OUR NEXT HEAD COACH

Illusion

SGI Jersey Flegg
I've been over this 1000 times so let me say sorry if I've said this to you before.

I don't think Hunt was nearly as good this year as he was given credit for. In my mind a very highly paid captain and main playmaker should have the team playing well. Especially in the first half of the season, I was very critical of him trying to do too much himself to what I felt was the detriment of the team. And it was in the first half of the season the commentators were raving about him and he skipped out to a big lead in the Dally Ms. In the second half of the season, where he obviously got far fewer Dally M points, I thought he was better.
Agree , maybe should have said it was his best year for us , but as you say everything came through him ..... Hook's fault as well allowing this , and as I stated , once the team start to play as a team , Hunt will not be as dominant and stand out as much ..... If he struggles with that and doesn't produce the daggers will be out ...... Just me I would not have signed him for the money he is on ...... Anyway time will tell .....

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
Agree , maybe should have said it was his best year for us , but as you say everything came through him ..... Hook's fault as well allowing this , and as I stated , once the team start to play as a team , Hunt will not be as dominant and stand out as much ..... If he struggles with that and doesn't produce the daggers will be out ...... Just me I would not have signed him for the money he is on ...... Anyway time will tell .....
I read someone stated it was only a question of signing him for far less or even offering him anything at all. I think that's right but now it's done, I hope he proves me wrong.

Given his age and the form he's shown over the last 5 years, I'd have offered him 500K a season. I'm not sure how TPAs work. As far as I know, the club can introduce them but can't play any role in negotiating an agreement. So 500K + introductions for another 100K in TPAs.

If he was going to be an interchange utility, like he has been for QLD, 500K is fair, IMO. Considering the club is paying Mbye 350K to do that!

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
My view Hook will start the long 23 season as coach. By round 12 it will be obvious to everyone that we will be in the bottom half of the competition and uncompetitive once again. Then payout the remaining $225,000 of his $450k a year salary. I pray they don't drop Dean Young in as coach then and get someone from outside the Dragons non existent culture since 2011 and start afresh. If so 2024 will see an improvement but not enough to make the 8 but 25 will see us back in the 8. Time will tell but there is far too much internal faction fighting between the WIn and Dragons board members to see it any other way, sadly and it is clear we cannot attract the players we need in these current circumstances.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
My view Hook will start the long 23 season as coach. By round 12 it will be obvious to everyone that we will be in the bottom half of the competition and uncompetitive once again. Then payout the remaining $225,000 of his $450k a year salary. I pray they don't drop Dean Young in as coach then and get someone from outside the Dragons non existent culture since 2011 and start afresh. If so 2024 will see an improvement but not enough to make the 8 but 25 will see us back in the 8. Time will tell but there is far too much internal faction fighting between the WIn and Dragons board members to see it any other way, sadly and it is clear we cannot attract the players we need in these current circumstances.
I think you're right. I just hope you're wrong. No reason next year has to be a write off and then 2024 be a "rebuilding" year. A good coach can make next year about rebuilding and then competitive after that.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
I think you're right. I just hope you're wrong. No reason next year has to be a write off and then 2024 be a "rebuilding" year. A good coach can make next year about rebuilding and then competitive after that.
I'm just using my own experiences. It takes time and effort to change a poor culture and that is only achievable if everyone buys in. From the club executives to the junior club players, everyone

Ryan

SGI Jersey Flegg
Good post.
I think he's right too but I wonder, is there any good news at all? Anything to be optimistic about?

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Reckon you may get your wish now, without Albert's power and influence and his power broker mate Doust on his own, Dean's chances of being our next coach have nose dived. So the hunt is on for Griffin's successor.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
Reckon you may get your wish now, without Albert's power and influence and his power broker mate Doust on his own, Dean's chances of being our next coach have nose dived. So the hunt is on for Griffin's successor.
Good luck to Dean Young to come home and have a very successful coaching career. In not less than 5 years from now.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
Des Hasler in the news about wanting to become a head coach again. Talk of him talking over early in the season at Dragons, Newcastle or Gold Coast if those teams have a bad start to the season. Dragons play GC for the second time in only round 6. I wonder if either team loses those two games, that will be the end.

I like the idea of Hasler coming in provided he is under strict salary cap supervision. No back-ended deals but for exceptional circumstances.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Des Hasler in the news about wanting to become a head coach again. Talk of him talking over early in the season at Dragons, Newcastle or Gold Coast if those teams have a bad start to the season. Dragons play GC for the second time in only round 6. I wonder if either team loses those two games, that will be the end.

I like the idea of Hasler coming in provided he is under strict salary cap supervision. No back-ended deals but for exceptional circumstances.
Hasler is not a good fit for us because he demands discipline and won't cop any interference from the front office. Our club and team culture certainly doesn't satisfy his requirements unfortunately

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
That's why he is a great fit ..... the Board will not let it happen .......
My comments were tongue in cheek anyone would be better than what we have nobody except the desperate want of have come to our club to play under Griffin. I said in another post our early season draw will dictate how we are travelling after round 6 we play the Titans twice in that period if the do the double on us Griffin may be shown the door

Illusion

SGI Jersey Flegg
My comments were tongue in cheek anyone would be better than what we have nobody except the desperate want of have come to our club to play under Griffin. I said in another post our early season draw will dictate how we are travelling after round 6 we play the Titans twice in that period if the do the double on us Griffin may be shown the door
I know it was tongue in cheek , our lot would be crapping themselves if it was to happen 😅 He would listen to no one .....

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
Hasler is not a good fit for us because he demands discipline and won't cop any interference from the front office. Our club and team culture certainly doesn't satisfy his requirements unfortunately
There is only so much a head coach can do to control players off the field but Hasler would definitely instill better discipline.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup

From fans perspective:
  • Not an old boy √
  • Proven record of success √
  • Demands and seemingly gains respect √
  • Doesn't let the head office manage the team √
  • Instills discipline √
From the head office perspective:
  • Not an old boy ×
  • Proven record of success ×
  • Demands and seemingly gains respect ×
  • Doesn't let the head office manage the team ×
  • Instills discipline √