NSW Cup and Jersey Flegg, 2024

TheRev

SGI Jersey Flegg
2nd Half Notes (We won 30-6):
o The half was pretty flat, lots of errors but we are defending well which is the key
o Egan had a couple of moments in attack which was nice
o Tonga is something special.. hes gonna move up fast, 1 particular carry he had 3 blokes on him and he just kept walking
o LKT got shouldered high in 2nd half, he had a pretty good game, small improvements every week... Skelton went to the bin, LKT didnt seem to go off hia or anything
o I've lost my feed for the last 7 minutes, ill update this later lol, but I can see Rava went in twice which is nice.. but the game was over.

Huge win against a tough team.. we r playing a rly grindy forward style.. sometimes we struggle to hold it for 80mins but its effective. Finals chances still alive!

Just a Mug Fan

SGI Jersey Flegg
Flegg wrap
I think just about everyone in the side gave away a penalty or made a error that put us under pressure.

Ben did some good things and made bad decisions again. If kick chasers put him under pressure he struggles.

Jesse scored a try set up a try and had chance for two more but execution was off. He missed a few tackles but looked to get more involved. One of his better games. 200rm

TK not as involved but the kid is a natural at taking bombs.

Finau was a bit quiet again, the long season caching up with him I expect.

Jake played a good spell in the middle and made good metres.

Jack on report for late hit.

Nick T was hot and cold again. 137rm

Last edited:

Edward

SGI Jersey Flegg
Flegg wrap
I think just about everyone in the side gave away a penalty or made a error that put us under pressure.

Ben did some good things and made bad decisions again. If kick chasers put him under pressure he struggles.

Jesse scored a try set up a try and had chance for two more but execution was off. He missed a few tackles but looked to get more involved. One of his better games. 200rm

TK not as involved but the kid is a natural at taking bombs.

Finau was a bit quiet again, the long season caching up with him I expect.

Jake played a good spell in the middle and made good metres.

Jack on report for late hit.

Nick T was hot and cold again. 137rm
TK, Rumble and Williams definitely not on the radar for first grade at some stage next year? Of course not from round 1 but at some stage? The NRL team could really use one more fast, outside back.

TheRev

SGI Jersey Flegg
Rumble & TK both on Train & Trial I think? Williams nothing seems public, I suspect they are still working towards what his role will be next year... rly glad to see him getting involved.. its the big thing hes gonna have to do if he wants to get better... everything will come from that.

Gonna be rly interesting if Bird/Rava/Tamale/Lomax all leave, and we only bring in 1 guy (Holmes for arguments sake).. thats a lot of opportunity potentially.. but its a lot less first grade depth too.

Ben Johnson is the other one im rly curious what they do with, didnt have his strongest game on the weekend, but hes stepped up from flegg well.. still too early to know how far he will go.

Edward

SGI Jersey Flegg
Rumble & TK both on Train & Trial I think? Williams nothing seems public, I suspect they are still working towards what his role will be next year... rly glad to see him getting involved.. its the big thing hes gonna have to do if he wants to get better... everything will come from that.

Gonna be rly interesting if Bird/Rava/Tamale/Lomax all leave, and we only bring in 1 guy (Holmes for arguments sake).. thats a lot of opportunity potentially.. but its a lot less first grade depth too.

Ben Johnson is the other one im rly curious what they do with, didnt have his strongest game on the weekend, but hes stepped up from flegg well.. still too early to know how far he will go.
Johnson is a curious case. From my understanding went well in Flegg but they didn't think he's make in NSW Cup. But in NSW Cup he's been killing it. Might be worth a top 30 spot if as you said, all those backs leave.

TheRev

SGI Jersey Flegg
Johnson is a curious case. From my understanding went well in Flegg but they didn't think he's make in NSW Cup. But in NSW Cup he's been killing it. Might be worth a top 30 spot if as you said, all those backs leave.
In the last year or 2 I never got to see any lower grades.. but I remember B.Johnson and C.Roberts always being on the score-sheets.. I was told they werent really being talked about as moving up, but as soon as we had injuries they both did..

Cooper has been 'ok' he got to play a few games now... but I assume he will be surpassed by TK and Williams next year.. he has a big body and seems ok in the air... but not huge amounts of acceleration...

Johnson though has gotten better as the year has gone on, but def too early for any top30.. maybe a dev pos.. its him or Buchanan though.. I think Johnson has maybe 2yrs or so headstart? Intriguing indeed.. given Afu was injured for so long we cant really compare him..

I feel like its ideal if we dont have to rush anyone.. its so nice when you look back over 3, 6 or 12 months.. and see how a kid who seemed to barely handle cup.. is now at least comfortable if not thriving.. Tamale is one such example, after 12-18mths he looks really dominant now but he rly didnt even a few months ago.. LKT has rly come along in 10 games this year, but still a long way to go as a playmaker.. and Tonga is for me one of the only kids that bucks that trend.. from his debut.. he was totally up to the increased level.. I mean he will (and is) getting better every game... but this kid is clearly a level above the other 19yr olds... so u know he has 1st grade coming sooner rather than later.

Last edited: