Front Office

Eric

Staff

St George Illawarra Dragons legend’s explosive reason for snubbing 2010 grand final reunion​

A key member of the Dragons 2010 premiership side has left teammates “shocked and saddened” after revealing why he brushed the grand final reunion in a revealing social media post.​

• Matt Cooper hates Peter Doust.

• On Twitter he said: I want to apologise to my 2010 premiership team for not attending the 10-12year reunion. The reason why I did not attend, was I didn't want to make a scene and ruin a special occasion! Knowing former CEO and a player who did not even play in the game were going to be there.

• Who the player in question is was a mystery. There were a few players there that played with the Dragons that season but didn’t play in the grand final.

• He also said on Twitter: I can see a lot of people are wondering why I sent that tweet, it was my only way to let the players know why I wasn't there. With the why, it has to do with what happened to me when I retired, I'm not ready to share that right now, but the truth will come out next year.

• There is a suggestion Cooper was not given a promised post-career job at the club. Others claim Cooper was offered a job.

• Darius Boyd, Neville Costigan and Dean Young were also unable to attend. I presume Boyd didn't attend because he's so unpopular. Dean Young is obviously on duty with NQ. No idea about Costigan.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup

St George Illawarra legend’s explosive reason for snubbing 2010 grand final reunion​

A key member of the Dragons 2010 premiership side has left teammates “shocked and saddened” after revealing why he brushed the grand final reunion in a revealing social media post.​

• On Twitter he said: I want to apologise to my 2010 premiership team for not attending the 10-12year reunion. The reason why I did not attend, was I didn't want to make a scene and ruin a special occasion! Knowing former CEO and a player who did not even play in the game were going to be there.

• Who the player in question is was a mystery. There were a few players there that played with the Dragons that season but didn’t play in the grand final.

• He also said on Twitter: I can see a lot of people are wondering why I sent that tweet, it was my only way to let the players know why I wasn't there. With the why, it has to do with what happened to me when I retired, I'm not ready to share that right now, but the truth will come out next year.

• There is a suggestion Cooper was not given a promised post-career job at the club. Others claim Cooper was offered a job.

• Darius Boyd, Neville Costigan and Dean Young were also unable to attend. I presume Boyd didn't attend because he's so unpopular. Dean Young is obviously on duty with NQ. No idea about Costigan.
No link?

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup

St George Illawarra Dragons legend’s reason for snubbing 2010 grand final reunion​

Fans aren't the only one's who hate Doust.

Eric

Staff

St George Illawarra Dragons in shock name change consideration

St George Illawarra Dragons are exploring the potential of a name change that could tear apart the club. See the options of new names to consider.

• St George Dragons
  • Southern Dragons
  • Greater Sydney Dragons
  • The Dragons
  • St George Illawarra Dragons.
  • Other (please specify)

Which do you like? For me it's a no-brainer:

St George Dragons​

It'll bring in more sponsorship money which should make even the Illawarra faction agree.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup

St George Illawarra Dragons are exploring the potential of a name change that could tear apart the club. See the options of new names to consider.

• St George Dragons
  • Southern Dragons
  • Greater Sydney Dragons
  • The Dragons
  • Other (please specify)

St George Dragons​

It'll bring in more sponsorship money which should make even the Illawarra faction agree.
Rhetorical question? St George Dragons.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup

• St George Dragons
  • Southern Dragons
  • Greater Sydney Dragons
  • The Dragons
  • Other (please specify)

St George Dragons​

St George Dragons is just perfect! It removes any specific geographical location which would in theory open up more sponsorship opportunities while keeping the glorious past and traditions.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
As I indicated earlier last season this is another example of a club divided. Strts from the top it would now appear. God I hope we don't get the dreaded wooden spoon in 23.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup

• St George Dragons
  • Southern Dragons
  • Greater Sydney Dragons
  • The Dragons
  • Other (please specify)

St George Dragons​

Definitely: St George Dragons
As I indicated earlier last season this is another example of a club divided. Strts from the top it would now appear. God I hope we don't get the dreaded wooden spoon in 23.
You don't like the potential name change?

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup

St George Illawarra Dragons are exploring the potential of a name change that could tear apart the club. See the options.

• St George Dragons
  • Southern Dragons
  • Greater Sydney Dragons
  • The Dragons
  • Other (please specify)

St George Dragons​

Other: Jo Dragons Southern Bakers
Is it too long?

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
St George Dragons is just perfect!
To top it off a return to a stand alone club as the article alluded to. Dont we put the bulk of the money into the merger now.

While I remember too. To all you Dragon 'Lairs':cool:
1671663004510.png

Have a great day and drink and eat too much like every Christmas. Actually due to my brother having a big C scare we aint having a family celebration this year. If he recovers sufficiently we intend having a rip roaring combined Chrissie/New Year celebration.

Last edited:

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
To top it off return to a stand alone club as the article alluded to. Dont we put the bulk of the money into the merger now.

View attachment 226

Have a great day and drink and eat too much like every Chrissie. Actually due to my brother having a big C scare we aint having a family Chrissie Day this year. If he recovers sufficiently we intend having a rip roaring combined Chrissie/New Year celebration.
Happy Xmas to you and everyone else too.

Eric

Staff
Bugger Eric Eric the Gif did not animate?
I guess not. I'll get on it.
To top it off return to a stand alone club as the article alluded to. Dont we put the bulk of the money into the merger now.

View attachment 226

Have a great day and drink and eat too much like every Chrissie. Actually due to my brother having a big C scare we aint having a family Chrissie Day this year. If he recovers sufficiently we intend having a rip roaring combined Chrissie/New Year celebration.
I don't think dropping Illawarra is on the agenda. In fact, I'm sure it isn't. I think almost everyone wishes St George could have stood alone (and the few Illawarra supporters wish they could have stood alone) but alas. As long as the name is St George Dragons, it's fine isn't it? It's only inconvenient for people who live in Sydney and want to attend every home game.

And happy Xmas to you, too.

I hope your brother gets better but remember, the only way any of us won't pass due to that disease is if something else gets us first. Even Gaz (Fuff the Magic Dragon, not Mark) and Chook passed.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
but remember, the only way any of us won't pass due to that disease is if something else gets us first. Even Gaz (Fuff the Magic Dragon, not Mark) and Chook passed.
Not what I wanted to hear after what has been a bloody harrowing 10 days. Colon tumor was malign but his surgeon has gotten all of it.

Last edited:

Ryan

SGI Jersey Flegg
To top it off a return to a stand alone club as the article alluded to. Dont we put the bulk of the money into the merger now.

View attachment 226

Have a great day and drink and eat too much like every Christmas. Actually due to my brother having a big C scare we aint having a family celebration this year. If he recovers sufficiently we intend having a rip roaring combined Chrissie/New Year celebration.
Happy Christmas to you and all St George Illawarra supporters! I hope it goes well for all involved. It's important to remain optimistic.

• St George Dragons
  • Southern Dragons
  • Greater Sydney Dragons
  • The Dragons
  • Other (please specify)

St George Dragons​

All I want for Christmas is the return of the St George Dragons!

Eric

Staff
DT is pretty upset with this (potential name change) which I guess means it would be good for the club and has the support of most supporters. I only have anecdotal evidence but it would be my guess around 99% of supporters in Sydney support it and around 60% of supporters in and around the Gong support it. The team will be based down here and play half of their home games down here. Who cares about the name "Illawarra"? It's hardly used at all in daily life except within the local government. Everyone says Wollongong, Shellharbour and etc, not "Illawarra".