023 - just needs some good direction.

I wasn't sure where to leave this. I think this would fit under "discipline", wouldn't it? In the first half of the season, Zac went crazy. Trying to score or set up tires almost every time he got the ball. Expect much more from him this next season.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup

BIGGEST OOPS OF THE YEAR

Dragons centre Zac Lomax is a class act - but he committed 44 errors during the season - the most in the NRL. He'll cut that number radically in 2023 - just needs some good direction.

I wasn't sure where to leave this. I think this would fit under "discipline", wouldn't it? In the first half of the season, Zac went crazy. Trying to score or set up tires almost every time he got the ball. Expect much more from him this next season.
He was lucky not to get dropped. I think he was rattled by that Tyson Frizzel indecent. Uncalled for and immature but Tyson overreacted. He was also frustrated by how much his game has slipped. I think he's available to be signed for 2024 now but no club is in any hurry to sign him.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup

BIGGEST OOPS OF THE YEAR

Certainly does, self discipline. He really needs to make better decisions next season so we can avoid the dreaded wooden spoon