OUR NEW HEAD COACH COMES HOME.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup

Savelio Tamale​

Another member of the NSW U19s side, Tamale has made strong progression through the ranks from SG Ball before making his KOE Cup debut against the Roosters in April. The hard running outside back made the transition across from Rugby Union last December and will join the Dragons top 30 NRL squad for the upcoming 2024 season.

Really looking forward to seeing how he goes next year from round 1.
I'd prefer if they called him 'fast and skillful' rather than 'hard running'. We have 2 'hard running' centres already.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
He plays tonite up in bananaland for the Junior Blues Origin side. Pray tell me why wasnt this game last evening's curtain raiser as it'd have been given more publicity. They probably wont even telecast it.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
ng the dead rubber may have given some a crack at a Kangaroo jumper. Evidenly Bradman ( no guessing whose father was a devotee of The Don) Best had a blinder, while the over rated Penrith pair of Yeo and Martin did not.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
ng the dead rubber may have given some a crack at a Kangaroo jumper. Evidenly Bradman ( no guessing whose father was a devotee of The Don) Best had a blinder, while the over rated Penrith pair of Yeo and Martin did not.
Wouldn't go so far as to say he had a blinder. Did nothing wrong and was on hand to finish off a pair of good tries. Agree about the Penrith pair. Good at NRL level, average at Origin level. Ben Hunt was pretty poor coming on at hooker.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
Wouldn't go so far as to say he had a blinder. Did nothing wrong and was on hand to finish off a pair of good tries. Agree about the Penrith pair. Good at NRL level, average at Origin level. Ben Hunt was pretty poor coming on at hooker.
I bet Zac wishes he got that kind of service from his halfback and 5/8.

The more I see of Hunt this year, the more I'm convinced that letting him walk even if we can't organise a player swap is the best result for the club. Should never have been extended.

Last edited:

Eric

Staff
Just watching the NQ-Manly game and saw Deano in the sheds at halftime saying a few words. Does anyone know whether him coming home as an assistant next year is more than just a rumour?

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
Just watching the NQ-Manly game and saw Deano in the sheds at halftime saying a few words. Does anyone know whether him coming home as an assistant next year is more than just a rumour?
It's confirmed. Dean Young and Ryan Carr will be assistants next season. I think they are going to hire one more assistant.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup

SHANE FLANAGAN - St George Illawarra Dragons

Analysis: The Dragons don’t historically sack coaches, but that all changed last season when they axed Anthony Griffin mid-way through the season.

New coach Shane Flanagan has signed a three-year deal and will be given time to turn things around. However, given the proud club has been starved of success for so long it won’t take long for the board to become impatient if improvements are not made.

Flanagan has won 102 of his 185 NRL games as a head coach at a win percentage of 55.14 including a premiership in 2016.

Given they finished second last in 2023, the Dragons won’t need to make the finals next season, but the club hierarchy will want to see a marked improvement in the team’s on-field results and Flanagan needs to land some stars in the player market to provide hope for the future.

Contracted: 2026

Verdict: (3) Safe for now

Letting Sullivan go and then recruiting his son really annoyed me.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup

SHANE FLANAGAN - St George Illawarra Dragons

Analysis: The Dragons don’t historically sack coaches, but that all changed last season when they axed Anthony Griffin mid-way through the season.

New coach Shane Flanagan has signed a three-year deal and will be given time to turn things around. However, given the proud club has been starved of success for so long it won’t take long for the board to become impatient if improvements are not made.

Flanagan has won 102 of his 185 NRL games as a head coach at a win percentage of 55.14 including a premiership in 2016.

Given they finished second last in 2023, the Dragons won’t need to make the finals next season, but the club hierarchy will want to see a marked improvement in the team’s on-field results and Flanagan needs to land some stars in the player market to provide hope for the future.

Contracted: 2026

Verdict: (3) Safe for now

Letting Sullivan go and then recruiting his son really annoyed me.
Put himself under pressure with that.

Reactions: QDF

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
Thinking Bud must have had some underlying injuries.
That only the club new about.
Don't think so. He was promised he was going to be halfback from next season then the club went and re-signed Hunt. I know he had some work to do on playing halfback but I believe he could have done it. And even at his worst, he's a better half or 5/8 than Flanno Jnr.

Eric

Staff
Don't think so. He was promised he was going to be halfback from next season then the club went and re-signed Hunt. I know he had some work to do on playing halfback but I believe he could have done it. And even at his worst, he's a better half or 5/8 than Flanno Jnr.
I was a fan of Ben Hunt but felt sure the time was perfect to cut him loose before his extension. But what would I know?

Just a Mug Fan

SGI Jersey Flegg
Watched a few training sessions and there is a noticeable difference in the style and methods of Flano.

There has been a lot of improvements in the facilities and training field with work continuing.

Bird Lawrie and Su'A in light contact singlets, so still not 100% after surgery.
Sloan arm still in a cast and Cody helping out in the drills.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
Watched a few training sessions and there is a noticeable difference in the style and methods of Flano.

There has been a lot of improvements in the facilities and training field with work continuing.

Bird Lawrie and Su'A in light contact singlets, so still not 100% after surgery.
Sloan arm still in a cast and Cody helping out in the drills.
Any rookies stand out? Finau and Tamale firmly in line to start as winger and centre?

Illusion

SGI Jersey Flegg
This , the kid was duded , Flanno shafted him knowing his son was coming ........ Bingo ....... Flanno's second mistake , his first was crawling up Hunts backside and keeping him on as captain ....... I can go with his son coming over , But the Hunt thing is going to come back and bite us , especially once the loses start happening ....... I hope I'm proven wrong .........