NSW Cup and Jersey Flegg, 2024

Just a Mug Fan

SGI Jersey Flegg
Agree, winning is nice but its a development pathway and maybe they just didn't gel well as a team or with the coach, but a quick look at the more experienced individuals in their 2nd year of Flegg:

o Spine: Ward/Quinn/Rumble/Hjaltason would be looking to move up to NSW Cup spine next year.. I think Rumble is a lock on fullback (unless Sloan drops back), I dont know who the 9 will be (if they r worried about Hjaltason.. perhaps Muhleisen could stay on a cup contract?), and im not sure how seriously they rate Ward or Quinn.. because i think we will buy a 7 yet, and I think LKT is the 6... these positions are no joke, these are first grade depth positions.

o Other Forwards: Liu/Webster/Tsougranis/Watchirs are our experienced forwards, Nick will def play NSW Cup, Liu and Webster you think would also.. given we are losing a few more experienced middles like AlecT and perhaps Coric and dunno about Fifita yet... I didnt include Stewart (or Egan) given he is already in Cup most weeks. Watchirs I dunno what they will do with him given he ends up @ctr most weeks.

Maybe a few of them can stay in Flegg another year yet? Esp for that first few months until the wave of SG Ball kids move up.

Aston Nick Q Kyan will all play Flegg again.
Ben will move up but is no guarantee of playing cup when only on T&T
Guys like Webster Liu Watchirs Trav Baz Miller will go into the start of year Cup side but will probably see very little Cup time.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
Aston Nick Q Kyan will all play Flegg again.
Ben will move up but is no guarantee of playing cup when only on T&T
Guys like Webster Liu Watchirs Trav Baz Miller will go into the start of year Cup side but will probably see very little Cup time.
That doesn't sound too good. Only Nick T and Buchanan are certainties to move up to Cup?

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
Maybe, like I said I dunno what the clubs thoughts are, but the rubber hits the road now as we get into reserve grade... and it depends who we intend to buy as our halves depth for 2025.. cause as of right now.... we have only 1x5/8 and 1xHalfback in next years Top 30. Flanno has to strengthen that quality.. look at the other clubs.. Warriors with Metcalfe and Chanel in reserves, Storm with Wishart and Pezet in reserves, Sharks with Atkinson in reserves.. our spine depth was really thin this year... we just got super lucky with all 4 positions...

Justa did mention 11 missed tackles for Ward last week also, thats at Flegg level... thats probably the biggest concern of them all in terms of moving him up.
I guess the good news is that tackling can be taught. Especially if he grows a bit more.

Just a Mug Fan

SGI Jersey Flegg
That doesn't sound too good. Only Nick T and Buchanan are certainties to move up to Cup?

36 contracted players come first.
If there are very few injuries the don't get a chance.
Nick T and Hayden are no guarantee, just like Hamish this year was SL player but still dropped back to Flegg.
Finau is top 30 but will still play SG Ball to start with.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
36 contracted players come first.
If there are very few injuries the don't get a chance.
Nick T and Hayden are no guarantee, just like Hamish this year was SL player but still dropped back to Flegg.
Finau is top 30 but will still play SG Ball to start with.
Just seems a bit disappointing due to how many teenagers other clubs have in the team. Last night Panthers had an 18 year-old centre and Parra a 19 year-old centre. Neither were out of their depth.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
A good comeback after oranges by our Flegg boys but that loss makes the finals a steep climb now. Was always a stiff ask against the second placed junior grubs.

Last edited:

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
Finau Latu 18th man in NSW Cup

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
18-o at halftime. Not bad at all considering they are equal second on the ladder. After Dragons beat the leaders last week. If they keep winning they will make the finals even though outside the top 5 now.

TheRev

SGI Jersey Flegg
NSW Cup - Half Time Notes (18-0 up):
o Much like last week, rly dominant first half, just need to keep it up in the 2nd.
o Huge penalty count, was 6-0 at one point.. thats a big part of why we r in front, dogs have 2 players carried off also
o Stewart has had his best game ive ever seen.. punching holes thru the defence
o Fifita has dropped the ball twice in his first 2 carries.. ref saved him the first time
o Feagai has been very strong at left ctr, Bird and Rava been good also
o Tamale has dropped 2 balls Feagai has given him on the wing.. and another off LKT.. rly clumsy hands
o Right on half time theyve called AlecT as a double movement.. his whole body was in the ingoal.. would have been 24-0, hope that doesnt cost us.

Thats about it, every one else has been their usual selves... we need to start strong in the 2nd half.. dont want to repeat last weeks effort when we were 26-0 up.