Front Office

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Agree with that. Watching this team playing the way they do is painful.

Sharks are at the peak of their powers and probably don't average a lot more than the Dragons.
Your right there at home it was about 12,000 away it was much less as they don't have the base support away from Sydney. But we do or did, last season we came in 15th for crowd avg both home and away in the regular season. The Sharks came in 16th. But we are St George, we are and always will be the only club to win 11 seasons in a row. Since our 2010 premiership year we have played semi finals football 3 times and we have not finished top 4 since 2010 so again this year and perhaps again next year we won't be there come September that's atrocious for a once proud, steeped in tradition and feared club.

Eric

Staff
This is Hook's response to our current predicament

"A lot of the stuff we did to ourselves with field position"Mainly they were just playing at a higher intensity to us in the first 40 minutes. We don't like having to fix it but it is stuff you cant it was disappointing," Griffin said. "We thought we were in a better spot than that. We got a lesson and we have to learn those lessons in a few weeks."We got blown away a bit early. The scoreboard got into their heads. We went away from a lot of the stuff we know we can do well
"But the season starts in three weeks. It's an opportunity to have a look at that performance and get things right.
"I can understand why people will be disappointed. We are really disappointed. You don't want to play like that. That's what trial games are for. We will give us an opportunity to look at ourselves.
Seriously? The team looked disinterested, they looked as if they are already aware that they are not good enough to play semi finals football, they looked resigned to this under this coach.
What would your response to our current predicament be?

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
What would your response to our current predicament be?
I would have packed my bags. I would have fronted my employers and told them under the present circumstances and our inability to recruit the quality of players we need my position was now untenable. I can't understand why you want to be anywhere where you are no longer wanted or you can't make any positive changes . We just don't have the players to be competitive and that's partly my fault as coach. The players body language said it all to me. I've walked before, before I was pushed.leave with some dignity.

Eric

Staff
I would have packed my bags. I would have fronted my employers and told them under the present circumstances and our inability to recruit the quality of players we need my position was now untenable. I can't understand why you want to be anywhere where you are no longer wanted or you can't make any positive changes . We just don't have the players to be competitive and that's partly my fault as coach. The players body language said it all to me. I've walked before, before I was pushed.leave with some dignity.
Short of resigning, what are the first steps you would take to fixing this team?

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Short of resigning, what are the first steps you would take to fixing this team?
This team is divided. The team doesn't play for each other. There is definitely a lack of intensity but that is because there isn't a winning culture. Working with what I have at the moment is difficult. But cap in hand try to recruit 2 go forward props with the salary cap we have left. You have to start with your biggest players in the pack even if it's for the first 15 min their specific job hurt the opposition bend their line in the middle of the park. So Musgrave starts with Lawrie, Mulheisen starts at hooker quick passes clearing the ruck and when he feels an opportunity darting out of dummy half confuse the opposition 2nd rowers JDB and Murdoch - Masila, Bird lock. Halves Hunt/Sullivan.. Give Sullivan licence to use his speed play eyes up footy, play what he sees in front of him, leave the organisation to Hunt. Learn and practice new attacking structures give Sloan licence to roam on both edges and through the ruck area, mix it up. Lomax back with Rav but allow him license to swap sides become unpredictable in attack. In the defensive line JDB stands next to Hunt to protect him. Give some our rising stars time on the bench we need enthusiasm it is contagious and can lift a team. We have to change because what we are doing is not working

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
This team is divided. The team doesn't play for each other. There is definitely a lack of intensity but that is because there isn't a winning culture. Working with what I have at the moment is difficult. But cap in hand try to recruit 2 go forward props with the salary cap we have left. You have to start with your biggest players in the pack even if it's for the first 15 min their specific job hurt the opposition bend their line in the middle of the park. So Musgrave starts with Lawrie, Mulheisen starts at hooker quick passes clearing the ruck and when he feels an opportunity darting out of dummy half confuse the opposition 2nd rowers JDB and Murdoch - Masila, Bird lock. Halves Hunt/Sullivan.. Give Sullivan licence to use his speed play eyes up footy, play what he sees in front of him, leave the organisation to Hunt. Learn and practice new attacking structures give Sloan licence to roam on both edges and through the ruck area, mix it up. Lomax back with Rav but allow him license to swap sides become unpredictable in attack. In the defensive line JDB stands next to Hunt to protect him. Give some our rising stars time on the bench we need enthusiasm it is contagious and can lift a team. We have to change because what we are doing is not working
Except for JDB second row, I think this is good. You forgot about Sua. Replace Murdoch-Masila with him. I just watched the Gold Coast-Dolphins game. If you combined the 17 from both teams, so 34 and then picked out the fastest 20, the top 10 would probably all be Gold Coast, only Sloan and Lomax would make the top 20.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Except for JDB second row, I think this is good. You forgot about Sua. Replace Murdoch-Masila with him. I just watched the Gold Coast-Dolphins game. If you combined the 17 from both teams, so 34 and then picked out the fastest 20, the top 10 would probably all be Gold Coast, only Sloan and Lomax would make the top 20.
Oops, Yes I'd start with Sua and keep him on. I'd even consider using Murdoch - Masila in short stints at prop instead of back row he's big enough but he would only last 15 min in that position. Yes we need speed but you just haven't got it in our team at the moment got to work with what you have got. But definitely need go forward in the engine room. Yes on that performance the Titans will beat us.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
Oops, Yes I'd start with Sua and keep him on. I'd even consider using Murdoch - Masila in short stints at prop instead of back row he's big enough but he would only last 15 min in that position. Yes we need speed but you just haven't got it in our team at the moment got to work with what you have got. But definitely need go forward in the engine room.
Murdoch-Masila has been a prop his entire career. He should only be considered a prop. Remember Griffin also tried to turn Kerr into a second rower? He has a thing for playing props in the second row.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Murdoch-Masila has been a prop his entire career. He should only be considered a prop. Remember Griffin also tried to turn Kerr into a second rower? He has a thing for playing props in the second row.
Yes and it rarely ever works. The only time anyone with knowledge of the game do such a positional change is if you already had an outstanding prop rotation already in the team and that we have never had

Edward

SGI Jersey Flegg
Yes and it rarely ever works. The only time anyone with knowledge of the game do such a positional change is if you already had an outstanding prop rotation already in the team and that we have never had
There is one big positional change Griffin can make. Suli and Sua to be the starting backrowers, de Belin lock. Both Feagai's in the run on team. One centre, one winger.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
There is one big positional change Griffin can make. Suli and Sua to be the starting backrowers, de Belin lock. Both Feagai's in the run on team. One centre, one winger.
Unfortunately moving big bodied backs into the pack takes a few seasons of planning and training. We need props let's hope Musgrove and Murdoch - Masila can fill that rotation of props and give us some badly needed go forward

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
Desperately need one fast winger. I thought Sloan was faster than he is. I was surprised how quickly he was run down after being in the clear.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
Unfortunately moving big bodied backs into the pack takes a few seasons of planning and training. We need props let's hope Musgrove and Murdoch - Masila can fill that rotation of props and give us some badly needed go forward
Woods is so far past his best, if he plays more than a handful of first grade this year, I think the spoon is almost assured.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Desperately need one fast winger. I thought Sloan was faster than he is. I was surprised how quickly he was run down after being in the clear.
Do we actually have any speed in the backline? I failed to see any real speedsters in the last few seasons

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
I think Jo Dragon is right but the idea is a good one. Maybe a decent coach can start transitioning him into the pack later this year and make it full time next year.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Woods is so far past his best, if he plays more than a handful of first grade this year, I think the spoon is almost assured.
Our rotation of props this season should be Lawrie, Musgrave, Murdoch - Masila and Woods knowing the way this coach thinks. It wouldn't be causing opposition coaches many sleepless nights

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
I think Jo Dragon is right but the idea is a good one. Maybe a decent coach can start transitioning him into the pack later this year and make it full time next year.
As an old broken down coach I can attest to the fact it's not as simple as saying mate moving you from the backs into the pack. Many many times I received advice from other people within club management in regards to this particular issue.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
And as far as I have seen/heard, there are still 5 top 30 spots up for grabs.
We have 27 contracted including Amone who won't be playing so we should get some salary relief, how much who knows so we have 1.5m to spend on 3 spots. If we could only snaffle two more decent props and a speedy back but I'm not sure anyone off contract would be interested in us