Edward

SGI Jersey Flegg

For me:
  1. Hasler
  2. Flanagan
  3. Ryles
  4. Young
  5. Hornby
Nothing against Young or Hornby but they are still too green in regard to their coaching careers. Ryles has been assistant at Melbourne and the Rorters and is apparently highly regarded but so was the guy at Canterbury. I know it's early days yet but he didn't get off to a good start. A reminder some of the best assistants just can't cut it as head coaches.
Said from day 1 on here ex players shouldn't be head coach at our club. So Hasler and or Flanagan there is also McGuire but at a last resort. So if these rumours are to be believed what can we expect from the players
Even though I agree the record with ex players as coaches speaks for itself, McGuire would be the last in that list for me. The modern game seems to have left his style of coaching behind. That's the case for Griffin as well.

Eric

Staff

For me:
  1. Hasler
  2. Flanagan
  3. Ryles
  4. Young
  5. Hornby
Nothing against Young or Hornby but they are still too green in regard to their coaching careers. Ryles has been assistant at Melbourne and the Rorters and is apparently highly regarded but so was the guy at Canterbury. I know it's early days yet but he didn't get off to a good start. A reminder some of the best assistants just can't cut it as head coaches.
Flanagan or Hasler for me as well. Both have some baggage. The PED drama at the Shonkies and the sorry state Hasler left the Dogs in. But I like that Hasler was seemingly fired from Manly for not taking any crap from the owner. The owners job was to make money and Hasler's job was to run the NRL team. Seems the owner couldn't help but stick his grubby little nose into Hasler's job and Hasler wouldn't have it. I like that!

Illusion

SGI Jersey Flegg

For me:
  1. Hasler
  2. Flanagan
  3. Ryles
  4. Young
  5. Hornby
Just me , I have this feeling this is , being all setup for Dean to coach ..... When Hook was appointed , Daddy Young sent his son away to learn his trade ..... At the time when things were going pear shape with Hook why wasnt Flanno even talked about ......

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
Just me , I have this feeling this is , being all setup for Dean to coach ..... When Hook was appointed , Daddy Young sent his son away to learn his trade ..... At the time when things were going pear shape with Hook why wasnt Flanno even talked about ......
I fear you are right. As far as I remember, Flanno was talked about here but that's as far as it went.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
Flanagan or Hasler for me as well. Both have some baggage. The PED drama at the Shonkies and the sorry state Hasler left the Dogs in. But I like that Hasler was seemingly fired from Manly for not taking any crap from the owner. The owners job was to make money and Hasler's job was to run the NRL team. Seems the owner couldn't help but stick his grubby little nose into Hasler's job and Hasler wouldn't have it. I like that!
Don't forget that Flanno's GF victory was in a team that was over the cap during the season but apparently, "in compliance on GF day". So they cheated to get where they did but didn't cheat once they were there. That's still cheating as far as I'm concerned.

But he's a good coach for sure. Built the Shonkies from the bottom up in only a few seasons. By his third season, the same time Hook has been in charge at the Dragons, they were a good team.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
In my humble view that would be another mistake however it would not surprise me

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup

Dragons coach ‘must reapply for his job’, but sticking around amid interviews​

Dragons coach Anthony Griffin has been told he’ll need to reapply for his job and that the club will soon start interviewing potential coaches for 2024 and beyond. The Nine papers report the under-fire coach has not yet convinced the club he’s the man to hold the job beyond this season, which is the third and final year of his current contract. Griffin’s future was discussed at a board meeting on Tuesday and he has since agreed to fight for his future.

He's been a disaster but seems to be giving some young players a go now. His recruitment of Liddle and Musgrove has really surprised me. After the first 2 games, I can't understand why Tigers didn't want them.

So I hope the team plays well, wins and earns Griffin an extension.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup

Dragons coach ‘must reapply for his job’, but sticking around amid interviews​

Dragons coach Anthony Griffin has been told he’ll need to reapply for his job and that the club will soon start interviewing potential coaches for 2024 and beyond. The Nine papers report the under-fire coach has not yet convinced the club he’s the man to hold the job beyond this season, which is the third and final year of his current contract. Griffin’s future was discussed at a board meeting on Tuesday and he has since agreed to fight for his future.

He's been a disaster but seems to be giving some young players a go now. His recruitment of Liddle and Musgrove has really surprised me. After the first 2 games, I can't understand why Tigers didn't want them.

So I hope the team plays well, wins and earns Griffin an extension.
Looks like I'll have to take my suit out of the cobwebs dust it off and head down to the Illawarra. 😉

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
Dragons hating media doesn't like what the Dragons are doing with their coach. So the club must be doing something right.

DragonsTragic

SGI Jersey Flegg
Board is kidding themselves if they are sweating on an answer from Bellyache. Ryles has done his apprenticeship in two different systems (Storm and Chooks) and has been away from the Dragons long enough to be clear of the politics. He will attract and retain talent. We need to jump now, not miss out like we did with Fitzy.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
Board is kidding themselves if they are sweating on an answer from Bellyache. Ryles has done his apprenticeship in two different systems (Storm and Chooks) and has been away from the Dragons long enough to be clear of the politics. He will attract and retain talent. We need to jump now, not miss out like we did with Fitzy.
You would think so but the record with rookie, old boy coaches is so bad........ I'd prefer Hasler.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
I'm just saying, Hook's recruitment of a few players has so far proven him right and every Dragons supporter I know wrong.

Is trying to sign Bellamy even on the agenda? I haven't heard that.

Illusion

SGI Jersey Flegg
I'm just saying, Hook's recruitment of a few players has so far proven him right and every Dragons supporter I know wrong.

Is trying to sign Bellamy even on the agenda? I haven't heard that.
Mate I just have a feeling that Hook isn't making all the calls anymore .... As for Bellamy , can't see that happening at all .... Surely he will stay on at the Storm in some role .......

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
Mate I just have a feeling that Hook isn't making all the calls anymore .... As for Bellamy , can't see that happening at all .... Surely he will stay on at the Storm in some role .......
His attitude / philosophy does seem to have completely changed. I think he's making the calls but was told he has to adjust his thinking in this way or he won't see out round 4.